The worst thing about farcical officiating

We are winning titles in spite of terrible officiating.

That feels great for me. What a team and manager. Sensational.
Love the team, hate the game now.

And we won’t always be able to overcome the handicap.

But even that is beside the point of my OP: the point is there should be no handicap. The fact there is takes a lot of the joy out of football, at least for me.

I want sport not theatre.

It's death by 1000 papercuts for a lot of us though. We have to play at 120% every game to win.

I get that. Today was very frustrating. For me, that was a criminal decision.

Think the OP is right that they are trying to defend the brand. Some are concerned that City may win 5 from 6 titles and make the league look like the Bundesliga. They weren't concerned when United won 8 from 11, though.

The worst thing about today’s farcical officiating for me is not that we were robbed of point(s) or that we lost to United (though, both are bad, mind).

The worst aspect—and perhaps a “happy consequence” for those behind the incredibly suspect officiating in our matches as of late—is that it makes me feel like a dupe.

You start questioning whether you are an idiot for continually wanting to watch us play whilst trying to ignore the increasing evidence that the league are trying to manipulate outcomes to ensure they have a different winner this season.

And before the usual suspects come out and accuse me of proclaiming a complete and total conspiracy against City, I don’t think it is specifically against us because we are Manchester City. Nor do I think the manipulation is present in every match or every decision. But I do think it is becoming increasingly apparent that the league want to “protect the product” and they don’t want a club—in this case us—dominating for long periods of time in the modern iteration of the competition and so they’ll do what they can to attempt to prevent that (with varying degrees of success).

And only an idiot watches the WWE thinking it is a real wrestling match, right?

It’s begun to really hamper my enjoyment of watching us and football in general.

I have always thought that the premier league was no different to other football competitions in the world and that match fixing or manipulation has been present for decades. But it was more one-off and to do with gambling and individual dodgy situations. It wasn’t systematic.

But it is genuinely starting to feel more designed and comprehensive as the seasons have gone on. Not just against us, but with other clubs, as well, to aid the league’s cash cow clubs (PL and FA executives have even come out and said it is not good for the brand to have the most globally followed clubs not winning things).

I may be in the minority, and I know I am opening myself to all manner of abuse with this thread, but I felt it was worth sharing, as maybe others are feeling the same way.

Football has absolutely changed since I was a lad, don’t think there is good faith argument to the contrary. But the last few years it has seemingly gone the way of pure entertainment rather than at least sport for entertainment.

The drama is now the main product; the football is secondary. Broadcasters, social media, and certain clubs have ensured that transition in my opinion. I am actually starting to think a few of them see the actual football games as a bit of a hinderance to the product at this point. The drama is more profitable than the goals.

Maybe I am wrong and have just become jaded. Perhaps I just need to take a break for awhile, and regain hopefully the love I have lost.

Am I completely by myself here?
Funnily enough I had a conversation with a mate after todays game and said them lot didn’t beat us today piss poor refereeing did, and football seems to be becoming more and more of a sideshow to the ‘product’.

When you have the likes of the farcical outcome in the formula one 2 seasons ago,yet we are all led to believe that English football is as clean as a whistle,corruption in Italy,Spain,Germany and France it’s all about tv entertainment now manufacturing an outcome that gets the tv figures around the world through the roof and revenues to go with it,football is a fantastic game/sport but that’s long gone in favour of manufactured outcomes at certain times through out the season..

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.