Today's Morrissey Evening News.......

hisroyalblueness said:
I'm amazed at the uneducated jingoistic ranting on this thread and I advise a bit of reading and a bit of reflection on the subject before unfounded opinions are embarrassingly posted.
The Falklands (as we call them) are 6000 miles away from the UK - they are not the Isle of Wight and have no history of British use until colonised by British military intervention (ergo stolen from the original inhabitants).
The Argentinian's have a valid claim on the islands and the only reason we keep them is to lay claim to mineral and fishing rights on the other side of the planet.
It's the British stealing from poorer nations by the use of guns and bombs as we have done for centuries - it's an appalling history that has brought no benefit to the working classes and especially not to the cannon fodder who join our armed forces with a misplaced passion to become 'heroes'.
Even at the height of the British empire we had young children working down mines and the old dying in poverty - the only benefit was, as ever, to the rich and the only benefit from our keeping the Falklands will be to the rich.
The last little campaign cost the British tax payer millions, cost both British and Argentinian families the lives of many fathers and sons and who benefited? Well Margaret Thatcher and her millionaire mates did and we . . well we just paid for it and / or died and / or lost loved ones.
And dickheads who didn't lose family or friends in the last fauklands fiasco come on here giving large from the safety of their bedrooms, not knowing the facts and never having knowingly suffered from it . . it's very sad indeed.

I'm no fan of Morrissey's but he's right.
No he isn't. And the Falklands were in British hands before Argentina was even founded.

Out of interest, you do know Argentina was founded when a rich nation went across and killed all of the indiginous inhabitants don't you. Also, the Falklands didn't have any history of indiginous peoples so your point about "original inhabitants" is wholely wrong.<br /><br />-- Thu Mar 08, 2012 10:26 am --<br /><br />
BillyShears said:
I have so many Morrissey stories .... not one of them paint him in a particularly good light.
Don't ruin a promising post by not telling a couple....

SWP's back said:
hisroyalblueness said:
I'm amazed at the uneducated jingoistic ranting on this thread and I advise a bit of reading and a bit of reflection on the subject before unfounded opinions are embarrassingly posted.
The Falklands (as we call them) are 6000 miles away from the UK - they are not the Isle of Wight and have no history of British use until colonised by British military intervention (ergo stolen from the original inhabitants).
The Argentinian's have a valid claim on the islands and the only reason we keep them is to lay claim to mineral and fishing rights on the other side of the planet.
It's the British stealing from poorer nations by the use of guns and bombs as we have done for centuries - it's an appalling history that has brought no benefit to the working classes and especially not to the cannon fodder who join our armed forces with a misplaced passion to become 'heroes'.
Even at the height of the British empire we had young children working down mines and the old dying in poverty - the only benefit was, as ever, to the rich and the only benefit from our keeping the Falklands will be to the rich.
The last little campaign cost the British tax payer millions, cost both British and Argentinian families the lives of many fathers and sons and who benefited? Well Margaret Thatcher and her millionaire mates did and we . . well we just paid for it and / or died and / or lost loved ones.
And dickheads who didn't lose family or friends in the last fauklands fiasco come on here giving large from the safety of their bedrooms, not knowing the facts and never having knowingly suffered from it . . it's very sad indeed.

No he isn't. And the Falklands were in British hands before Argentina was even founded.

Out of interest, you do know Argentina was founded when a rich nation went across and killed all of the indiginous inhabitants don't you. Also, the Falklands didn't have any history of indiginous peoples so your point about "original inhabitants" is wholely wrong.

-- Thu Mar 08, 2012 10:26 am --

BillyShears said:
I have so many Morrissey stories .... not one of them paint him in a particularly good light.

Its Bluemoon mate, everyone likes to make up there own history and sell it off as fact on here

SWP's back said:

I was in London with an ex of mine about 10 years ago. She was/is good friends with Boz. Anyway, at the time Moz was rehearsing, so we arranged to go meet Boz for a drink afterwards. Him and the rest of the band turned up sans the man himself. My ex asked where he was, Boz replied "probably in the pub we told him we were going to".

hisroyalblueness said:
I advise a bit of reading and a bit of reflection on the subject before unfounded opinions are embarrassingly posted..

Your grasp of the history of the islands is embarrassingly shaky itself I'm afraid. An unfounded opinion, embarrassingly posted is exactly what you've done.

hisroyalblueness said:
The Argentinian's have a valid claim on the islands .

Based on what exactly? Can you explain what it's based on, because a vague geographical juxtaposition isn't how the world works, otherwise France could conceivably own the UK seeing as we're just a few miles off their coastline.

hisroyalblueness said:
and the only reason we keep them is to lay claim to mineral and fishing rights on the other side of the planet.

When did the mineral rights issue rear its head? And how long have fishing vessels been buying licences around the islands? It's long, long after the islands were settled, I'll tell you that much.
The fishing rights aren't hugely lucrative... to a small group of islands they're not a bad income, but to the UK or Argentina they're very small beer, not noticeable in the billion pound budgets and defecits we're talking. When I last spoke with the head of FI Customs, figures of hundreds of thousands of pounds were talked about in terms of fishing licence income.
Granted, the oil exploration makes the whole place a lot more attractive to any potential suitor, but we owned the islands long before oil was discovered. It's no coincedence that Argentina's interest has been magically renewed since then. Surprising eh? Colonialism? Depends on where you view it from.
Of course the FI has been British prior to all this oil exploration business precisely because of the fact that nearly 3000 people live there and value their continuing right to self determination.

hisroyalblueness said:

No. No he's not.

Five members of his band then posed on stage wearing T-shirts showing William and Kate on their wedding day with the words: "We hate William and Kate."

Not your quote I know, but what a bunch of low, low shithouses. That's the trick of a university protest band of immature 18 year olds, not supposedly mature, thinking men. I expect this of idiots like John Lydon who have never grown up, but this lot?

BillyShears said:
SWP's back said:

I was in London with an ex of mine about 10 years ago. She was/is good friends with Boz. Anyway, at the time Moz was rehearsing, so we arranged to go meet Boz for a drink afterwards. Him and the rest of the band turned up sans the man himself. My ex asked where he was, Boz replied "probably in the pub we told him we were going to".

Being a huge fan of his as a youngster, got to meet him backstage at rehersals through a lad i worked with at the time who was married to Mozzer's cousin, underwhelmed is a word that does not do it justice.

Bigg Bigg Blue said:
The Smiths always have been and always will be shit.
End of.
End of? Why because you can't expand on that with any reasoned argument? Personally I think that they are one of the biggest influences on modern music. Feel free to discuss ...

The Colonel said:
Bigg Bigg Blue said:
The Smiths always have been and always will be shit.
End of.
End of? Why because you can't expand on that with any reasoned argument? Personally I think that they are one of the biggest influences on modern music. Feel free to discuss ...

Ok - i'll roll with this.
I loved the Smiths, saw them 20-plus times,and still play their tunes.
In my opinion,they were indeed massively influential.
I have seen Morrissey live five times,and he has become more predictable and less interesting.
I shall not be seeing him again.
He has become a parody of himself and should call it a day,as he has nothing new to say nowadays,and his sad courting of the media through controversy just smacks of an increasingly desperate man who still thinks he matters.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.