Three years of bad transfer dealings

mansour's tow ropes said:
Ray78 said:
We have been far too timid since 2012, its seems both penny pinching and a fear of upsetting the balance of the 2011/12 team have cost us with the signings, and the result is that only Gareth Barry out of the first 11 has been upgraded in the 3 years since then. Diabolical really.

Surely the club will have to change their attitude now and stop signing squad players. Caballero, Sagna, Fernando all pointless signings, from now on we should only sign a player if we believe they have to potential to improve upon the current best 11. Not deliberately signing a right back who everyone acknowledges is a step down from the current right back (seemingly even the player himself). The principle of that is all wrong. I just hope that Bony won't fall into this category, and will bring a significant contribution to the first team.

As others have said, its all well blaming FFP, but we spent a huge amount on Mangala who is yet to put a run of consistent, good performances together so that argument goes out the window.

We need proper, top notch signings who are among the best in their position in their league if not the world (I'm thinking Silva and Yaya when I say that). A superstar on the level of Aguero wouldn't go amiss either. No idea what shape our finances are in but we need to sign a better standard of players, simple as really.

Who could of we realistically bought with the Mangala money?

don't know, not my job, but don't tell me we couldn't get a serious holding/deep lying midfield enforcer as well as a good centre half for £45m+

Benatia was the alternative but he looked just as shaky as Mangala and is 6 years older. As for holding midfielders Fernando is a good player but not the right fit granted. £12m isn't a bad price and we could get most of our money back if we did sell him in the summer. I would of been happy keeping Garcia but again he doesn't suit our system.

Ray78 said:
Ray78 said:
Who could of we realistically bought with the Mangala money?

don't know, not my job, but don't tell me we couldn't get a serious holding/deep lying midfield enforcer as well as a good centre half for £45m+

Benatia was the alternative but he looked just as shaky as Mangala and is 6 years older. As for holding midfielders Fernando is a good player but not the right fit granted. £12m isn't a bad price and we could get most of our money back if we did sell him in the summer. I would been happy keeping Garcia but again he doesn't suit our system.

Who's that centre half, Godin I think, who went for peanuts and is one of the top defenders in La Liga (Uruguayan)? As for Fernando I don't understand the whole 'we're getting value for money' argument that a few people have suggested on here, if he isn't good enough he isn't good enough, regardless of his fee. Chelsea got Matic back for just over £20m I think and he is a far better player than Fernando.

Ray78 said:

Benatia was the alternative but he looked just as shaky as Mangala and is 6 years older. As for holding midfielders Fernando is a good player but not the right fit granted. £12m isn't a bad price and we could get most of our money back if we did sell him in the summer. I would been happy keeping Garcia but again he doesn't suit our system.

Who's that centre half, Godin I think, who went for peanuts and is one of the top defenders in La Liga (Uruguayan)? As for Fernando I don't understand the whole 'we're getting value for money' argument that a few people have suggested on here, if he isn't good enough he isn't good enough, regardless of his fee. Chelsea got Matic back for just over £20m I think and he is a far better player than Fernando.

Godin wouldn't of gone for peanuts as he signed a 5 year contract extension December 2013, As for Matic Chelsea was his one and only destination. They had first refusal on the player and took up the option in January to sign him.

The worry is that for the last 2 year's we appear to have got our targets. We Research the players, they just haven't added value. Head in and if anyone thinks we've improved the squad since 11/12

jimmygrimblesboots said:
three years of bad transfer dealings , and in those three years we have won 2 premierships , a league cup and been to an fa cup final , cant wait until we get our act together .

Thats because the players we had 3 years ago Hart, Zab, Komps, Yaya , Silva , Nasri and Aguero have continued to carry the others.

Only Fernandinho who had a great first season made our first team stronger.

If you sign FIRST TEAM PLAYERS then the ones already playing become your second string therefore the squad naturally gets stronger. You don;t spend 50 mill on average players to make your squad questionably stronger. Players like Aguero and Yaya must look at these signing aftre being told by everyone we were going to challenge the elite. We are still miles away from this. Looks like Yaya wants a last pay day - hope Aguero doesn't get itchy feet or we will need to spend 100mill to stay where we are.

citytill1die84 said:
FFP that's all.
Another total cop out excuse.

We've spent HUGE amounts of money since 2011. Something like £250m! FFPR? Hahaha, what a joke!

García and Fernando alone were £28m. £28m to replace de Jong, utterly wasted on total averageness.

Sinclair Rodwell Sagna García Maicon Caballero Navas Fernando Mangala etc...£250m well spent? You're having s fucking laugh!

Not a single player anywhere near the level of Yaya Silva or Kun in three and a half years for £250m. That is fucking bobbins recruitment!

I would expect people to be having cold sweat filled sleepless nights from our recruitment team with this situation we've had.

onceabluealways said:
jimmygrimblesboots said:
three years of bad transfer dealings , and in those three years we have won 2 premierships , a league cup and been to an fa cup final , cant wait until we get our act together .

Thats because the players we had 3 years ago Hart, Zab, Komps, Yaya , Silva , Nasri and Aguero have continued to carry the others.

If you sign FIRST TEAM PLAYERS then the ones already playing become your second string therefore the squad naturally gets stronger. You don;t spend 50 mill on average players to make your squad questionably stronger. Players like Aguero and Yaya must look at these signing aftre being told by everyone we were going to challenge the elite. We are still miles away from this. Looks like Yaya wants a last pay day - hope Aguero doesn't get itchy feet or we will need to spend 100mill to stay where we are.

Spot on.

United are the best recent example of this because they never replaced Ronaldo.
In the short term they carried on winning, but you could see them ageing. That's why they went from winning the league by 15 points to 7th.

I'm not saying that this would happen with City, but you have to let the team evolve rather than wait for Silva, Nasri and Aguero to all grow old together.

Scaring Europe to Death said:
onceabluealways said:
jimmygrimblesboots said:

Spot on.

United are the best recent example of this because they never replaced Ronaldo.
In the short term they carried on winning, but you could see them ageing. That's why they went from winning the league by 15 points to 7th.

I'm not saying that this would happen with City, but you have to let the team evolve rather than wait for Silva, Nasri and Aguero to all grow old together.
United are another prime example of what we're doing and we should definitely take note.

Smalling Jones and Rafael were signed as Ferdinand Vidic and Neville aged. Anderson signed for nearly £30m as Scholes aged...then they were left in the shit when those players got too old.

We've spent an astonishing amount of money in the same way. Nobody has been signed at the standard of Yaya Silva and Kun in seven transfer windows. I think this is a huge concern since we're supposedly trying to reach the levels that Madrid Barça and Bayern are getting to.

It's a fair point really. Since Aguero in 2011, have we made a signing who has been an undisputed success? Demichelis, for £4m, is probably the closest, which is pretty damning. Negredo was, initially, but he's gone now. Speaks volumes for our recruitment policy.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.