Traveling to away games in the 1970s

BLUEMOONBAZ said:
most away games untill 77 ..work comitments ... i would be here all night with my memories lol..in the early days wore my manc uni sweat shirt .
yelloways
coaches. later on we allways got the early morn std train otherwise it was the cattle truck with plods everywhere so we could have a piss up and a ruck in the town centres , any one else go to the 3rd replay against ipswich at stamford bridge ? night game mid week ffs there wasnt many of us ,we was in the shed lol happy days

well prob most until early 80,s now i think about then as i could .. oh happy days mind i wouldnt take my kids if it was the same now.
twente away in holland was a real laugh

onelife said:
maybe we should start a topic on "the worst away following we had?. but do we want any rags to read!
had many times late 70s - early 80s even.. sunderland a night match. van load of us never saw any blues(pissed out of my head) but did hear good old helen ringing her bell..
went on many pre-season tours years ago. sweden, finland spain. ect. never many there.
Worst I can recall was a midweek match at Ipswich towards the end of the 75/76 season, nothing to play for, we'd already won the League Cup. No special train, just one coachload from Maine Rd and some southern-based Blues, I doubt if there were 100 City fans there. Lost 2-1, Ged Keegan scored and we went in that bar at the ground after the match for an hour (Centre Spot was it called?) for a few drinks and the coach picked us up about 10-45, got back in Manc around 4-ish.

hgblue said:
My first ever away match was a fa cup game at Leeds. Must have been mid seventies, as I was only about ten. The manager of the kids football team I played for at the time took us, and we were winning 2-0 with about ten minutes left, when the Yorkshire nutters invaded the pitch. I can remember two players coming over to the City section (think it was Owen and Tueart), pleading with us not to go onto the pitch, which was the last thing on my mind. A couple of us got split up from the group, and had an interesting journey back to the van! Put me off away games for a while, and by the time I was old enough to go with my mates, the worst of the violence was over.
It was January 1978: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p3YfKuVHgxs

neil jung said:
hgblue said:
My first ever away match was a fa cup game at Leeds. Must have been mid seventies, as I was only about ten. The manager of the kids football team I played for at the time took us, and we were winning 2-0 with about ten minutes left, when the Yorkshire nutters invaded the pitch. I can remember two players coming over to the City section (think it was Owen and Tueart), pleading with us not to go onto the pitch, which was the last thing on my mind. A couple of us got split up from the group, and had an interesting journey back to the van! Put me off away games for a while, and by the time I was old enough to go with my mates, the worst of the violence was over.

Cheers mate, don't think I've seen those goals for 30 years!

Remember about 100 West Ham coming into the kippax when there was no segregation, brave bastards. The funny thing was one of the west ham fans was the English teacher from our school.

lancs blue said:
neil jung said:
hgblue said:

Cheers mate, don't think I've seen those goals for 30 years!
YEAH cheers m8 same as ,in fact getting back to the train station is more memorable , we had to walk up a hill above ground n found pub stayed there n got cab later on the locals wasnt very happy that day

hgblue said:
My first ever away match was a fa cup game at Leeds. Must have been mid seventies, as I was only about ten. The manager of the kids football team I played for at the time took us, and we were winning 2-0 with about ten minutes left, when the Yorkshire nutters invaded the pitch. I can remember two players coming over to the City section (think it was Owen and Tueart), pleading with us not to go onto the pitch, which was the last thing on my mind. A couple of us got split up from the group, and had an interesting journey back to the van! Put me off away games for a while, and by the time I was old enough to go with my mates, the worst of the violence was over. Everton in '81 was interesting though!

The police horses came on that day. It was great. I was a student at Leeds University at the time and remember walking the 2 miles back to the city centre to meet my student friends at a pub called The Whip. Lots of police, police dogs and nasty Leeds fans but I just strolled into The Whip for a quiet pint without any trouble at all. Those Leeds fans were just all talk when you faced up to them.

All this talk about people sussing the accent you had. It must have been a nightmare if you were a City fan who didn't have a Manc/Northwest accent at Maine Road?

I remember reading on here someone from the Midlands who was a City fan with a Brummie accent having to convince Daft Donald he was actually a City fan during a game against Aston Villa.

neil jung said:
hgblue said:

Thanks for that mate. Much appreciated. Brought back some memories that did!

Thank God those days are over,i would not be taking my my sons if it was still like it was back in the day.I remember going with my Dad in the late 70's and it always kicked off.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.