Traveling to away games in the 1970s

I’ve been going to away games since 81 and the only two times I’ve been seriously concerned for my safety was Cardiff away fa cup 94 and Poznan 08

All always No particular order Leeds, Birmingham, Stoke, were awesome away games. Fucking loved the buzz. If you were with the right people only needed 30 40 good lads no cnunt was moving you. One funny example I saw was sheff weds away kicked off city fan hit this weds fan who was up for a bit of aggro, down he went30 secs later got up hit again by diff fan down he went again got back to his knees crawled to the bench sat on it much to say fuck this for a game of soldiers. Just stayed their and never moved again

Always found Spurs worse than Arsenal. But Chelsea was the worst back then imo. Really vicious NF types trying to give you their literature and then call in the boot boys if they heard a northern accent. Their nutters were all over the stadium not just in the Shed. London was usually worse because you didn't have the safety in numbers that you enjoyed at northern/ midlands grounds. And the accent gave you away. Didn't have the social mobility back then see....

I was at that Luton game too. I remember being quite shocked that Luton had a firm and wanted to give City a hiding. Forest used to be 'fun'. I saw a Blue thrown in the Trent off that bridge as you approach the ground. Stoke were always nasty but we took so many. Birmingham was one of the worst in my memory. Fighting all the way from the coaches, carried on in the ground, and then had to fight all the way back again. Even Derby would have a go back then. A Chelsea mate was beat up pretty badly at Derby! I used to enjoy Leeds too cos we took so many. Coming out of OT was always an experience. I'd like to say we were never bothered by them but I'd be lying. Scoreboard Paddock had those horrible hard dockers in there and the place would be empty with ten to go cos they were all outside waiting for you!

In saying that it was just as 'interesting' around Maine Road. Especially when the scousers, rags or leeds came. In the ground there'd be fights breaking out up and down the terrace until they were usually forced into the bottom right hand corner of the Kippax and then once everyone knew where they were they'd be getting it the whole game, with surges from behind and punches flying, especially the rags. All the lads at the other end on the left would run the length of the Kippax to have a go. Outside some regularly left the match early to congregate at the away exits and get stuck in. Before they started holding the away fans back there was always a fight on the car park behind the Kippax. Those alleys could tell a few ambush tales too... ;-)

I'm not condoning it. That's the way it was. At least that's what my memory says but it was a firkin long time ago ;-) Sometimes it was exciting and sometimes you crapped yourself. I take my lad now and I wouldn't do so if it was still like that tbh. But it was just the norm back then.

Anyone remember exactly when the 'cage' went up at MR for the away supporters. And also when the front railings went up to try and stop the pitch invasions?
I remember that one with Birmingham. They came on the pitch at the end. It was a night match.

I was living "darn sarf" in 1976, and went to Leicester away, on my tod. Funny thing in those days, you could walk right up to the ticket office and ask for a ticket for the City seated area and get one. Imagine that now. Any road, I had barely turned round after securing the said ticket when I found myself in "no man's land" between groups of City and Leicester fans who were heaving bottles, housebricks and fuck knows what else at each other. I made a strategic withdrawal to a prepared position, but to be honest, I think it was just instinct as I hadn't a clue what was going on.

Given that I am a card carrying coward and definitely a lover not a fighter, I don't know how I had the bottle to go away back in the 70s, as it could be bloody scary. It could also be great fun and a real buzz, and I don't think I was ever in any real danger, though one visit to Scousepool was a bit hairy.

Maine Road was no fun for away fans either. I vividly remember the Luton relegation match, and its aftermath. Me and my Dad were on the 76 going home, and in one of the side streets a gang of lads had turned a Luton minibus over on its roof and were kicking shit out of it. Would not have cared to be a Luton fan that day. (Or any day, come to think of it.)

Woods & Maybes coaches were mostly the preferred transport of choice in those days.

Some hairy trips to Newcastle & London.

I was living "darn sarf" in 1976, and went to Leicester away, on my tod. Funny thing in those days, you could walk right up to the ticket office and ask for a ticket for the City seated area and get one. Imagine that now. Any road, I had barely turned round after securing the said ticket when I found myself in "no man's land" between groups of City and Leicester fans who were heaving bottles, housebricks and fuck knows what else at each other. I made a strategic withdrawal to a prepared position, but to be honest, I think it was just instinct as I hadn't a clue what was going on.

Given that I am a card carrying coward and definitely a lover not a fighter, I don't know how I had the bottle to go away back in the 70s, as it could be bloody scary. It could also be great fun and a real buzz, and I don't think I was ever in any real danger, though one visit to Scousepool was a bit hairy.

Maine Road was no fun for away fans either. I vividly remember the Luton relegation match, and its aftermath. Me and my Dad were on the 76 going home, and in one of the side streets a gang of lads had turned a Luton minibus over on its roof and were kicking shit out of it. Would not have cared to be a Luton fan that day. (Or any day, come to think of it.)

I remember coming home on the 76 after a night match one time when right around Graver lane, a scrote threw a full brick through the bus window and hit a young girl right in the face. Blood everywhere. Dopey **** was a Failsworth local and showed his face. It didn't end well for him.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.