Transfer Nightmare After Winning The League

David Silva -- he did what?!?!?!?!?!?!?
I don't recall this scenario, & it'd be very un-David Silva like. The one player Mancini had serious grief with was Vinny.

Tevez had gone walkabout, the Toure's were at AFCON, & Kompany got injured & was out for weeks. It's during this period our title challenge started to falter.

Vinny was nearing a return after the international break, but Belgium called him up. Mancini wanted him to remain at Carrington to work on his fitness, but Kompany wanted to play in a couple of meaningless international friendlies, so joined up with the Belgian squad.

Sods law he didn't even complete the match because he aggravated his injury & was out for a further few weeks which enraged Mancini.

Things became strained between the pair, so the club stepped in to calm matters, but strangely they apparently backed Vinny which further fuelled rumours of Mancini falling out with the squad.

I was behind Mancini 100% on this, but the club's actions in backing Vinny only made sense a year later when Roberto was sacked with rumours of discord between him & the squad being the reason touted. It seemed nothing would be allowed to get in the way of Guardiola to City.

Conversely, the first thing Guardiola did when he arrived in 2016 was to put Yaya in the reserves & tell locker room lawyer Hart he had no future at City.

The club backed Pep all the way in this instance, which showed the difference in their intentions where Guardiola was concerned, as opposed to their approach to Mancini. ¯⁠\⁠_⁠(⁠⊙⁠_⁠ʖ⁠⊙⁠)⁠_⁠/⁠¯

Last edited:
That day was surreal. It started off with reports Mancini was to be sacked after the game.

Then Mancini came out asking the club to clarify the rumours & publicly back him.

Radio silence from the club.

The team & fans had to endure the match with all the Mancini rumours overshadowing the FA Cup final.

Losing to the fuckin Pie Eaters.

Mancini sacked after the match, with Brian Kidd installed as caretaker manager for the final few games.

It wasn't our finest hour & our actions didn't show the best of City, but it was always about Pep & not even the man who ripped down the Old Toilet banner was gonna stop the move toward Guardiola.

The question remains, did City ever tell Pellers, success or failure, he was merely a caretaker manager until Pep's three year Bayern contract was up?
Horrible day all round, even the weather was shit

He signed a contract extension after the 2012 season.

I dunno about the last bit. The article in the OP is spot on by my recollection, & as someone else pointed out, the five signings we made came in the final days of the window to the shock of everyone inside & outside the club.

The fact we never pushed on to get RVP & DDR, left me empty inside. Hazard was hedging his bets on whether the Chavs won the CL or not, so that was out of our hands, but RVP & DDR were there for the taking & it now transpires we may have deliberately fucked it up, with a view of undermining Mancini. Again, not our finest hour.
Pretty sure Rodwell signing was announced the day we played Chelsea in CS at Villa or was that Sinclair. The rest all seemed to be rushed last minute signings

Pretty sure Rodwell signing was announced the day we played Chelsea in CS at Villa or was that Sinclair. The rest all seemed to be rushed last minute signings
I recall the signings all came in the final week of the window & seemed a bit desperate on our behalf.

In truth, I've tried to erase that summer from my memory, it was so painful.

Everyone knows everyone had had enough of Mancini. The players, the staff, pretty much everyone except the supporters. Problem for Mancini was that Mancini was managing the club, not an OSC branch.

Summer 2012 was always going to be affected by FFP and the spending of the previous 2 years in particular. Also, probably didn't help that Mancini's boss was Soriano, and Mancini decided to do a newspaper interview calling him out.

Garcia's first season was a bit underwhelming, but he started every game of that 13/14 run-in and took us over the line. He was also crucial in two key away games against Newcastle and Hull that season when he had to step into defence due to injuries (and Kompany being sent off) and saw us through with two clean sheets in 2-0 wins. He partnered Demichelis on both occasions.
He also stepped up at Stoke City away I remember when in the face of some rough -house dirty stuff from the home side ,he showed what a tough resolute player he could be. A magnificent performance that day .

The question remains, did City ever tell Pellers, success or failure, he was merely a caretaker manager until Pep's three year Bayern contract was up?
When he started it was mooted that he had been made fully aware of the situation. His hissy fit when he spilled the beans about Pep’s appointment told a different story. Fact of the matter was he didn’t deserve a contract extension after the 14 months prior to that hissy fit - he was a lazy fucker who appeared to be sending teams out with no instructions whatsoever and I could have throttled him for his behaviour during the gurning horse face’s first domestic visit to the etihad, sat on his hands clueless watching the team that he’d selected getting torn to pieces. Engineer my arse.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.