Tommy Hutchison book

And proudly so......
15 years of living in the ghost town..... the scars still run deep.....
Went to the game midweek 1978 (aged 15) when we lost 4-2 with Wallace and Ferguson running riot in the 2nd half.
The shit I received at school the next day from pupils and even the teachers just made me dig the heels in deeper and stand proud as a Blue.
@s1ty m was at the same school..... them were horrible days....
Belligerent ghouls ran Coventry schools....
I lived in Coventry from 1978 to 1983. I quite liked the City before the rot set in when the motor industry started to collapse around 1982. It had obviously been coming for a year or two as any examination of the trends would have revealed.

I even got elected to the Coventry City Council in 1980 and served through to 1983 when my term expired. By then, my employment took me to Edinburgh. I went back to Coventry about twelve years later and was horrified to see how the City Centre had deteriorated following the end of the motor industry. I did have similar feelings when visiting Manchester in the late 1980s.

And proudly so......
15 years of living in the ghost town..... the scars still run deep.....
Went to the game midweek 1978 (aged 15) when we lost 4-2 with Wallace and Ferguson running riot in the 2nd half.
The shit I received at school the next day from pupils and even the teachers just made me dig the heels in deeper and stand proud as a Blue.
@s1ty m was at the same school..... them were horrible days....
Belligerent ghouls ran Coventry schools....
I was at the game you mention above. Man City played us off the pi tch in the first half and we were lucky to be only 2-1 down at half time. What a second half! We were fantastic. I have never seen a better perfomance as you had some team at that time. My favourite ever Cove try game. I asked Tommy about it but he couldn't remember it!

Have you considered that Jimmy Hill may have had a word with the police about requesting to the ref that the game is held back?
It's not like the West Midlands Police ever won any awards for being outstanding in holding up the laws of the land.....
I think you overestimate the importance and influence of Jimmy Hill. Why would the police listen to him with no valid reason. Also, would he really be so keen that our game started later? The only combination of results that would have made this a worthwhile thing to do was the one that happened. Some predictive skills to forsee this happening. I think you are delving into the realms of supposition and conspiracy theories rather than sticking to the facts.

I think you overestimate the importance and influence of Jimmy Hill. Why would the police listen to him with no valid reason. Also, would he really be so keen that our game started later? The only combination of results that would have made this a worthwhile thing to do was the one that happened. Some predictive skills to forsee this happening. I think you are delving into the realms of supposition and conspiracy theories rather than sticking to the facts.
Like I said.... the West Mids police force.... one of the most bent and corrupt going...

Correct me if I'm wrong but didn't cov pull a similar stunt when Strachan was manager? Needed a result at Spurs final game of the season...... coach got held up "in traffic" (who knew there would be heavy traffic in London eh?) and the game had a 15 minute delay...... and cov escaped again.... every other game had ended and cov keep playing knowing what they have to do...

I wish you success with the book by the way

Last edited:
Like I said.... the West Mids police force.... one of the most bent and corrupt going...

Correct me if I'm wrong but didn't cov pull a similar stunt when Strachan was manager? Needed a result at Spurs final game of the season...... coach got held up "in traffic" (who knew there would be heavy traffic in London eh?) and the game had a 15 minute delay...... and cov escaped again.... every other game had ended and cov keep playing knowing what they have to do...

I wish you success with the book by the way
Thanks for the good wishes.
You’re right, the game at Spurs did kick off 15 minutes late. Again, as far as I know, down to crowd congestion in north London. I would imagine that Coventry as the away team would not have been consulted. The late KO was off no use really as we knew we had to win to stay up. Any other result would have seen us relegated. Ironically, the two other teams that stood a chance of avoiding relegation that day were Middlesborough and Sunderland again!
We should really have gone down that year as Middlesborough were docked, I think, 3 points earlier in the season for not turning up to a fixture. Bryan Robson, in his wisdom, decided that they had so many injuries, they shouldn’t play a particular away game. Unfortunately for him and Middlesborough, this wasn’t approved by the league, hence their lost points. If they had played the game they wouldn’t have been relegated.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.