Time to put sentiment aside, back-line needs an overhaul.

BillyShears said:
GaudinoMotors said:
BillyShears said:
No. It's folly to judge Pellegrini the same as Mancini was judged last season because Mancini at that point had been in charge three and a half years and had a team in which he had chosen and signed the overwhelmingly vast majority of them. Pellegrini has signed five players and had a few months in charge.

I agree with Nip's OP to some extent. I actually said when the season started that I felt we needed arguably four new full backs, and certainly one more top drawer centre half. I still believe that.

It was obvious a new ch was required and defensive cover improving - why didn't Ferran, Txiki or Pelle think that?

Mangala and Pepe didn't happen even though they tried, and Marquinhos they obviously didn't rate at the prices which PSG were prepared to pay. Think it's a bit unfair to say they didn't try. I do agree though that in hindsight it should've been a priority from the start of the summer. But then hindsight has the advantage of knowing that Vinny was going to be struck with by injury for long periods.

Vinny gets a suspension or injury most seasons so you don't need to be clairvoyant.
A really poor judgment call. Yes they tried but you don't win leagues and cups for trying to get cover.

What's the point in having the best defenders in the world if we don't have the correct tools to organise and coach them ? Oh and we had a great defence, a solid, almost impenetrable defence for three seasons, they suddenly turn to turd overnight, strange how that's happened

prestonibbo_mcfc said:
Stoned Rose said:
NipHolmes said:
Only two seasons ago we won the league with a back-line of Clichy, Lescott, Kompany and Richards.

Now Lescott and Richards do not justify their wages and Clichy is in worrying form. I personally believe we definitely need to part with our two English players but Clichy is nearing the chopping block. I know Lescott and Richards are big charcacters in the dressing room but both are weaknesses that teams exploit now, be it poor passing under pressure or being half way up the pitch watching your team-mates struggle to defend the space that's exposed. I couldn't care a toss what the papers write about us selling English players, if they are good enough then this wouldn't be an issue but right now. It is a testament to Mancini that he managed to make us solid but now with a more attacking philosophy we are being exposed time and again by players that should not be scoring against us. We have made Frazier Campbell look like Falcao and we have made Bardsley look like Jordi Alba when in reality both are bang average players.

Looking back you can see why Mancini wanted Thiago Silva, we should have paid whatever it took back then. A Kompany and Silva pairing is pretty much the very best combination in world football.

New GK, two CB's and LB needed imo. I think Jan and the summer should be used to sort these areas. Garcia has to go too but we knew that already. Our squad is a good one but the summer of 2012 is haunting us 12 months on and we do need a shake-up, and that starts at the back.

These players were good enough to play in a defence which won the league and conceded very few goals in the process just 19 months ago .

They haven't suddenly become poor players .

It's their attitudes which have become poor.

The same goes for other members of the squad.

To go from scoring 14 goals in a week and playing exceedingly well to serving up that shit yesterday cannot be down to ability. It just can't.

Yesterday and the cup final are more than enough evidence in my eyes that sometimes they just can't be fucked.

I disagree with you, Lescott, for me, has become a poorer player. He has never been great on the ball, but was always solid in defence.
He now is a lot lot slower and is that terrified of the football. I'm sure he's crying when it comes near him.

What evidence are you basing that on?

Lescott has hardly played this season and was clearly 2nd fiddle to nastasic last season.

bobmcfc said:
What's the point in having the best defenders in the world if we don't have the correct tools to organise and coach them ? Oh and we had a great defence, a solid, almost impenetrable defence for three seasons, they suddenly turn to turd overnight, strange how that's happened

Who are these best defenders in the world we have. Vinny I'll give you ... but beyond that?

Yes we had one of the best defensive coaches in the world for the last few seasons and our defence was excellent in that time there's absolutely no disputing that. But he's gone and isn't coming back because the owners wanted a different kind of coach. Someone more progressive. You should write to them and tell them how unhappy you are at their decision. Then maybe you'll find it easier to be a bit more objective about the current gaffer.

BillyShears said:
bobmcfc said:

Who are these best defenders in the world we have. Vinny I'll give you ... but beyond that?

Yes we had one of the best defensive coaches in the world for the last few seasons and our defence was excellent in that time there's absolutely no disputing that. But he's gone and isn't coming back because the owners wanted a different kind of coach. Someone more progressive. You should write to them and tell them how unhappy you are at their decision. Then maybe you'll find it easier to be a bit more objective about the current gaffer.

I meant buying the best defenders in the world with this overhaul that's needed according to the OP . I didn't mean we had the best defenders already

Other than that what is your point ?

bobmcfc said:
I meant buying the best defenders in the world with this overhaul that's needed according to the OP . I didn't mean we had the best defenders already

Ah right, so your post was just another unnecessary and snide dig at the current manager. No worries ... and don't worry, I won't be telling you to "fuck off and support Chelsea". I believe everyone's entitled to their opinion on Bluemoon, even if it is one I find stupid ... ;)

BillyShears said:
bobmcfc said:

Ah right, so your post was just another unnecessary and snide dig at the current manager. No worries ... and don't worry, I won't be telling you to "fuck off and support Chelsea". I believe everyone's entitled to their opinion on Bluemoon, even if it is one I find stupid ... ;)

When have I ever told you to F off and support Chelsea ?

My point is it's totally ridiculous to spend millions on defenders when all that's needed is the right defensive coaches to utilise the perfectly decent defenders we already have . We have been stunning for three years in that department so why not fix the real issue instead of just papering over it

You are a proper drama queen sometimes

,City had a great defensive record under Mancini ,he had the capability to see the "big picture " and fit all the players into a system that could defend as well as attack, it is also important to sit back and absorb pressure from a fitness viewpoint in terms of injuries
,all Pel seems to know is how to batter teams and humiliate them ,he cant squeeze results in tight games,
its nothing to do with individuals in the back line if you are looking for scapegoats you should start at demichellis

bobmcfc said:
BillyShears said:
bobmcfc said:

When have I ever told you to F off and support Chelsea ?

My point is it's totally ridiculous to spend millions on defenders when all that's needed is the right defensive coaches to utilise the perfectly decent defenders we already have . We have been stunning for three years in that department so why not fix the real issue instead of just papering over it

You are a proper drama queen sometimes

Says one of the biggest drama queens the last 24 hours has seen! Haha, it's alright Bob, I like you and I forgive you whatever blinkers you currently have on.

So we're clear as well, you've never told me to fuck off and support Chelsea. But many others did last season for wanting the manager sacked. The same people who are now wanting the current manager sacked after he's been in charge five minutes.

Anyway give me a shout when you're done drama queening and want a proper chat about the current state of affairs at the club. :)

The key change that Pellegrini is trying to adopt is getting us higher up the pitch and on the front foot.

Under Mancini, we had the best defence 3 years running. But that was achieved by a deeper position of the team on the pitch.

Thus far, we have not got the results away from home. However, the performances in 4 of the 6 games have been good. West Ham, Chelsea very good, Villa + Cardiff - good enough. We have also had 2 poor performances including yesterday.

We tend to judge results first and assume everything from that. Just because we haven't got the results so far, does not mean that you have to change the philosophy that you have.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.