Tourists

Also.

The difference being, the majority of our home support is, and will always remain local, regardless.

Across town it's different. It's not only the tourists from Europe and further afield, but the support from across the UK.

Anyone who travels away on a Saturday and goes down the A556/Mere Bypass will witness cars and coaches bumper to bumper going to Old Trafford.

That's not what I was getting at really Duc, of course we'll keep a Manchester hardcore, if they've stuck it out this long its unlikely they'll vanish now, but we've already increased our matchday fanbase from 30,000 to 44,000 in just 10 years, and most of that was on the back of the stadium, not the Sheik, I know we dipped again round the Pearce times, but given what we had to watch it was hardly surprising. If/when we expand further, then we will have those spaces to fill, and whilst its a nice notion that they will all be returning blues, they won't, they'll be like the 4 in front of yesterday, coming maybe 2 or 3 times a season, maybe for special occasions, or they'll be corporate and wealthy, both of which will push the club on financially far more than any returnees.

I hate this tourist crap. I've supported City since 1989 and come from Scotland. I normally make it down once or twice a season.

I've grew up taking my slaggings from Manyoo, Liverpool & Arseanal fans, I've shed a tear at relegations, Gillingham and of course cried my eyes out one day in May 2012, yet in many peoples' eyes I would be classed as a tourist!!

I wish tourists will fill seats left abandoned by our local season ticket holders every week, to be honest! The Family Stand again yesterday was missing what looked to be hundreds of people, as were other areas.

LoveCity said:
I wish tourists will fill seats left abandoned by our local season ticket holders every week, to be honest! The Family Stand again yesterday was missing what looked to be hundreds of people, as were other areas.

Agreed. I would just add that the number of empty seats were more than usual yesterday added up to thousands

The away end upper tier was full of City fans yesterday.(1000+)

Still doesn't explain the empty seats , especially in the 1st tier.

And TBH , the season ticket holders not turning up excuse is wearing a little thin now. I can accept it for certain kick off times, but not for a Saturday 3pm kick off.

Looking forward to the Spurs game , 3000 away fans, a full stadium, and a decent atmosphere.

mad4city said:
It's not really the fact that they're tourists, though, is it? It's not even the daft half&half scarves, if we're really honest about it.
It's that these f**kers are actually ENJOYING themselves! Like... what's that all about? You're not supposed to enjoy watching City!! Somebody should set these f**kers straight. Watching City is all about endurance. Dour, po-faced endurance.
I swear I thought I saw one Johnny Foreigner Come Lately actually SMILE after the sixth goal yesterday. Not a f**king scooby, the lot of 'em...

PMSL.........none of them tramping down back entries behind Maine Road, dodging the dog shit, prams ,mattresses etc..... on a cold ,wet ,Manc. night in November. God memories are made of this.

cleavers said:
Had two dads and their sons (aged about 7 or 8) in front of me yesterday, in what are normally season ticket holder seats.

I assume the boys were at their first game, as they seemed a bit an awe at the crowd. They were scottish, not sure on the adults, but the boys definitely had scottish accents, and kids that age soon pick up a new accent. Looked like they had been on a spree in the shop, both boys wearing brand new home shirts, with Aguero on the back, and other bits and bobs. I expect they won't be here every week from now on, but they are the sort of new 'fan' the club want, because they spend, unlike us season ticket holders who just turn up, watch the game, and go home.

The thing is, these young boys, even if they might have a scottish team, will now be hooked on City, not many of us get to see a 7-0 win in their first live game, its taken me 40+ years to see us score 7, as I was living in Germany for the 10-1, and only got to about 10 games a season then, and sadly I was back a couple of weeks after that (a 0-0 draw if I correctly remember).

We have to accept that the demographic of the club is changing, some will like it, some will lump it, some will give up, but they bring the money in, so we older fans should accept it, and get on with supporting our club the way we always have, and let the new ones do it their way.

I'd sooner they were blues than any other club.

A very true and fair assessment. If we are to grow our revenue and fill that lovely new expanded stadium, we are going to need more fans.

Don't worry though us "true blues" will always have something the new lot don't- York away!

As an Exiled manc I hope we dont get classed as Tourist ........I'm in my 50's and my dad and granddad are and were City fans we were all born in Manchester. .........my kids are City fans but after living in the south ( utd homeland ! ) I have lost my manc accent and my kids never had one !! ....so when when we come to matches do we sound like tourist ??

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.