Today's shooting in America thread

This is really not true at all.

AR-15 style weapons make these events much, much more deadly.

Firstly the damage done by a 5.56mm rifle round compared to a 9mm pistol round is incomparable. The energy transfer alone is 2-3x as much. You can look up videos or images of shooting into ballistic gel from a 9mm pistol vs an AR15 chambered in 5.56 or higher and it’s chalk and cheese.

Secondly penetration - rifle rounds are going to go through breezeblocks and thinner brick walls and classroom doors that pistol rounds will be stopped by.

And the biggest factor of all is the ammunition capacity - 30 round magazines at least vs 8-15 in a pistol and the nature of having a shoulder stock and more weight means you can shoot more rapidly and more accurately.

The Clinton era assault rifle ban conclusively reduced the number of school shootings but also the number and severity of casualties.

Obviously all guns can kill you, but restrictions on AR15 style rifles would reduce the casualties and fatalities so much.

Forgive me for thinking the stopping power of AR15 makes the slightest difference to the head of an innocent schoolchild in comparison to a pistol.

One murdered school kid is one too many.

You can offer the AR stat, but a reload of a pistol is momentary, as is the inference that a murderer needs a bigger gun for penetration, to remove obstacles in their path.

It's bollocks.

It's a fudge. Yesterday's shooter also had a pistol holstered, it wasn't for decoration.

Nuclear bombs also come in different payloads, but they all still kill everything in its direct path.

I agree these AR15s are abhorrent, but it's a distraction and argument helpful to those who only want guns full stop.

Last edited:
watching it on C4 news with tears rolling down my cheeks - I despair for Americans - they are taken hostage by big business and lobbyists selling them lethal weapons as they indulge in their Wild West/Dirty Harry fantasy.

This was the 130th mass shooting in America of 2023 - and we are still in March. Let that sink in.

Forgive me for thinking the stopping power of AR15 makes the slightest difference to the head of an innocent schoolchild in comparison to a pistol.

One murdered school kid is one too many.

You can offer the AR stat, but a reload of a pistol is momentary, as is the inference that a murderer needs a bigger gun for penetration, to remove obstacles in their path.

It's bollocks.

It's a fudge. Yesterday's shooter also had a pistol holstered, it wasn't for decoration.

Nuclear bombs also come in different payloads, but they all still kill everything in its direct path.

I agree these AR15s are abhorrent, but it's a distraction and argument helpful to those who only want guns full stop.

I want to start by saying I agree with everything you said more or less. One thing I will add about the AR-15 compared to a pistol is the effectiveness at longer range. When I was in Texas for work years back some coworkers took me out to the gun club. One of them had an AR-15 with a 1x holosight scope on it. We put the target to the furthest distance and when I had finished shooting the target had 2 clusters of hits on it. Every round was within a 2 inch radius in either the head or chest area of the target. I had never shot a rifle before.

I want to start by saying I agree with everything you said more or less. One thing I will add about the AR-15 compared to a pistol is the effectiveness at longer range. When I was in Texas for work years back some coworkers took me out to the gun club. One of them had an AR-15 with a 1x holosight scope on it. We put the target to the furthest distance and when I had finished shooting the target had 2 clusters of hits on it. Every round was within a 2 inch radius in either the head or chest area of the target. I had never shot a rifle before.
That's scary :-(

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.