The worst thing about farcical officiating

The worst thing about today’s farcical officiating for me is not that we were robbed of point(s) or that we lost to United (though, both are bad, mind).

The worst aspect—and perhaps a “happy consequence” for those behind the incredibly suspect officiating in our matches as of late—is that it makes me feel like a dupe.

You start questioning whether you are an idiot for continually wanting to watch us play whilst trying to ignore the increasing evidence that the league are trying to manipulate outcomes to ensure they have a different winner this season.

And before the usual suspects come out and accuse me of proclaiming a complete and total conspiracy against City, I don’t think it is specifically against us because we are Manchester City. Nor do I think the manipulation is present in every match or every decision. But I do think it is becoming increasingly apparent that the league want to “protect the product” and they don’t want a club—in this case us—dominating for long periods of time in the modern iteration of the competition and so they’ll do what they can to attempt to prevent that (with varying degrees of success).

And only an idiot watches the WWE thinking it is a real wrestling match, right?

It’s begun to really hamper my enjoyment of watching us and football in general.

I have always thought that the premier league was no different to other football competitions in the world and that match fixing or manipulation has been present for decades. But it was more one-off and to do with gambling and individual dodgy situations. It wasn’t systematic.

But it is genuinely starting to feel more designed and comprehensive as the seasons have gone on. Not just against us, but with other clubs, as well, to aid the league’s cash cow clubs (PL and FA executives have even come out and said it is not good for the brand to have the most globally followed clubs not winning things).

I may be in the minority, and I know I am opening myself to all manner of abuse with this thread, but I felt it was worth sharing, as maybe others are feeling the same way.

Football has absolutely changed since I was a lad, don’t think there is good faith argument to the contrary. But the last few years it has seemingly gone the way of pure entertainment rather than at least sport for entertainment.

The drama is now the main product; the football is secondary. Broadcasters, social media, and certain clubs have ensured that transition in my opinion. I am actually starting to think a few of them see the actual football games as a bit of a hinderance to the product at this point. The drama is more profitable than the goals.

Maybe I am wrong and have just become jaded. Perhaps I just need to take a break for awhile, and regain hopefully the love I have lost.

Am I completely by myself here?
An excellent summing up.
You are not alone mate.
I would like to run this by you.
If you were a pro footballer and you knew at the beginning of the season that you weren't going to be allowed to win the league, would you be trying your best to win matches with the same vigour, or would you be a bit laissez faire?
Is this why so many City players are off form, and ALL AT THE SAME TIME?
Is this why Pep is being so unusually theatrical (kicking water bottles and the like isn't what Pep does I feel)?
And the less said about the officiating the better.

If this would have happened at the other end of the pitch we all know that it would have been disallowed.
Equally had it been disallowed yesterday it would have been forgotten by now.
The fallout from yesterday only proves how ridiculous it was.
Attwell is either incompetent, weak, corrupt or a combination of all three.
Either way he isn't fit to referee at this level, he was demoted once for a reason and should never have been allowed back.
Good summary, didn’t realise he’d been demoted, on his CV that he helped the Rags, will probably be Webb’s successor when the Rags select their next Chief.

Every single poster who called me a WUM oz wrong. My opinion might wind people up but I ain't doing it for that reason. ...
Ric asked me to stop but I disagree...what's the point of ANY forum I'd another opinion cannot be heard and just cause it upsets people that opinion gets shut down....
I also said I'm only answering people's posts so others have a responsibility to stop as well.( I'd people took the time to notice I went onto other topics but lots just jump on a bandwagon and have a go at people as they see others doing)
Been going in pubs for over 35 years....never one fight ( surprising when a lot of those pubs are in Stockport and were absolute shit holes!).
Nothing about being a know-it-all...just an opinion but nothing I've seen or heard has changed my mind...watched the goal over and over again. Listened to the likes of SWP and other pros who think it wasn't a goal...but I disagree when I then go back and read the rules..listened to others read the rules as well.
And that's where the problem lies. The rules are vague.. they allow the goal to stand within those rules due to their vaguity when everyone knows it shouldn't stand which I've repeatedly said but people are choosing to miss....which is why my argument is that the goal is legal by the rules but it shouldn't be. I'd expect to see a change in the rules come about from this
Because you are wrong - and that's fact, not opinion - so don't start banging on about the "point of ANY forum"

one of the worst decisions in recent memory.

