Traveling to away games in the 1970s

bezer57 said:
oh god wot days they were used to meet up in the golden city arcade then up the ramp to dilly of to ware ever got razered at west spam got hot oxo tipped on at sheff utd broken nose at anfield chiped teeth at everton bulldog u got a lot to answer for but would do it all again !!!!!!!!!!!

Then when you got back you had to contend with the rags until we got Arnold's to drop us off in town and trapped the red bastards on the dilly approach fukin field day kick the shit out of them

most away games untill 77 ..work comitments ... i would be here all night with my memories lol..in the early days wore my manc uni sweat shirt .
yelloways
coaches. later on we allways got the early morn std train otherwise it was the cattle truck with plods everywhere so we could have a piss up and a ruck in the town centres , any one else go to the 3rd replay against ipswich at stamford bridge ? night game mid week ffs there wasnt many of us ,we was in the shed lol happy days

BLUEMOONBAZ said:
most away games untill 77 ..work comitments ... i would be here all night with my memories lol..in the early days wore my manc uni sweat shirt .
yelloways
coaches. later on we allways got the early morn std train otherwise it was the cattle truck with plods everywhere so we could have a piss up and a ruck in the town centres , any one else go to the 3rd replay against ipswich at stamford bridge ? night game mid week ffs there wasnt many of us ,we was in the shed lol happy days

Got me knee busted by millwall didn't get home for 2 days

does anybody remember the 'league liner' in the 70's?... It was a football special with a difference... normally they were the shittiest rolling stock that BR had available... the league liner was a train that each club took turns to hire.. it had a disco, a proper cafe and a special carriage where you could graffiti the walls... City hired it for West Ham... 17 were on it!! Cups for cock ups eh? Thankfully it's changing now...

BLUEMOONBAZ said:
yelloways
It was against Norwich not Ipswich we won 6-1 the crowd was about 6000

cyberblue said:
BLUEMOONBAZ said:
yelloways
It was against Norwich not Ipswich we won 6-1 the crowd was about 6000
lol so it was .. im old now yeah 6k was about right ,mind wasnt many blues

so mamy memories , just a few that stand out more than others norwich away ,surprisingly kicked off , leeds away kicked off every time, stoke away ,lad with white mohair jumper got punched and went down and kept getting up again and again covered in mud in coach park

BLUEMOONBAZ said:
yelloways

Went down on the special to Stamford Bridge for the Norwich replay and was in the Shed when this daft Cockney rag walked across the terrace in front of the City fans with all his badges on, thinking he was the dog's - he took a few kicks in the arse before legging it.

Although it was hostile and you had to be streetwise to avoid the aggravation it was only at Leeds and Brum that I ever felt in real danger, that walk back to Leeds station was a 'mare. Other grounds like Chelsea, WHam, Spurs, Merseyside and the N.East were definitely dodgy but mostly it was the coaches that got bricked there, inside the ground if you kept a low-profile and didn't get sussed by their "lads" it wasn't too bad.

Mind you I used to quite enjoy some of the midweek away games where there might only be 40 or 50 on the train plus one or two coachloads.

It's a lot better now though, I can even wear my colours to the Swamp, unthinkable in the 70s unless you were in a very large and mean group of Blues.

maybe we should start a topic on "the worst away following we had?. but do we want any rags to read!
had many times late 70s - early 80s even.. sunderland a night match. van load of us never saw any blues(pissed out of my head) but did hear good old helen ringing her bell..
went on many pre-season tours years ago. sweden, finland spain. ect. never many there.

My first ever away match was a fa cup game at Leeds. Must have been mid seventies, as I was only about ten. The manager of the kids football team I played for at the time took us, and we were winning 2-0 with about ten minutes left, when the Yorkshire nutters invaded the pitch. I can remember two players coming over to the City section (think it was Owen and Tueart), pleading with us not to go onto the pitch, which was the last thing on my mind. A couple of us got split up from the group, and had an interesting journey back to the van! Put me off away games for a while, and by the time I was old enough to go with my mates, the worst of the violence was over. Everton in '81 was interesting though!

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.