The "which famous person died today" thread

A long fantastic life for John. I've been a fan since the Beano album when Clapton was awesome, then came Peter Green who was awesome, then came Mick Taylor who was awesome, they all did their apprenticeship in the Bluesbreakers and all left to form or join other bands.

I love his early albums, my favourite being Bare Wires but also Jazz Blues Fusion and Laurel Canyon. I remember he was from Macclesfield, moved to London for gigs and recording, then went for a holiday to Laurel canyon in LA and decided this was where he would live, so he moved there.
He's played gigs all his life, he lived a life he must have dreamed off. He will be missed. RIP John and thanks for the great music.

This track seems fitting. I Know Now.

A bit late on to this, but here's the thing. I was completely unaware that he had died. Today, for the first time in about ten years, at the very least, I fished out The Turning Point from my collection, purely on a whim. I have a great love for that album, not diminished with the years. I'd get up early on spring and summer mornings in 1970 to revise A levels, and put that on, obsessively. I think I know every note of Johnny Almond's soaring solos.
Inspired by the enduring excellence of that album (which I can't recommend highly enough, although it stands at some distance from nearly all his other work), I got onto the internet to see what he was up to these days.
Gobsmacked! It's the coincidence that I couldn't believe. I swear I hadn't thought about him for at least ten years.
A grand old life, though, and nothing whatsoever to be regretted. To be touring and still playing the blues as faithfully as you ever did way into your eighties. That takes some doing. And his bands, as everyone knows, were a kind of academy of excellence for a number of guitarists who went on, in some cases, to become much more famous than Mayall himself. Not that he begrudged them that.
I've never listened to the pre-Turning Point albums as closely as I should have. I shall now go back to them, and re-educate my ear…

RIP Chi Chi Rodriguez, aged 88 — great Hall of Fame Puerto Rican golfer, practicer of the putter-as-rapier birdie celebration, philanthropist and inspiration for Devo’s “Are We Not Men? We Are Devo” album cover.
The embodiment of pulling oneself up by the bootstraps. A poor boy from Puerto Rico, who learnt to play golf by practising with a tree branch as a club and a tin can as the ball. RIP.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.