Todays other games

SebastianBlue said:
Mattyc55 said:
SebastianBlue said:
You are not arguing against my point, though. I said they would be an average side (ie, top ten, maybe top six if they overacheived). Take Van Persie out of the squad and how many points would they have this season? Take Rooney out last year and how close would they have been to us? I am an economist so I know those questions are very simplistic and don't factor all sorts of variable dependent and independent on their inclusion/exclusive but my overall pint is the probability of their success goes down significantly based on their current level of influence. You cannot make the same argument of the exclusion of De Gea, Giggs, Evra, Vidic, Hernandez, or perhaps even Rooney (this season). That is the definition of a squad carried primarily by one player. I never said Ferguson didn't know what he was doing; in fact he very much does. That is the unfortunate situation we have to deal with: a manager that can win things with an ok squad and a marquee player.

If Van Persie wasn't playing then Rooney would be up-top scoring goals. Its a feeble argument, 'take Van Persie's goals out and look at their points total'.. You could do the exact same thing with Messi and Ronaldo, or Falcao/Cavani/Suarez or any other in form striker.

I really disagree with your and Greased's belief that Barça and Madrid would be poor if you took Messi or Ronaldo out. My argument is not bad because you can find another situation that would not be correct if you applied it there (your response is fallacious and/or a poor debating tactic).

But I think it is time to move on. I didn't mean to start a heated debate, and although I really disagree, I think the conversation has played out to the point that neither of us will convince the other of our argument.

No I think you misunderstood, were not saying that Barca and Real would be poor, were simply applying your theory to other sides. If Van Persie had broken his leg in pre-season and missed the whole of 12/13, theres no way in HELL United would finish 6th (which is basically what you said).. United haven't finished outside the top 4 in forever, as someone else comes in and does the business. But yes, no point discussing it.

After the first went in Utd are clever they conserve their energy and let Everton have possession knowing they have to attack that they can counter at speed, this is the difference between us and them, we can sit back bu we do not counter quickly Hart has no outlet to give too and the play is slowed down allowing out opposition to get back behind the ball.

Stoned Rose said:
Just watching Utd game which is not something I often do. Maybe 5 or 6 times a season.

It's interesting in that they do 4 things we dont-

1. They dont try to 'control' the game. They are happy to let Everton have the ball and come at them. Everton have had a lot of ball but nothing to show for it.

2, Whenever in possession everything they do is forward thinking and done with speed. You can see the thought process and instinct is 'go'. Ours isnt.

3. They use a variety of attacking methods and positions. We are much more one dimensional and readable.

4. They are ruthless when given a chance to score. We aren't.

From what I can see they make it simple. We don't.

This isn't just down to one player (RVP) they have a better system than us and they execute theirs better than we do.

Its a very effective way to play football. Might as well let the other team press forward and give you all the space to play into. I remember Chelsea under Mourinho were similar, and always beat Arsenal even though Arsenal at that time were probably a superior footballing team.

GHoddle said:
Stoned Rose said:
Just watching Utd game which is not something I often do. Maybe 5 or 6 times a season.

It's interesting in that they do 4 things we dont-

1. They dont try to 'control' the game. They are happy to let Everton have the ball and come at them. Everton have had a lot of ball but nothing to show for it.

2, Whenever in possession everything they do is forward thinking and done with speed. You can see the thought process and instinct is 'go'. Ours isnt.

3. They use a variety of attacking methods and positions. We are much more one dimensional and readable.

4. They are ruthless when given a chance to score. We aren't.

From what I can see they make it simple. We don't.

This isn't just down to one player (RVP) they have a better system than us and they execute theirs better than we do.

Its a very effective way to play football. Might as well let the other team press forward and give you all the space to play into. I remember Chelsea under Mourinho were similar, and always beat Arsenal even though Arsenal at that time were probably a superior footballing team.

I remember yeah. This is the way to play in the prem. Cuty play a 'Serie A' system.

Mattyc55 said:
SebastianBlue said:
Mattyc55 said:
If Van Persie wasn't playing then Rooney would be up-top scoring goals. Its a feeble argument, 'take Van Persie's goals out and look at their points total'.. You could do the exact same thing with Messi and Ronaldo, or Falcao/Cavani/Suarez or any other in form striker.

I really disagree with your and Greased's belief that Barça and Madrid would be poor if you took Messi or Ronaldo out. My argument is not bad because you can find another situation that would not be correct if you applied it there (your response is fallacious and/or a poor debating tactic).

But I think it is time to move on. I didn't mean to start a heated debate, and although I really disagree, I think the conversation has played out to the point that neither of us will convince the other of our argument.

No I think you misunderstood, were not saying that Barca and Real would be poor, were simply applying your theory to other sides. If Van Persie had broken his leg in pre-season and missed the whole of 12/13, theres no way in HELL United would finish 6th (which is basically what you said).. United haven't finished outside the top 4 in forever, as someone else comes in and does the business. But yes, no point discussing it.

I understand you were, I was just pointing out that is only effective if you have analogous situations. If they are disparate then it is a poor method of determining the validity of an assertion (ie "You say that wearing a large, down-filled coat in winter is a smart thing to do, but if I do it in summer it is an awful idea, so you are wrong"). We fundamentally disagree as to whether or not they are similar so we are at an impasse.

All that said, thanks for making it a civil debate, it's nice to be a part of one of those on here. ;-)

Not read back but I watched the 1st half at Old Trafford and it just summed up the whole season. Man Utd outplayed for long periods of the game, but thanks to RVP ended up 2-0 up

Utd are very vulnerable because they just don't dominate games the way traditional title winners do. But they are gone and are over the hill now

Just watched that 1st half shaking my head looking at EVerton let chances go knowing Utd would get 3 or 4 and score 2.

Credit to them for signing RVP. I wonder how long he can keep this up. This season the League is in their pocket

But just takes a tiny deterioration in his pace and those runs on the shoulder of the last man will end up with endless offsides as he goes too soon.

However will we be the beneficiaries of his inevitable decline from these peaks, and what's to stop them buying a replacement?

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.