Tony Towers?

Greenjob said:
I remember him, he played about the same time as: Ray Ranson, Bobby MacDonald, Nicky Reid et al. Just into the John Bond era I believe which ironically was after Big Mal's last stint (RIP and God bless him). He had a tash reminiscent of Gerry Gow and Kenny Clements. He was a midfielder I think though he didn't play too many games that I saw back then, he was a squad player reall. Then again there wasn't after that FA Cup Final v Spuds :-(

Sorry to be pedantic but TT played in the early 70's about 10 years before this.

urmston said:
You'll be telling us you've never heard of Frank Carrodus or Derek Jeffries next.

Derek Jeffries - now he was a very good player!

I've got a book - The Manchester City Football Book No 2 from 1970, in it is a picture of "The Young Ones" - Joe Corrigan, Jimmy Mundy, Stan Bowles, Tony Towers, Willie Donachie, Derek Jeffries and Ian Bowyer with Harry Godwin

How's that for half a team!

We've always had a great academy!

I remember him, half decent player. I was brought up in New Moston and was told he used to live there. On the corner of Broadway and Heppleton Rd. i think. Just round the corner from Stan Bowles mum, Lettie
From what i can remember you're from New Moston Pidge so you should know where that is.

sw4blue said:
goosed said:
I remember he scored the winning goal against Academica in a Cup Winners Cup tie. Wasn't the match delayed when Academica turned out in a all black kit, that clashed with the refs, and didn't have a change kit with them. Can't remember if City loaned them a change or the refs changed.

Remember it well. Academica played in all black. City found white shirts for the ref and linesman.

The delay was caused by having to find someone to sew the referee's and linesmen's badges on the shirts!

Thanks, rings the right bells for me. After Buzzer broke his leg in the League Cup Final, I think Tony played in almost every game for the rest of the season.

Just looked on wikipedia, three England caps after his move to Sunderland. Don't remember that.

blueyorkie said:
Greenjob said:
I remember him, he played about the same time as: Ray Ranson, Bobby MacDonald, Nicky Reid et al. Just into the John Bond era I believe which ironically was after Big Mal's last stint (RIP and God bless him). He had a tash reminiscent of Gerry Gow and Kenny Clements. He was a midfielder I think though he didn't play too many games that I saw back then, he was a squad player reall. Then again there wasn't after that FA Cup Final v Spuds :-(

Sorry to be pedantic but TT played in the early 70's about 10 years before this.

Tony Henry, maybe?

yep. but only because the lad i played with it was his cusion,
only played a hand full of games i think

im life long city fan from essex, got a call today from bloke in east london to give him a price for a new roof, anyway got talking about football when he said whos your team i said man city, he then said who was captain in the 1955-56 finals, i said roy paul! he then told me that roy was his uncle! next minute im holding roy paul's wales shirt number 4 on the back and 'wales v scotland 1951' stitched on the front, so chuffed! had some photos taken holding the shirt.

u2fme2 said:
yep. but only because the lad i played with it was his cusion,
only played a hand full of games i think

Tony Towers played 122 games and Tony Henry played 79 games

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.