Traveling to away games in the 1970s

For me I had several interesting experiences at some of the midland games; Villa, Wolves and Birmingham City ! And then there was Leeds ! I'm too old for that shite these days

Remember it well, was right at the front with my little brother,couldn't move,so no chance of getting to the back,as West Ham all come marching up I said to our kid your gonna get a kicking here mate, your just gonna have to take it....then they all started clapping, never been so relieved in all my days
Are you expecting a reply??

Are you expecting a reply??
Not sure about about your reply to Blinders quote pal..but all city lads that made it to this game we’re getting ready for a mighty fuckin battle to defend our end. All game West Ham to the right of us we’re giving the cutthroats so no reason at this stage to think of anything else.

What happened next and on the walk to the tube was unique in those days.

Respect to us blues who attended games like this.

My first experience of City away days was a game at Forest. I was actually charged by City fans who mistook our group of blues for Forest fans.. Trust me I did not hang around to try explaining to them that I was actually a blue.. I shit myself and legged it... lol... a terrifying experience that was repeated at an away game at Oldham a few years later... Bad bastards them City fans in the 70s/80s !

Not sure about about your reply to Blinders quote pal..but all city lads that made it to this game we’re getting ready for a mighty fuckin battle to defend our end. All game West Ham to the right of us we’re giving the cutthroats so no reason at this stage to think of anything else.

What happened next and on the walk to the tube was unique in those days.

Respect to us blues who attended games like this.
Just want to add, all those ticket whores, supporters club members (who get tickets for top games without history), ex rags who now support us and whoever else prevented me from getting a ticket for the Stoke final you didn’t deserve it!! Ps Asia fields is bitter no more.

Went to every game for 2 seasons 76-77,77-78 and lots if others till the birth of my eldest in 83. I even got a part-time job as a forecourt attendant to fund my habit.
Bad experiences at Leeds, Forrest, Liverpool and Wolves. AC Millan wasn't fun either.
Got 3 teeth knocked out at Wolves outside the station while minding my own business. Dentist managed to put them back in (after root filling them) and attach them to my jaw. 3 months of hell.

Last edited:
Bad experiences at Leeds, Forrest, Liverpool and Wolves. AC Millan wasn't fun either.
Got 3 teeth knocked out at Wolves outside the station while minding my own business. Dentist managed to put them back in (after root filling them) and attach them to my jaw. 3 months of hell.

I am sure you learnt a valuable lesson, for away matches. The one yard rule. Anyone approaching within that distance was fair game.
I personally loved Leeds away. I never went by train or coach there though.

I am sure you learnt a valuable lesson, for away matches. The one yard rule. Anyone approaching within that distance was fair game.
I personally loved Leeds away. I never went by train or coach there though.
Bullocks coaches from Cheadle for the most part. Train for tge rest. Drove home with a pane of glass on the coach missing/badly cracked and held together with duct tape on about 10 occasions.

Last edited:
Went to every game for 2 seasons 76-77,77-78 and lots if others till the birth of my eldest in 83. I even got a part-time job as a forecourt attendant to fund my habit.

What was incredible was the number of young fans who went without a penny to away matches . Seemed to be a badge of pride for some. I preferred a few quid in my pocket.

Me and my mate wagged it off school and went on the Finglands coach to Leeds, must have been 77 or 78. I can't for the life of me figure out which match it was.
Not exactly the kind of thing you catch a 13/14 year old kid doing these days. I didn't tell my Mum until I was about 45.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.