The worst thing about farcical officiating

Is that is shouldn't be a shock after Howard Webb took over at pgmol?

Funnily enough I had a conversation with a mate after todays game and said them lot didn’t beat us today piss poor refereeing did, and football seems to be becoming more and more of a sideshow to the ‘product’.
When you consider that the vast majority of revenue across all entities involved actually comes before and after matches, I suppose it was only a matter of time before the games themselves were relegated to supporting roles for control and enhancement of the narrative.

It depends entirely on how one interprets “interfering with play”.

Hundreds of other referees with hundreds of other previous incidents have interpreted a player running toward a ball (or, in this case, running 20 yards over the ball) from an offside position to be “interfering with play”, including on several occasions in other matches today.

But apparently this particular referee interpreted it differently in our match.
Yeah I watched Liverpool earlier today and Alexander-Arnold was adjudged Offside for letting the ball run out of play for a throw-in from an offside position. He had no players near him and interfered with play FAR less than Rashford did.

The worst thing about today’s farcical officiating for me is not that we were robbed of point(s) or that we lost to United (though, both are bad, mind).

The worst aspect—and perhaps a “happy consequence” for those behind the incredibly suspect officiating in our matches as of late—is that it makes me feel like a dupe.

You start questioning whether you are an idiot for continually wanting to watch us play whilst trying to ignore the increasing evidence that the league are trying to manipulate outcomes to ensure they have a different winner this season.

And before the usual suspects come out and accuse me of proclaiming a complete and total conspiracy against City, I don’t think it is specifically against us because we are Manchester City. Nor do I think the manipulation is present in every match or every decision. But I do think it is becoming increasingly apparent that the league want to “protect the product” and they don’t want a club—in this case us—dominating for long periods of time in the modern iteration of the competition and so they’ll do what they can to attempt to prevent that (with varying degrees of success).

And only an idiot watches the WWE thinking it is a real wrestling match, right?

It’s begun to really hamper my enjoyment of watching us and football in general.

I have always thought that the premier league was no different to other football competitions in the world and that match fixing or manipulation has been present for decades. But it was more one-off and to do with gambling and individual dodgy situations. It wasn’t systematic.

But it is genuinely starting to feel more designed and comprehensive as the seasons have gone on. Not just against us, but with other clubs, as well, to aid the league’s cash cow clubs (PL and FA executives have even come out and said it is not good for the brand to have the most globally followed clubs not winning things).

I may be in the minority, and I know I am opening myself to all manner of abuse with this thread, but I felt it was worth sharing, as maybe others are feeling the same way.

Football has absolutely changed since I was a lad, don’t think there is good faith argument to the contrary. But the last few years it has seemingly gone the way of pure entertainment rather than at least sport for entertainment.

The drama is now the main product; the football is secondary. Broadcasters, social media, and certain clubs have ensured that transition in my opinion. I am actually starting to think a few of them see the actual football games as a bit of a hinderance to the product at this point. The drama is more profitable than the goals.

Maybe I am wrong and have just become jaded. Perhaps I just need to take a break for awhile, and regain hopefully the love I have lost.

Am I completely by myself here?
It was blatant cheating, nobody will ever convince me that cheating doesn't go on in our premier League. One day it will come out, just...
The worst thing about today’s farcical officiating for me is not that we were robbed of point(s) or that we lost to United (though, both are bad, mind).

The worst aspect—and perhaps a “happy consequence” for those behind the incredibly suspect officiating in our matches as of late—is that it makes me feel like a dupe.

You start questioning whether you are an idiot for continually wanting to watch us play whilst trying to ignore the increasing evidence that the league are trying to manipulate outcomes to ensure they have a different winner this season.

And before the usual suspects come out and accuse me of proclaiming a complete and total conspiracy against City, I don’t think it is specifically against us because we are Manchester City. Nor do I think the manipulation is present in every match or every decision. But I do think it is becoming increasingly apparent that the league want to “protect the product” and they don’t want a club—in this case us—dominating for long periods of time in the modern iteration of the competition and so they’ll do what they can to attempt to prevent that (with varying degrees of success).

And only an idiot watches the WWE thinking it is a real wrestling match, right?

It’s begun to really hamper my enjoyment of watching us and football in general.

I have always thought that the premier league was no different to other football competitions in the world and that match fixing or manipulation has been present for decades. But it was more one-off and to do with gambling and individual dodgy situations. It wasn’t systematic.

But it is genuinely starting to feel more designed and comprehensive as the seasons have gone on. Not just against us, but with other clubs, as well, to aid the league’s cash cow clubs (PL and FA executives have even come out and said it is not good for the brand to have the most globally followed clubs not winning things).

I may be in the minority, and I know I am opening myself to all manner of abuse with this thread, but I felt it was worth sharing, as maybe others are feeling the same way.

Football has absolutely changed since I was a lad, don’t think there is good faith argument to the contrary. But the last few years it has seemingly gone the way of pure entertainment rather than at least sport for entertainment.

The drama is now the main product; the football is secondary. Broadcasters, social media, and certain clubs have ensured that transition in my opinion. I am actually starting to think a few of them see the actual football games as a bit of a hinderance to the product at this point. The drama is more profitable than the goals.

Maybe I am wrong and have just become jaded. Perhaps I just need to take a break for awhile, and regain hopefully the love I have lost.

Am I completely by myself here?
blatant cheating, nobody will ever convince me that cheating doesn't go on in our premier League. One day it will come out, just as it did in Italy

Anyone else find it really odd that since VAR come in the only 2 stadiums not to have a big screen is the swamp and anfield. not a conspiracy theorist but does seem odd that its generally those two stadiums that see ridiculous decisions go against teams and go for the home teams?

Is that is shouldn't be a shock after Howard Webb took over at pgmol?
Probably not. Still incredibly infuriating and saddening, though.

Imagine Howard Webb’s pitch for taking on the role was him walking in, sitting down at the conference table, lighting a cigarette, taking a puff, leaning in, and simply saying, “I’ll do what needs to be done.”

All teams (including us) get marginal decisions in their favour (or against) from time-to-time. But there are only two teams that get flagrantly lopsided largesse. Like TTA handball at Anfield or this one. And you can include the Rashford goal against the Scousers earlier this season (Scum being marginally ahead of Scousers in the corruption league)

Anyone else find it really odd that since VAR come in the only 2 stadiums not to have a big screen is the swamp and anfield. not a conspiracy theorist but does seem odd that its generally those two stadiums that see ridiculous decisions go against teams and go for the home teams?
They don’t show VAR decisions on the big screens at any ground.

May as well not have any big screens anywhere, they’re just glorified scoreboards.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.