Today's Morrissey Evening News.......

Lancet Fluke said:
TheMightyQuinn said:
Mad Eyed Screamer said:
Exactly...... he knows precisely what he is saying and who is listening and that it will get back and be reported...... (cue ''Miserable'' comments etc in the media)

It's free publicity of the best kind. He skips the NME (readership of about 34 these days) and goes straight to the tabloids, the blogs, the forums etc where his older fans are more likely to see him and remember to buy that remastered copy of Viva Hate or that new Smiths boxset (which is orgasmically beautiful).

He's been doing it since 1984, he truly is the last of the international playboys :)

He could always come up with some decent new songs then he wouldn't have to rely on sales of Smiths' stuff or Viva Hate. To me Morrissey has become the opposite of most things he used to represent. Only a reunion with Marr, to write new material can save him now otherwise it is going to be endless drivel when it comes to new material and endless pub band style renditions of Smiths' songs at his gigs.

I agree that he's not exactly at his peak right now but I'd hate The Smiths to reform and hope they never do. Some things should remain sacred and it'd be a shame to see The Smiths sully their legacy.

Him talking shit has got us all speaking, that's all he wants and it's worth more than radio play and music press coverage at the end of the day.

TheMightyQuinn said:
Lancet Fluke said:
TheMightyQuinn said:
It's free publicity of the best kind. He skips the NME (readership of about 34 these days) and goes straight to the tabloids, the blogs, the forums etc where his older fans are more likely to see him and remember to buy that remastered copy of Viva Hate or that new Smiths boxset (which is orgasmically beautiful).

He's been doing it since 1984, he truly is the last of the international playboys :)

He could always come up with some decent new songs then he wouldn't have to rely on sales of Smiths' stuff or Viva Hate. To me Morrissey has become the opposite of most things he used to represent. Only a reunion with Marr, to write new material can save him now otherwise it is going to be endless drivel when it comes to new material and endless pub band style renditions of Smiths' songs at his gigs.

I agree that he's not exactly at his peak right now but I'd hate The Smiths to reform and hope they never do. Some things should remain sacred and it'd be a shame to see The Smiths sully their legacy.

Him talking shit has got us all speaking, that's all he wants and it's worth more than radio play and music press coverage at the end of the day.

I'm not talking about The Smiths reforming, that will never happen, clearly. I'm talking about Morrissey collaborating with Marr on some new material, I think that would be fantastic. I actually believe that the legacy of The Smiths has been sullied already to some extent by Morrissey, not just by his embarrassing renditions of Smiths' songs at his gigs but the fact that when many people think of The Smiths, they think of Morrissey and these days when people think of Morrissey they think of an embarrassing old fart who talks constant bollocks and releases mostly awful music. The whole thing makes me sad really but then the fact that I have spent 25 years waiting for Morrissey and Marr to get back together makes me a sad individual anyway, I imagine.

Lancet Fluke said:
TheMightyQuinn said:
Lancet Fluke said:

I'm not talking about The Smiths reforming, that will never happen, clearly. I'm talking about Morrissey collaborating with Marr on some new material, I think that would be fantastic. I actually believe that the legacy of The Smiths has been sullied already to some extent by Morrissey, not just by his embarrassing renditions of Smiths' songs at his gigs but the fact that when many people think of The Smiths, they think of Morrissey and these days when people think of Morrissey they think of an embarrassing old fart who talks constant bollocks and releases mostly awful music. The whole thing makes me sad really but then the fact that I have spent 25 years waiting for Morrissey and Marr to get back together makes me a sad individual anyway, I imagine.

Yeah, Moz and Marr writing together again could be amazing but I doubt it'll ever happen. There is always a slight chance though as both are still making music.

I tend to see The Smiths as a single entity that exists outside of Morrissey, if that makes sense. In much the same way I love The Beatles but think McCartney is a bit of a tit.

hisroyalblueness said:
I'm amazed at the uneducated jingoistic ranting on this thread and I advise a bit of reading and a bit of reflection on the subject before unfounded opinions are embarrassingly posted.
The Falklands (as we call them) are 6000 miles away from the UK - they are not the Isle of Wight and have no history of British use until colonised by British military intervention (ergo stolen from the original inhabitants).
The Argentinian's have a valid claim on the islands and the only reason we keep them is to lay claim to mineral and fishing rights on the other side of the planet.
It's the British stealing from poorer nations by the use of guns and bombs as we have done for centuries - it's an appalling history that has brought no benefit to the working classes and especially not to the cannon fodder who join our armed forces with a misplaced passion to become 'heroes'.
Even at the height of the British empire we had young children working down mines and the old dying in poverty - the only benefit was, as ever, to the rich and the only benefit from our keeping the Falklands will be to the rich.
The last little campaign cost the British tax payer millions, cost both British and Argentinian families the lives of many fathers and sons and who benefited? Well Margaret Thatcher and her millionaire mates did and we . . well we just paid for it and / or died and / or lost loved ones.
And dickheads who didn't lose family or friends in the last fauklands fiasco come on here giving large from the safety of their bedrooms, not knowing the facts and never having knowingly suffered from it . . it's very sad indeed.

I'm no fan of Morrissey's but he's right.
To be perfectly honest, that has never stopped anyone from posting on BM!

TheMightyQuinn said:
Lancet Fluke said:
TheMightyQuinn said:

Yeah, Moz and Marr writing together again could be amazing but I doubt it'll ever happen. There is always a slight chance though as both are still making music.

I tend to see The Smiths as a single entity that exists outside of Morrissey, if that makes sense. In much the same way I love The Beatles but think McCartney is a bit of a tit.

It is the same for me personally, The Smiths were incredible and nothing could spoil that, but sadly I'm not sure that the general view would be the same. I'm not sure how much that matters really though.

Lancet Fluke said:
TheMightyQuinn said:
Lancet Fluke said:

It is the same for me personally, The Smiths were incredible and nothing could spoil that, but sadly I'm not sure that the general view would be the same. I'm not sure how much that matters really though.

Their loss really :)

We know where it's at!

So in case I've missed it, has HisRoyalBlueness been back on yet to explain who the original inhabitants of the islands were and has he outlined why Argentina have a claim on the islands yet? Any more embarrassing clangers?

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.