Tribute to the Newcastle lads killed on MH17 at first game

Re: Tribute to the Newcastle lads killed on MH17 at first ga

Gestures like this serve many purposes, but primarily the following:

1) It shows that fans CAN see beyond the football and that whilst we support different teams we are still human beings who still have respect for others.
2) It shows that other fans still count for somethings and that an untimely death isn't forgotten about in a flash. Maybe it's cold comfort to relatives and friends, but it's a polite nod to say 'they ARE in our thoughts'. Sure we didn't know them, but we can imagine it might be the guy who sits next to us on match days, or the bloke you travelled up on the train with.
3) It is a way of saying 'we' (Manchester City fans) don't care what colours you wear. We aren't into neanderthal hatred of other fans. We just support City, love City, but we don't have to be tribal prats.
4) It's a reminder to ourselves. It COULD have been one of us. It may well BE one of us in the future. Why not set an example of respect to others BEFORE we ask it of others.

There's no harm in it generating good PR and good will, but as long as that's not the primary motive, all is well.
And even if it ever were to become the primary motive, it's still an improvement over coin throwing, and pathetic chants about disasters.

didsburyblu said:
KippaxCitizen said:
sir baconface said:
The gesture wasn't to win plaudits or sell shirts. We got suitable recognition in that the banner was deliberately picked out on camera. Why would we want the limelight on such an occasion?
People like to be seen grieving over something big. I think they think that if you're seen to show respect to the death ls of people that is in the media you should get plaudits from all corners of society with lots of comments about how great they are.

Serious question? How old are you? Cos you come across as a first class twat! I hope for your sake nothing bad happens to your family cos you'll get fuck all support from here with your attitude.
I'm not even sure your a city fan but if you are I seriously hope our paths never cross you are a grade one asshole who services would be more suited to the swamp down the road.
Now If you don't get that fellow fans want to show respect that is your choice but stop spouting your shite on this thread cos your in a minority of one now your fellow supporter got banned

+10!!! No idea who you are or where you come from KippaxCitizen but i just wish you would fuck right off,you would be better off at the swamp,if that's not where you are really from anyway!

didsburyblu said:
This thread has had a mixed reaction most in favour but some dubious of our intentions which is a little disappointing. The whole point of the banner was not to revel in self glory but to pay tribute to two loyal fans who litteraly went to the back of beyond to support their team and ultimately lost their lives in the process.
We knew last week that the local newspaper were running an article on it and we knew we were meeting sky news today but didn't post it as this wasn't about us it was about two lads who lost their lives following the team they love.
Anyway to all the city fans there today the minutes silence was perfectly observed and the minutes applause albeit it was a minute late was impeccable too so well done.

It was only a minute late where you were as you're in a different time zone up there in the away end!

I was in the Director's Box yesterday and the way all blues conducting themselves made me very proud. The sound coming down from there was deafening at times as well so well done all and to the guys involved in the banner it was a fantastic gesture and was very much appreciated by all the Geordies I was with.

Just out of interest where exactly was the banner as I couldn't see it from where I was?

papillon said:
didsburyblu said:
This thread has had a mixed reaction most in favour but some dubious of our intentions which is a little disappointing. The whole point of the banner was not to revel in self glory but to pay tribute to two loyal fans who litteraly went to the back of beyond to support their team and ultimately lost their lives in the process.
We knew last week that the local newspaper were running an article on it and we knew we were meeting sky news today but didn't post it as this wasn't about us it was about two lads who lost their lives following the team they love.
Anyway to all the city fans there today the minutes silence was perfectly observed and the minutes applause albeit it was a minute late was impeccable too so well done.

It was only a minute late where you were as you're in a different time zone up there in the away end!

I was in the Director's Box yesterday and the way all blues conducting themselves made me very proud. The sound coming down from there was deafening at times as well so well done all and to the guys involved in the banner it was a fantastic gesture and was very much appreciated by all the Geordies I was with.

Just out of interest where exactly was the banner as I couldn't see it from where I was?

The banner was behind the goal at the city end but down with the Newcastle fans next to their banner as it was too large for any of the availbale railings in the city end

I am so proud of you for doing that banner, proud of the respect shown by the club, fans and players.
No, it isn't about us, but why do some people have to be cynical and spoil things for such a pure gesture?
Maximum you for doing this, though I know you didn't do it for that reason

didsburyblu said:
KippaxCitizen said:
sir baconface said:
The gesture wasn't to win plaudits or sell shirts. We got suitable recognition in that the banner was deliberately picked out on camera. Why would we want the limelight on such an occasion?
People like to be seen grieving over something big. I think they think that if you're seen to show respect to the death ls of people that is in the media you should get plaudits from all corners of society with lots of comments about how great they are.

Serious question? How old are you? Cos you come across as a first class twat! I hope for your sake nothing bad happens to your family cos you'll get fuck all support from here with your attitude.
I'm not even sure your a city fan but if you are I seriously hope our paths never cross you are a grade one asshole who services would be more suited to the swamp down the road.
Now If you don't get that fellow fans want to show respect that is your choice but stop spouting your shite on this thread cos your in a minority of one now your fellow supporter got banned
My attitude was towards the fella moaning that we didn't get long enough time on screen on the tele. So wind yer neck in! and maybe have a scan over the posts my post was directed at before spouting your shite.

paulchapo said:
didsburyblu said:
KippaxCitizen said:

+10!!! No idea who you are or where you come from KippaxCitizen but i just wish you would fuck right off,you would be better off at the swamp,if that's not where you are really from anyway!
And you've obviously got carried away with yourself without having the understanding of what my post was directed at neither (it was directed at the person moaning that we didn't get very much time on the tele screen). So how about you also read posts properly like the other bloke and stop taking bollocks too!

Does anyone know what happened to the banner after the match?

Even if the banner wasn't shown whatsoever by the Tv crews filming the event, the fact is several clubs came out yesterday to pay their respects, including Newcastle's biggest rivals Sunderland, and the Newcastle fans inside the stadium yesterday would of seen this, as would the families of the deceased.

This is most important - the fact the lads got a decent sending off inside a place they loved, with their families also in attendance.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.