Those working from home

Back to work today after Christmas and the New Year

Hated it.

Got home and the Mrs is sat on the sofa, music on, brew on the little table, tapping away on her laptop, working from home.

FFS!

WFH is a win win situation for me and the employer.

I'm more productive working from home with there being fewer distractions.

Meetings are easier on teams when discussing spreadsheets as opposed to pissing about in meeting rooms trying to get screen share or a projector to work. Or crowding round a computer screen.

I'm very happy with the work life balance which is a huge non-monetary perk the company is able to offer.

I'm saving on fuel which is putting money back in my pocket - another non-monetary perk from the company.

We are all expected to retire at a later age so huge health benefits which will help prolong our careers. Can eat healthily from home and I'm able to go to the local gym early once I've finished work. As opposed to sitting in traffic for over an hour and often sacking the gym off.

One threat for me and is why I attend the office once or twice a week is your company can recruit from anywhere in the country / globe with WFH being effective which could restrict employment opportunities within the local area.

WFH is a win win situation for me and the employer.

I'm more productive working from home with there being fewer distractions.

Meetings are easier on teams when discussing spreadsheets as opposed to pissing about in meeting rooms trying to get screen share or a projector to work. Or crowding round a computer screen.

I'm very happy with the work life balance which is a huge non-monetary perk the company is able to offer.

I'm saving on fuel which is putting money back in my pocket - another non-monetary perk from the company.

We are all expected to retire at a later age so huge health benefits which will help prolong our careers. Can eat healthily from home and I'm able to go to the local gym early once I've finished work. As opposed to sitting in traffic for over an hour and often sacking the gym off.

One threat for me and is why I attend the office once or twice a week is your company can recruit from anywhere in the country / globe with WFH being effective which could restrict employment opportunities within the local area.

It's been a huge positive from covid times. Companies have had to accept that the technology exists and recognise the benefits in giving their staff flexibility. I used to spend a whole day in the car for a 1hr meeting, now I click a button. My old company refused to allow us to work from home despite that increased productivity, so I left. My current place allows much more flexibility and it's brilliant. I actually go into the office more as a result, because it's a positive and upbeat environment and I enjoy the banter. At home you can get your head down and crack on with things, but having three young kids means I don't have a dedicated office space for more than about 6 hrs and it's not ideal. It's been great seeing more of them though, doing the school run and just being able to be more patient with them.

Working from home since March 2020. Fine when it's busy as it's easy to crack on with things without being mithered. On the flip-side there's no water-cooler chit-chat when things are quiet. I do miss that.

Working from home since March 2020. Fine when it's busy as it's easy to crack on with things without being mithered. On the flip-side there's no water-cooler chit-chat when things are quiet. I do miss that.

do you go into office at all ?

I don't get a great deal done when at home, too many distractions. Took a more office based job last year but a couple of bad apples within the team really bring down the mood. I went in really positive yesterday but didn't realise how much I disliked it there until yesterday (first time I've had time off since starting there).

I'm going to look at something a bit more hands on over the next month or two, on a hiding to nothing working full-time in a role I have no passion for compared to my hobbies and other areas of life. Quite upsetting but I've got the ability to get myself out of my current situation even if it means taking a pay cut.

do you go into office at all ?
No. Been in once since March 2020 & that was to collect personal belongings. There is zero pressure from above to go in & from my team of 15 only a couple go in maybe 1 day a week in order to make use of the on-site gym. It is weird this way of working & not what I'd envisaged. I don't think it's particularly healthy & I do wonder about the long-term impact of this on society.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.