The worlds top sports and your opinion of the biggest icon

I agree with Magic Johnson. When asked is Michael
Jordan the best ever, Magic replied; “I think so! I think he’s not only the best basketball player but probably the greatest athlete that’s ever played any sport!”

I was and always will be a City fan, I loved and love City players, I was and am a football fan, and I played football as a kid... until I got into basketball saw MJ play! This is in Great Britain where basketball isn’t a big sport in any way. I didn’t even really know anyone else who was into basketball.

But after a few times watching Jordan, I used to sleep with a basketball by the side of my bed so the first thing I did every day was pick up a basketball. I’d wake up in the morning so I could go to play basketball in the park before school, at break and dinner at school and on the way home from school... all because of Jordan.

In the end I only got to 6’4” (i was a centre and that’s small) and I never became good enough to make it. Now I barely ever watch basketball anymore and I’m still into football and more into rugby league than basketball (which I started playing after I knew I wasn’t good enough to make it in the basketball haha!)

But MJ was just the greatest in any sport!

Last edited by a moderator:
Obviously all subjective to your age
As a 50 year old bloke, I have a little trouble with people who people nominate Maradona for football, as you never got to see him, bar a WC every 4 years, and the very odd occasion Football Italia showed Napoli, on a Sunday. There simply wasn't enough exposure, at that time.

So, as 50 year old

Football. Phil Jon..... sorry, Messi

Golf. Woods #

Boxing. Tyson##

RL Hanley or Langer... can't make my mind up

Cricket. Warne. You just breathed a MASSIVE sigh of relief, when he wasn't bowling

Then there's the sports I couldn't give two fucks about, but still have seen.

F1 Senna
Tennis. Federer
Snooker. Hendry
Darts. Taylor (spits)
Athletics. Michael Johnson (he made it look easy)

# at the risk of contradicting myself, because of age, I'd go for Jack (watching old, readily available repeats). He was playing week on week against legends, Watson, Palmer, Player, Seve,... Woods just used to beat up Mickelson, Els, Singh, etc. There's a world of difference

##again, because of age contradiction, I'd go for Ali. Again, in his time, there were greats. Tyson just used to hammer fat Yanks like Jesse Ferguson, etc. The heavyweight division was poor, when Tyson was in his pomp

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.