The worst thing about farcical officiating

Nope I want to sack it off, it ain’t City fault but if I could be reimbursed of my 4 season cards and sign off for the season I would, that today was blatant

Its not just city , other teams seem to get very suspect decisons

Love city but im done with it ....

Cancelled sky and bt after that today ... will check the scores but wont watch anymore

Sad sad day

Ctid

The worst thing about today’s farcical officiating for me is not that we were robbed of point(s) or that we lost to United (though, both are bad, mind).

The worst aspect—and perhaps a “happy consequence” for those behind the incredibly suspect officiating in our matches as of late—is that it makes me feel like a dupe.

You start questioning whether you are an idiot for continually wanting to watch us play whilst trying to ignore the increasing evidence that the league are trying to manipulate outcomes to ensure they have a different winner this season.

And before the usual suspects come out and accuse me of proclaiming a complete and total conspiracy against City, I don’t think it is specifically against us because we are Manchester City. Nor do I think the manipulation is present in every match or every decision. But I do think it is becoming increasingly apparent that the league want to “protect the product” and they don’t want a club—in this case us—dominating for long periods of time in the modern iteration of the competition and so they’ll do what they can to attempt to prevent that (with varying degrees of success).

And only an idiot watches the WWE thinking it is a real wrestling match, right?

It’s begun to really hamper my enjoyment of watching us and football in general.

I have always thought that the premier league was no different to other football competitions in the world and that match fixing or manipulation has been present for decades. But it was more one-off and to do with gambling and individual dodgy situations. It wasn’t systematic.

But it is genuinely starting to feel more designed and comprehensive as the seasons have gone on. Not just against us, but with other clubs, as well, to aid the league’s cash cow clubs (PL and FA executives have even come out and said it is not good for the brand to have the most globally followed clubs not winning things).

I may be in the minority, and I know I am opening myself to all manner of abuse with this thread, but I felt it was worth sharing, as maybe others are feeling the same way.

Football has absolutely changed since I was a lad, don’t think there is good faith argument to the contrary. But the last few years it has seemingly gone the way of pure entertainment rather than at least sport for entertainment.

The drama is now the main product; the football is secondary. Broadcasters, social media, and certain clubs have ensured that transition in my opinion. I am actually starting to think a few of them see the actual football games as a bit of a hinderance to the product at this point. The drama is more profitable than the goals.

Maybe I am wrong and have just become jaded. Perhaps I just need to take a break for awhile, and regain hopefully the love I have lost.

Am I completely by myself here?
Seems like a therapy post that; do you feel better for having written it?
It’s certainly got plenty of Likes which helps (and I certainly feel the same way this afternoon too mate).

Seems like a therapy post that; do you feel better for having written it?
It’s certainly got plenty of Likes which helps (and I certainly feel the same way this afternoon too mate).
Ha, my sport psychology therapist did suggest this might be a helpful exercise! ;-)

We’ve had big decisions go against us at the swamp and Klanfield. The only way to combat that is to up our game and put in 90 minute performances.

Its not just city , other teams seem to get very suspect decisons

Love city but im done with it ....

Cancelled sky and bt after that today ... will check the scores but wont watch anymore

Sad sad day

Ctid
Sorry to hear this, fella, but I am inching my way to the same.

The sad thing is I am sure my post will get the “cry more” treatment by United fans. Which goes further to support my belief that football isn’t really about the game anymore, it’s about the drama and the controversy. And because we are hated by so many (partly because of the antics of the media and certain other clubs), there is quite a lot of money to be made from us not only losing but in a dubious way.

It checks all of the social media interaction boxes, unfortunately, which makes this sort of thing even more lucrative for the league. They are able to hinder our dominance and increase fan engagement (which, in turn, can be leveraged for higher advertising, sponsorship, and partnership revenues).

As @Blue Maverick also alluded to, this is the WWEification of the league to maximise the brand.

We’ve had big decisions go against us at the swamp and Klanfield. The only way to combat that is to up our game and put in 90 minute performances.
The point of my OP is that we shouldn’t have to overcome manipulation with indefinite stellar performances.

At that point it’s not sport, it’s improv theatre.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.