To lighten the mood we can still at least achieve 2nd

trouble is we will have to rely on bayern as group winners, we will want them to do napoli twice futher to that second place could get clinched with the result in napoli if were level on points with them we would have to better than the draw at the etihad eg 2-2

Andouble said:
as long as we have De Jong we will beat a team like Napoli who rely on the counter attack, even if they are home.

Bayern I am fairly certain we will beat especially if they are already through.

I think Bayern will bring a team to confound us and deny us the three points. PanzerKommandant Karl-Heinz would love for us to tumble out of the CL.

Hi guys, Bayern fan here (don't worry, I'm not here to gloat, Man City is one of my favourite non-Bayern teams). To be honest, I'm pretty confident that you guys should be able to secure 2nd place. I think the main thing that your team lacked in the first two games was fluency and confidence; play seemed a bit disjointed and obviously, being that this is the first time you guys have played in the UCL, it was a bit of unfamiliar territory. That will soon change, though. The more games you play, the better you will get, especially considering the individual quality and experience of your squad (many of your players have already competed in the UCL in other teams). Given that your next two games are against Villareal, who are, quite frankly, the weakest side in the group, I'm quite certain you guys should be able to take away 6 points from the two ties. If indeed you win those two games, I think you should be able to sink Napoli (given the confidence that two wins will give you, as well as the experience). As for the second Bayern game, I think it will be extremely close (obviously, I want to see Bayern win, but, being realistic, I think it will be a hard task for us).

In terms of tactics, in the Villareal vs Bayern game, Villareal really showed quite lacklustre defending and heavy dependence on individuals (be warned, Giuseppe Rossi is quite a threat, if he's in good form). What ended up happening is we played quite a conservative game, but still ended up with quite a number of chances on goal. Villareal really lack fluidity in their gameplay and their tactics seem rather haphazard at times. Their weaknesses are really something which City, of all teams, will be able to exploit, in the same way that we did. Truth be told, the 2-0 scoreline (for the Bayern-Villareal game) is a bit misleading, as it could have been much larger in our favour. Given your wealth of attacking talent, I think you should have no trouble racking up a similar scoreline (or possibly even better).

I predict and would like to see the group end with Bayern in 1st place, City in 2nd and Napoli in 3rd. I think Napoli were lucky in their game against you guys and sooner or later, their luck will run out, especially given that we (Bayern) will be taking them on in a double tie, on the back of a strong start of season. Many Bayern fans, myself included, are expecting a win in both Napoli ties, so if we do indeed win both, this should knock the wind out of their sails, I feel.

You guys have a fantastic side, with better quality than Napoli, so I think that you certainly can come out of the group stages with a positive result.

Good luck with your remaining group games! Except for the Bayern one, of course ;)

still 12 points to play for which would be more than enough.
we have the players to achieve this.
and we can't underestimate what a difficult game last night was.
we are not top dogs yet.
but we can do it<br /><br />-- Wed Sep 28, 2011 9:37 am --<br /><br />
marco said:
trouble is we will have to rely on bayern as group winners, we will want them to do napoli twice futher to that second place could get clinched with the result in napoli if were level on points with them we would have to better than the draw at the etihad eg 2-2

no we don't, we win all our remaining games we qualify, 13 points is more than enough

If you lot don't get 6 points against Villareal, you lot are gone sadly.

Also you have to hope Bayern beat Napoli home and away which will leave them with 4 points, and you on 7 points.

johnny crossan said:
has anyone mentioned that Gomez was a mile offside for their second and that we should have had two nailed on penalties and that we played them off the pitch til Yaya got into a daydream

Gomez wasn't offside. Two players were stood offside (inc. Gomez) before the free kick was taken then as the player runs up to take the free kick Kolo Toure goes back towards goal playing them both onside.

I'd like to see the incident that led up to this free kick again though, the commentator said he 'tripped over his own shoelaces' before Dzeko landed on him.

If Bayern beat Napoli home and away then it is all wide open again. I really do have a sneaky feeling that losing 2-0 and not 3 or 4 might have a huge part to play in this group

Denis Law Back Heel said:
With us having our double game against Villarreal (In many peoples opinion the the weakest team in our group) so i fully expect 6 points home and away and with Napoli's double game being Bayen I can see 6 points for Bayen so that will put us on 7 points and Napoli on 4 but with us playing Napoli's away could prove to be huge unless we get something out of the Bayen home game witch i think is more than possible, so in my opinion and looking at that there is still alot to play for.

but this is football anything can happen

this eeza football!

Personally I dont think we will qualify, but I didnt think we would when the group was announced. I hope we do dont get me wrong, but im delighted we will have welcomed Napoli, Bayern and Villareal to the Etihad stadium in our 1st season regardless of what happens.

I think this season is a learning curve for us and will make us stronger next year when hopefully we'll get a bit more luck in the draw!

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.