Tram on Sunday to Etihad

Worked pretty well! Only complaint is that they could stick an extra tram or two on because the queues behind us built up, worked well though and will be using it in the future!

The plan is to eventually be running a 6 minute service as the minimum standard, with additional match-day football specials laid on to provide additional capacity - this will be facilitated by the use of turnback sidings between Etihad Campus and Velopark enabling a quick turn-around of trams back to Piccadilly.

This is the largest transport scheme outside London, but unlike London transport, it does not receive a single penny of operating subsidy, whereas London transport receives an annual grant roughly equal to that of the rest of the national rail network combined.

All things considered, it's the best we can hope for and it is getting better.

I found it a great service. Parked up at Ladywell almost straight onto the tram, got off at Piccadilly and straight onto the Etihad tram. Coming back sat in the City Square to let the crowds die down a bit then back to Eccles. The only downside? Having to listen to that defeatist depressing Alistair Mann in City square. Upside? It didn't cost me a penny!! There are upsides to getting old!! :-).

And I was back home with time to watch the last 15 mins of the Wigan match and then the draw for the next round.

When I went to watch Hertha Berlin at the Olympic Stadium, a tram pulled out just as I walked on to the platform. I thought to myself, now I'll have to wait ten minutes, but no, another one pulled in straight away.

Admittedly, the Olympic Stadium is the last stop on that particular branch line, so the trams can be stacked up in waiting and this is obviously not possible at the Etihad at present.

Also, many clubs in Germany include the price of the public transport to and from the town / city centre, thus encouraging supporters to use it, rather than using their cars.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.