To all the Blues no longer with us

I am an elderly new member but also a life long Man.City supporter of 70 years for reasons which will become clear below. I am trying to complete a family tree and I am having trouble starting this and I need to seek out Walter Griffiths.
Walter Griffiths, Man. City Club secretary in the 1950's and 1960's was my Uncle. (My Dad's Brother). My Dad died when he was young with cancer.
Due to family reasons, (Geographically and personal) contact was lost with Walter and family in the very early 1960's.
1. Can anyone tell me when Walter died and if so I presume it was in the Manchester area. I do know Walter went to Oldham Athletic after Man. City as their club secretary. Confirmation please?
2. David Griffiths, his Son. Is he still alive?
3. Any further relevant information welcomed. Please ask your Dad or probably your Man. City Grandad supporter if they have any thoughts on this request.
Many Thanks... if you can help me.... Moonraker.

Last edited:
On the night itself, I spent the couple of hours after the game responding to loads of goodwill messages from mates (both City and non-City). I'd been drinking since lunchtime and just felt knackered, but relieved we'd finally done it.

When I woke up in the morning, sat on the side of the bed and, in semi-darkness with the curtains still drawn, I just burst into floods of tears. My wife was really quite perturbed and asked what was wrong, and all I could say between the sobs was, "Dad!"

I didn't cry like that when he died. I suppose then I had mixed feelings because in many ways logic told me it was a blessing that his suffering was at an end. I did end up with tears rolling down my cheeks when we won by the only goal at Chelsea through Gabriel Jesus 2 or 3 months after he died, somewhat to the bemusement of onlookers in the bar I was in - as the final whistle went, I immediately thought that I couldn't wait to get home to ring him and discuss the game, only to then sharply remember I couldn't. But I felt the loss even more keenly after this game.

Mentions also to both grandfathers, each of whom had watched City at Hyde Road, and also Dad's brother Uncle Ted. They were always happy to talk City to me as a kid and reinforce my interest. And especially to Uncle Frank, my Mum's brother, who died in 1983 having not even reached his 50th and is still missed.

I felt particularly close to him, and he often took me to Maine Road on Saturdays when my Dad was working. Maybe my passion for the club wouldn't have grown as it did had he not ensured in those early days that I could go to matches on more than an occasional basis.

We had my dad’s funeral on Tuesday. He was only 76 but had suffered with Alzheimer’s since his late 60s. He’d have loved all this although he hadn’t had much of a clue for the past couple of years.

A proud son of Wythenshawe, he’d joined the RAF just before I was born. This meant that I was usually the only City kid in wherever we were living, so I took a world of shit at school. I wouldn’t have had it any other way.

Saturday was emotional.

Andy Hinch - typical of him to die 6 minths before that! miss you pal. was thinking of you at the whistle.
I was crying at the whistle and for about ten minutes afterwards and about half an hour later, having calmed a little, Andy Hinch suddenly came into my head and I cried again as I imagined him in the stand with no name with so many others.
Commiserations @Worsley Web.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.