The worst thing about farcical officiating

The worst thing about today’s farcical officiating for me is not that we were robbed of point(s) or that we lost to United (though, both are bad, mind).

The worst aspect—and perhaps a “happy consequence” for those behind the incredibly suspect officiating in our matches as of late—is that it makes me feel like a dupe.

You start questioning whether you are an idiot for continually wanting to watch us play whilst trying to ignore the increasing evidence that the league are trying to manipulate outcomes to ensure they have a different winner this season.

And before the usual suspects come out and accuse me of proclaiming a complete and total conspiracy against City, I don’t think it is specifically against us because we are Manchester City. Nor do I think the manipulation is present in every match or every decision. But I do think it is becoming increasingly apparent that the league want to “protect the product” and they don’t want a club—in this case us—dominating for long periods of time in the modern iteration of the competition and so they’ll do what they can to attempt to prevent that (with varying degrees of success).

And only an idiot watches the WWE thinking it is a real wrestling match, right?

It’s begun to really hamper my enjoyment of watching us and football in general.

I have always thought that the premier league was no different to other football competitions in the world and that match fixing or manipulation has been present for decades. But it was more one-off and to do with gambling and individual dodgy situations. It wasn’t systematic.

But it is genuinely starting to feel more designed and comprehensive as the seasons have gone on. Not just against us, but with other clubs, as well, to aid the league’s cash cow clubs (PL and FA executives have even come out and said it is not good for the brand to have the most globally followed clubs not winning things).

I may be in the minority, and I know I am opening myself to all manner of abuse with this thread, but I felt it was worth sharing, as maybe others are feeling the same way.

Football has absolutely changed since I was a lad, don’t think there is good faith argument to the contrary. But the last few years it has seemingly gone the way of pure entertainment rather than at least sport for entertainment.

The drama is now the main product; the football is secondary. Broadcasters, social media, and certain clubs have ensured that transition in my opinion. I am actually starting to think a few of them see the actual football games as a bit of a hinderance to the product at this point. The drama is more profitable than the goals.

Maybe I am wrong and have just become jaded. Perhaps I just need to take a break for awhile, and regain hopefully the love I have lost.

Am I completely by myself here?
I feel as you do fella.
Agree with 99% of your post.
The one part though is i honestly believe that the league wouldn't bat an eyelid if the rags or dippers were dominating and winning it year in year out as we've been doing. In fact they would embrace that scenario.
But yes a very taxing and soul searching day today where football is involved.
We've lost to the rags before (many many times) in all the years i've followed City (46 yrs now) but this defeat/result today as left a very very bad taste.

It’s always been corrupt.
I think there’s always been match fixing and manipulation (as I said in my original post).

But the sort of undue influence and product management that we have begun to see in recent years is a new level of comprehensive manipulation.

And I think some of that is down to influences of certain club ownership groups that are accustomed to certain types of guarantees they have in other sports they operate (which do not yet exist in the Premier League).

That has spurred on changes in the way the league is viewed as an enterprise and a more systematic, direct approach to “protecting the brand”.

I feel as you do fella.
Agree with 99% of your post.
The one part though is i honestly believe that the league wouldn't bat an eyelid if the rags or dippers were dominating and winning it year in year out as we've been doing. In fact they would embrace that scenario.
But yes a very taxing and soul searching day today where football is involved.
We've lost to the rags before (many many times) in all the years i've followed City (46 yrs now) but this defeat/result today as left a very very bad taste.
Absolutely agree. It’s not specifically that we lost, it’s the way we have lost in the context of increasingly dubious situations in the recent past.

Other than City matches, I never watch football anymore and haven't for years. I just don't like it anymore for a number of reasons - VAR/bent reds*/players diving or feigning injury/Sky and BT/UEFA.

*I actually typed bent refs but even my phone knows what's going on and autocorrected to reds

I think there’s always been match fixing and manipulation (as I said in my original post).

But the sort of undue influence and product mangrmrt that we have begun to see in recent years is a new level of comprehensive manipulation.

And I think some of that is down to influences of certain club ownership groups that are accustomed to certain types of guarantees they have in other sports they operate (which do not yet exist in the Premier League).

That has spurred on changes in the way the league is viewed as an enterprise and a more systematic, direct approach to “protecting the brand”.
Howard Webb’s return was bound to herald more dodgy decisions. Our officials are an international embarrassment. Putin would be more discrete in his cheating if he was a ref in his spare time.

Last edited:
it will be so funny if PGMOL try and come out and defend the referee and VAR officials after today with the line sorry a mistake was made today in the derby,

They can even defend them with the rule book ? because we have just seen TTA in the Liverpool brighton game given offside for the same thing,

cheating and bent, It's why pep says it's the best team he's managed in winning titles and cups because we don't get or ask for any help from nobody

Howard Webb’s return was bound to herald more dodgy decisions. Our officials are an international embarrassment. Putin would be more discrete in his cheering if he was a ref in his spare time.
I wanted to also expand on my response:

I think our continued dominance despite efforts to hinder us via regulatory intervention (some legal, some highly dubious) and the collapse of the ESL was the last straw for the Liverpool and United ownership groups. They wanted guarantees of stature, relevance, engagement, and—ultimately—revenue, as exist in most American sports. But now that they can’t have that, they want out.

And the league must be quite concerned about that (and the ESL debacle), hence the intensified efforts to create more variability and opportunity for the cash cow clubs.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.