Trouble in Leeds tonight

There’s been riots in different cities every few years usually for ridiculous reasons usually based on misunderstandings. Over the last 40 odd years we’ve had riots in Moss Side, Toxteth, Brixton, Tottenham, St Paul’s, Handsworth and plenty of other places with the worst of them happening in 1981 and 2011. The Leeds riots the other day were pretty tame by comparison to some of them and are not an indication of a fundamental change to the character of our cities.
There have been riots in every city in the world for centuries. Likewise, there have always been instances of segregation and minorites living in tight hives. I remember my Dad taking me to Moss Side for the first time when I was kid, and a group of young black kids cycling around the streets offering to "look after" match-goers cars. That was my first abiding memory of my City fanhood, and I cherish it because I recognise there have and always will be different ethnicities living within our communities, and I don't doubt that most of those lads on those bikes grew up to be hard-working, well-intentioned members of the community. Oftentimes it's disaffected youth that cause the powder keg to go off. Things are no worse now than they were then.

What we don't need are manipulative, insidious arseholes like the leader of NF MkII and Cruella lighting further fires with their rhetoric.

There have been riots in every city in the world for centuries. Likewise, there have always been instances of segregation and minorites living in tight hives. I remember my Dad taking me to Moss Side for the first time when I was kid, and a group of young black kids cycling around the streets offering to "look after" match-goers cars. That was my first abiding memory of my City fanhood, and I cherish it because I recognise there have and always will be different ethnicities living within our communities, and I don't doubt that most of those lads on those bikes grew up to be hard-working, well-intentioned members of the community. Oftentimes it's disaffected youth that cause the powder keg to go off. Things are no worse now than they were then.

What we don't need are manipulative, insidious arseholes like the leader of NF MkII and Cruella lighting further fires with their rhetoric.
True but fact is the Roma in Harehills have suddenly found a voice just like the Asians, Irish and Jewish did in and around the same areas of Manchester , Leeds over-the decades before working their nuts off to get out of the ghettos. Let's hope they seek , get opportunities to do the same in a country still more tolerant than we give it credit for.

Who'd have thought there was such a significant "roma/Romanian" community in Leeds.
Be surprised if there isn’t in most major cities. There are shitloads in Manchester around the Longsight/Levenshulme border. Always remember during covid working around there and there were tons of them gathered together on street corners on the piss during the afternoon. Was when it was all that party of 6 and just wear a mask if you need a piss bollocks.

I’ve been through Harehills several times, though not since before the pandemic, as Mrs Vienna used to have appointments in the hospital there.

To say it’s not the best of areas is an understatement.

It’s where both Micah and Mel B. grew up.

Last edited:

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.