Those of us who thought Arsenal couldn't be caught, when did you start to believe again?

The Three Draws.

West Ham was a game they were winning comfortably, but the Hammers showed guile and resolve and got a deserved point. Liverpool, they do the same again, but in reality Arsenal should have lost that game. Southampton just confirmed what West Ham had started; Arsenal were tired, overconfident and losing control of the title race.

Still required City to do our thing, and boy did we!

It is a very good point about the Liverpool draw.
But us destroying them on the 26th April finished their mentality.

West Ham 2-2 draw

A draw at Anfield was a good result regardless of how the media framed it as two points thrown away. Being 2-0 up and in cruise control against a struggling West Ham team and failing to win showed some real cracks in their armour

When they were dancing all over the pitch after beating Bournemouth with the help of the "timekeeper".
I thought, you actually believe you've done it with 3 months to go you silly tw#ts.
You ain't get chased down by any old Tom Dick and Harry outfit, this is Manchester City who are relentless sharks and you are wearing red.

I'll be honest after the rags game i thought Arsenal would win it and that we'd been majorly screwed over. However, after i'd calmed down a bit & had a chat with my mate, we came to the conclusion that we could still do it as Arsenal still hadn't had a wobble yet. Just glad that wobble did come when we went on a mad un!
Yes, same. That was a wtf cheats moment. It was a pretty much foregone conclusion we should at very least draw.
It felt like the PiGMOL were arranging the details of Arsenal winning league and united getting top 4.

Bizzarely there was a point when I feared the rags might win it, we couldn't get out of third gear and Arsenal didn't convince me. Thankfully rags fell apart and we battered Arsenal at home following up with a win at Fulham, that's when I started to believe.

Looking back at the scores, and the timeline, because you forget things.
There were signs from way back. Us beating them conclusively at their gaff in February (without even playing the football we know we can play) was one. But prior to that they'd drawn at home to Brentford, and lost away to Everton. They then seemed to pick themselves up. They got the results. But I for one thought that it was strange that they went 2-0 down to Villa in the first place, not that they finally won it in eight minutes of injury time.
They then went out of the Europa League to a useful, but hardly ogre-like, Sporting Lisbon. I never saw that as an advantage, as many on here did. I thought, “Putting extra pressure on themselves by putting all their eggs in one basket”.
Cracks were appearing. The truth is that they played their most scintillating and solid football before the WC break, and to some extent in January after it – until they met us in the Cup.
April, obviously, was an unqualified disaster for them. All the draws they got before coming to us were moral defeats. Getting a draw against a team, Southampton, that everyone else had been spanking was not a mentality monster triumph, which is the way it was being spun by some. I thought the same about the Bournemouth game in March. To squeak through, again in injury time, again against a team that everyone else had been caning for fun was a sign not of strength, but of strain.
Things had been leading up to what happened at the Etihad, although I will admit that I didn't expect the gulf in class to be revealed quite so starkly. But then, this team constantly surprises me: I didn't expect the gulf in class to be so stark one week ago. (Only one week! Christ, it seems like a lifetime ago, already. We've won a three-in-a-row since then…) Who did?
I was quietly confident that everything was adding up. What was surprising given the football we often played in the first half of the season was not that we weren't top, but that we were even still in the conversation for winning the league at the halfway mark.
Their season reached its high-water mark shortly after the WC, and then started to decline, and ours started to get serious shortly after that.
So yes, there were plenty of grounds for continuing to believe.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.