Transfer Strategy

We know that as soon as "City" are mentioned in any transfer, the price goes up. Maybe that the long term strategy of the club is simply never to get into auctions as you never "win" - you always end up paying the absolute maximum price.

I do think there's probably some truth in this, but by the same token if you want the best strikers in the world - Ronaldo, Kane, Lewandowski, Mbappe, Lukaku, Neymar, Messi - then you simply are going to be paying a lot of money.

United are paying £30m for a 36 year old. Real are bidding £130m for Mbappe and will probably go higher. Chelsea paid £100m for Lukaku. Even Athletico Madrid paid £113m for Joao Felix. You can totally understand why Spurs wanted £150m in this market when they look at the other transfer values.

I can't understand though why the club go into negotiations with these types of players and worry about the fee. If you want, say, Neymar you will have to pay £150m or so, that's the going rate whether you like it or not.

We've chased Kane and Ronaldo this window, so the club recognises that we need a striker. But strikers cost more than other positions simply because these top players are the ones who win big games. United will be massively strengthened by Ronaldo going there - he's likely to win them 15 points this season and push them to being genuine title contenders. That's the difference the top players make - see Aguero who did the same for us.

We desperately need - this week - a left back and a striker, and we've needed them for 2/3 years now.

The club really needs to sort this mess out and support Pep. He can't be expected to go 2 seasons without a striker and be expected to win the PL and CL. It's very, very difficult.

We must surely have some money to spend as we were going to spend £100m on Kane. I'm not sure who is available, but we absolutely need to be bringing in some new faces. £15m for Cornet from Lyon looks a steal to me, based on how he played against us in the CL. We should be taking him, no question.

As for a striker, we must be able to use Bernardo as a swap for one of the best in Europe, somewhere?
Absolutely bang on. The names that you mentioned are elite goalscorers, who always go for a premium. There's no scope for bargain hunting or a negotiation in these deals. You either pay up or don't. So why do we even waste time on these transfers I'll never know. The days of signing Kun Aguero for 30 million are over. If the strategy is not to spend 150 mil, then don't spend two months chasing goose and aim for a more realistic target.

We don’t sign 30ish players short term, let the rags buy them and offer stupid wages they will never learn. They have history for that, a cheeky bid for Greenwood will do.
You mention Greenwood but the Rags also have Rashford and Martial, both good players who have had major dips in form and are struggling for game time. Playing in the right team with proper coaching these guys should and would be goal machines.

Khaldoon needs to think very seriously about replacing a number of the senior management and recruitment staff beneath him. This isn’t a one-off. There is a pattern of failing to secure important targets. Their job is to ensure we go into the season prepared and able to challenge on all fronts. I can’t imagine how negative the feeling is in the camp right now.

Well apparently he was dealing with the Kane transfer personally?? Genuinely think pep will feel extremely upset at the lack of backing he has received and was no doubt promised in this window

Khaldoon needs to think very seriously about replacing a number of the senior management and recruitment staff beneath him. This isn’t a one-off. There is a pattern of failing to secure important targets. Their job is to ensure we go into the season prepared and able to challenge on all fronts. I can’t imagine how negative the feeling is in the camp right now.
Important to whom? You?

I presume the way they work is by valuation. At a certain price X is worth pursuing. Past that price, X is a liability.

This underlying analysis should not be swayed by the emotional prattling if impatient fans.

But that's just how is have looked at it. I'm no Soccer Management Guru though :)

Well apparently he was dealing with the Kane transfer personally?? Genuinely think pep will feel extremely upset at the lack of backing he has received and was no doubt promised in this window
when he signed extension I remember reading that the club promised significant backing. Considering it took Pep until November to sign the contract suggests there will have been some serious talks.

I think the execs simply have gotten too arrogant due to success. Its recurring pattern not to strengthen after title winning season.

Now imagine if we won the CL? Wed probably sell couple of key players and not replace them.

Lautaro Martinez or Griezman might be options, even if it is late in the day.
Martinez isn’t good enough and we need a proper centre forward which Griezman is not.

we are a squad full of players who will get 10-15 goals but don’t have any who will get 30+ and it’s the need for a clinical finisher in the biggest games that’s going to cost us the league & in the CL in my opinion.

Pep pulled off an absolute masterstroke last a season and we’ve been so naive to not get him a forward for a 2nd summer in a row.

Lautaro Martinez or Griezman might be options, even if it is late in the day.
Doubt Inter's readily selling Lautaro now, now that they have already sold Lukaku. Maybe if Lautaro was sold first, Chelsea wouldn't have gotten Lukaku, but that's hindsight talking.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.