Also I thought surrounding the referee was to be met with a yellow card now? Or did I dream that rule change?

Amendment Law no 2 - Rags also immune from that as well as offside goals ( No 1 )

Good summary, didn’t realise he’d been demoted, on his CV that he helped the Rags, will probably be Webb’s successor when the Rags select their next Chief.
Until yesterday his finest hour was allowing a goal for Watford v Reading when the ball went the wrong side of the post.
If the rags get past Forest, he'll probably get the League Cup final as a reward for his "performance" yesterday.

Every single poster who called me a WUM oz wrong. My opinion might wind people up but I ain't doing it for that reason. ...
Ric asked me to stop but I disagree...what's the point of ANY forum I'd another opinion cannot be heard and just cause it upsets people that opinion gets shut down....
I also said I'm only answering people's posts so others have a responsibility to stop as well.( I'd people took the time to notice I went onto other topics but lots just jump on a bandwagon and have a go at people as they see others doing)
Been going in pubs for over 35 years....never one fight ( surprising when a lot of those pubs are in Stockport and were absolute shit holes!).
Nothing about being a know-it-all...just an opinion but nothing I've seen or heard has changed my mind...watched the goal over and over again. Listened to the likes of SWP and other pros who think it wasn't a goal...but I disagree when I then go back and read the rules..listened to others read the rules as well.
And that's where the problem lies. The rules are vague.. they allow the goal to stand within those rules due to their vaguity when everyone knows it shouldn't stand which I've repeatedly said but people are choosing to miss....which is why my argument is that the goal is legal by the rules but it shouldn't be. I'd expect to see a change in the rules come about from this
Kudos for standing by the conviction of your argument, even if you’ve dropped the parts you realised weren’t actually relevant, like the fact you insisted Rashford had to make physical contact to be interfering in play, I did ask you numerous times how can players then be called offside when standing in an offside position and blocking the keepers view (if there was no physical contact) so you changed direction and made it about line of sight, other posters uploaded pics of Rashford making his body bigger and affecting the line of sight for Akanji, and you’ve now moved onto the laws being vague, thus allowing for subjection/misinterpretation, when somebody has actually uploaded the laws and they are quite clear, it’s yours and the referees interpretation of those laws that is wrong, see Brighton v Liverpool got correct interpretation, and which has been applied thousands of times this way all over the world, find me a comparative goal in professional football that has similarities and I’ll show you a thousand offsides given for players interfering in play this way

Scandalous....

Did anyone notice... In the first half the commentator said about the ref "apparently he wants VAR to stay out of it today." Heard it and i thought what?? Knew something funny would happen...

That would explain the apparent lack of thorough VAR checks on any of our several penalty appeals. How many times do we see those incidents replayed over again in slow motion as VAR go over it. BT replayed them, but only after VAR had very quickly said no penalty.

Last edited:
An excellent summing up.
You are not alone mate.
I would like to run this by you.
If you were a pro footballer and you knew at the beginning of the season that you weren't going to be allowed to win the league, would you be trying your best to win matches with the same vigour, or would you be a bit laissez faire?
Is this why so many City players are off form, and ALL AT THE SAME TIME?
Is this why Pep is being so unusually theatrical (kicking water bottles and the like isn't what Pep does I feel)?
And the less said about the officiating the better.
This opens up a HUGE can of worms.

I obviously believe there is corruption in the way results are manipulated, but for clubs to be in on the fix takes it to a whole new level.

Right just been out in my big reversible City coat, the coat is now back to the sky blue side.

I wont hide, my fight is back, I always wear City garments every single day.

Palace wont be my last game, it's like a switch has been flicked. Mad lol

There wants us to fill pissed of and to walk away. Well they can fuck right off

CTID

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.