Trying to gamble up to a season ticket.....

SWP's back said:
What does "lay" and the other one mean?

When you 'lay' a bet, you're betting against it happening... however if you go about it wrong you're liable for a lot more than you're winning.

For example, a mate of mine had a £300 bet on Man U to win the league in January at evens. A nice £300 profit.

Closer towards the end of season United were 1/5 on Betfair to win the league, to cover the bet he could have laid the bet off for £50. If United didn't win the league, he would have covered the £300 outlayed.

SWP's back said:
What does "lay" and the other one mean?

"lay" is backing a horse to lose.

"To Be Placed" (if that's the one you mean), is a market for the horse to make the placings, usually the first three, but in some races 2 and in others 4, depending on the size of the field.

The attraction of the TBP market is that you can have a smaller bet on the win, and a larger bet on the place. The upshot is that you're more likely to secure some kind of profit over traditional each way betting

law74 said:
leighton said:
I have a bet on in 10 minutes at Southwell 5.45 Supreme Keano and Outlaw Tom in a reverse forecast.

Now I know why you no longer work.

Nice lift, hope you had a tasty wedge on.

Indeed, nice spot Leighton, sadly missed it. Going to look at mark's football accy but bet odds are very short on all but the Sweden draw.

Thanks for that guys.

What does reverse forecast mean and how easy is betfair? Do you set your own odds? Could I - in theory offer 100-1 for City to win the league next season? Would be a good way to launder money to family members if I was so inclined if so.

LeeOnePen said:
Right, I’ve got £50 in my betfair account and, for a bit of fun, I’m going to try and get it up as high as possible to help pay for my season ticket. If it goes then it goes, but I thought this was as good a place as any to record the ups and, more likely, downs.

Any tips welcome.

Day 1, Balance £50
Bet 1: £10.60,Moone’s my name, LAY the win, 3:55 Salisbury, potential winnings £10
Bet 2: £15 on Sara’s Smile ,To Be Placed, 7:20 Southwell, potential winnings £9.15
New balance, £24.60

i'd put 10 quid on 0 in the bookies roulette machine. better still 13 quid, season ticket paid:)

LeeOnePen said:
law74 said:
leighton said:
I have a bet on in 10 minutes at Southwell 5.45 Supreme Keano and Outlaw Tom in a reverse forecast.

Now I know why you no longer work.

Nice lift, hope you had a tasty wedge on.

Indeed, nice spot Leighton, sadly missed it. Going to look at mark's football accy but bet odds are very short on all but the Sweden draw.

I wish I put more on it than I did. I only had €2.50 reverse forecast so for my €5 I got back €21.83 not too bad.

I have a small each way bet on Strictly in the 7.00 at ffos las. 20/1 came 5th in the last race didnt look too bad to me.

SWP's back said:
Thanks for that guys.

What does reverse forecast mean and how easy is betfair? Do you set your own odds? Could I - in theory offer 100-1 for City to win the league next season? Would be a good way to launder money to family members if I was so inclined if so.

A straight forecast is picking two horses (or greyhounds) to come first and second in a specified order. The reverse forecast is two bets, A to beat B or B to beat A, if anything else in the field makes the top two, you lose.

Betfair does allow you to set your own odds, but if you offered city at 100/1, it would be taken immediately and automatically. I wrote a post in off topic about how it works a month ago. The basic attractions are enhanced prices and the opportunity to back against things. For example, I made quite a bit of money laying Jo to score at any point in our games. If he doesn't get on the pitch the bet is void, but of he makes a cameo and doesn't score your up.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.