The worst thing about farcical officiating

I think I'm getting more pissed off the more time passes over this. We've been so good that we managed to cope with the blatent handball v liverpool in the champs league(remember pep looking to the sky and shouting 3!). The blatent pen of Stirling in the same game. The non existent offside of the goal in the 2nd leg v liverpool. The handball and the Stirling "offside" vs spurs. The laporte handball vs spurs in the league. The non red card of milliner. I'm sure there's more. But there comes a point where that shit makes a difference. Its happened for years but we've been so good we've managed to overcome it. Anyone remember the ridiculous penalty at the swamp under Alan ball?

I think I'm getting more pissed off the more time passes over this. We've been so good that we managed to cope with the blatent handball v liverpool in the champs league(remember pep looking to the sky and shouting 3!). The non existent offside of the goal in the 2nd leg v liverpool. The handball and the Stirling "offside" vs spurs. The laporte handball vs spurs in the league. The non red card of milliner. I'm sure there's more. But there comes a point where that shit makes a difference. Its happened for years but we've been so good we've managed to overcome it. Anyone remember the ridiculous penalty at the swamp under Alan ball?
I was there. Frontzek was at least 10 feet under the ball but got done.We were one nil up after Uwe scored. The only decision I can remember in our favour was Rodrigo not getting done for handball at Everton.

The worst thing about today’s farcical officiating for me is not that we were robbed of point(s) or that we lost to United (though, both are bad, mind).

The worst aspect—and perhaps a “happy consequence” for those behind the incredibly suspect officiating in our matches as of late—is that it makes me feel like a dupe.

You start questioning whether you are an idiot for continually wanting to watch us play whilst trying to ignore the increasing evidence that the league are trying to manipulate outcomes to ensure they have a different winner this season.

And before the usual suspects come out and accuse me of proclaiming a complete and total conspiracy against City, I don’t think it is specifically against us because we are Manchester City. Nor do I think the manipulation is present in every match or every decision. But I do think it is becoming increasingly apparent that the league want to “protect the product” and they don’t want a club—in this case us—dominating for long periods of time in the modern iteration of the competition and so they’ll do what they can to attempt to prevent that (with varying degrees of success).

And only an idiot watches the WWE thinking it is a real wrestling match, right?

It’s begun to really hamper my enjoyment of watching us and football in general.

I have always thought that the premier league was no different to other football competitions in the world and that match fixing or manipulation has been present for decades. But it was more one-off and to do with gambling and individual dodgy situations. It wasn’t systematic.

But it is genuinely starting to feel more designed and comprehensive as the seasons have gone on. Not just against us, but with other clubs, as well, to aid the league’s cash cow clubs (PL and FA executives have even come out and said it is not good for the brand to have the most globally followed clubs not winning things).

I may be in the minority, and I know I am opening myself to all manner of abuse with this thread, but I felt it was worth sharing, as maybe others are feeling the same way.

Football has absolutely changed since I was a lad, don’t think there is good faith argument to the contrary. But the last few years it has seemingly gone the way of pure entertainment rather than at least sport for entertainment.

The drama is now the main product; the football is secondary. Broadcasters, social media, and certain clubs have ensured that transition in my opinion. I am actually starting to think a few of them see the actual football games as a bit of a hinderance to the product at this point. The drama is more profitable than the goals.

Maybe I am wrong and have just become jaded. Perhaps I just need to take a break for awhile, and regain hopefully the love I have lost.

Am I completely by myself here?
I completely agree with the OP, it’s really starting to give me mental issues, and I can’t deal with how bent I believe the game has become, City and other teams are being monumentally shafted at the expense of certain teams, or to gain certain results and I’m not sure if it’s gambling related or just money being farmed back to where the PL, FA and connected people want it, but whichever it is, I’m really feeling down and distressed by it. Football should be about the best teams winning and enjoyment, not about manipulation by money and power. We’re being mugged.

I was there. Frontzek was at least 10 feet under the ball but got done.We were one nil up after Uwe scored. The only decision I can remember in our favour was Rodrigo not getting done for handball at Everton.
I was there too. I remember cheering with the rest of the blue cos we assumed it was a foul against us. Even Cantona threw his hands up before he realised he was given the foul!

If we'd gone for the throat at 1-0 ( or even better the start of the game ) instead of the slow ponderous build up before the goal,none of this would matter,cos we would of won,but we didn't,and lost.
Some truth in that,

Rags are fuckin shit, seen enough yesterday to confirm that but we are not playing well.

Only thing I can think of is that fuckin World Cup!
The only 2 proper sides with a lot of players at the thing were us and the Dippers.

Both have fallen off a cliff form wise this season compared to last. It has allowed the best of the rest to look a lot better than they are.

Fuckin Rags, cheating, snivelling and moaning to get a decision.
Arse do those silly choreographed celebrations when they score or win, small time.

If we can settle down and improve 10% we can reel them in,

Got to stop this cautious possession bullshit though, the best and technically superior players should be able to score against the shite in the PL.

Think back to Villa last season, 3 goals needed, 3 goals scored!

Wake up City

I completely agree with the OP, it’s really starting to give me mental issues, and I can’t deal with how bent I believe the game has become, City and other teams are being monumentally shafted at the expense of certain teams, or to gain certain results and I’m not sure if it’s gambling related or just money being farmed back to where the PL, FA and connected people want it, but whichever it is, I’m really feeling down and distressed by it. Football should be about the best teams winning and enjoyment, not about manipulation by money and power. We’re being mugged.
Don't ruminate on it too much as it's beyond your control and the feelings and thoughts you have don't change it.

Don't ruminate on it too much as it's beyond your control and the feelings and thoughts you have don't change it.
Cheers bud, but watching football is really affecting me at the minute, so I think it’s time to call it a day which saddens me even more, but it’s just wrong.

Cheers bud, but watching football is really affecting me at the minute, so I think it’s time to call it a day which saddens me even more, but it’s just wrong.
It depends on your situation. Never rely on football to bring you joy when times are not great as she's a cruel mistress, is football and you risk walking the same path as the gambling man who rarely wins but constantly chases it. But then to deny yourself of the pleasure that comes with watching City win would also be a shame just because you can't deal with the loss; the experience of losing only adds to the pleasure you experience when you win. So each disappointment is only another addition to the eventual pleasure you will experience when we win.

0-2 down against Villa to go n win the league, for example, without that initial disappointment that eventual joy would never have been as intense.

But then you add the possibility of corruption into it? So you realise this and cut yourself off from it, not letting it bother you. But then that's also a shame as you can no longer experience the joy if you think the whole game is rigged. I hope it's not rigged because I still want to experience the pleasure of moments like that Aguero goal.But I do see your point. If that's how it is and it's all rigged then definitely distance yourself from it all. But what a shame that football fans would feel like that.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.