Turky....... should I be worried?

you'll be ok.I tried at least a dozen times to get rid of the wife,and she's still sitting here with me now!

BTH said:
I went to Marmaris five years ago. Don't walk down the street as you'll be mithered to death by every restauranteur in town, especially if - like me- you don't tan. They'll never leave your missus alone either. Don't buy anything there. It's like Strawberry Fields - nothing is real. Nothing. Don't even think bout buying any cigs, especially B&H as they'll be sweepings off the factory floor and will give you pleurisy at the very least. The only beer they sell is Efe's and don't, whatever you do, stop in the street as a local with a toothbrush and some mysterious liquid will start cleaning your shoes, badly before demanding money for the privilege. with menaces.

Otherwise, enjoy your holiday.

see are the things I am worried about, not so much people asking for me to come in their restaurant because you get that everywhere. But people hastle you so they can clean you shoes! WTF!

You go on hoilday to get away from all that hussle and bussle but then drop yourself right in the center of it all.

I may alright at saying no to them, kelly will just talk to them and spend all our money in a day. I don't want to locked up in the hotel all 10 days but I can see me just not wanting to go because of the hassle:

This advise is all mint lads but you can only find out for yourself can't you.<br /><br />-- Sat Aug 07, 2010 1:56 pm --<br /><br />
scowy68 said:
you'll be ok.I tried at least a dozen times to get rid of the wife,and she's still sitting here with me now!

sounds like a keeper!

there is a big difference between the cities, like Istanbul, and the southern tourist resort destinations.

just remember Turkish people are natural born sellers, so you will be approached and 'sold' to; here's some more Turkish for you, with translations:-

"chock pahaleh" - very expensive (always say this no matter what price you're quoted first time; there is always room for bargaining in Turkey, and they expect to do it with you... I even bargain with the taxi drivers on occasions like when I've got a long trip to the airport - and the last one I offered a bonus to if he got me there on time and he ran the first set of red lights, ahhaaha, it was great!)

"evet" - yes

"higher" - no

"saouul" - thanks

"sherefeh" - cheers

& remember to mention football; you can't go wrong

"bock" - shit

"chock bock" - very shit

"kotu" - bad

you get the idea??

"goozelle" - beautiful/nice/pretty/good

mention any Turkish player, for example

"Tugay, English Premier League - chock goozelle" and you will get approving nods and smiles, etc

(I have often had these sorts of limited but fun conversations with taxi drivers when there was nothing else to talk about - you can really rip into ManUre and their players and have a lot of fun with people - they understand perfectly, not like Americans!)

and also

"billmeeyourum" - I don't understand

"benim Turkche chock kotu" - my Turkish is very bad

MCFCinUSA said:
there is a big difference between the cities, like Istanbul, and the southern tourist resort destinations.

just remember Turkish people are natural born sellers, so you will be approached and 'sold' to; here's some more Turkish for you, with translations:-

"chock pahaleh" - very expensive (always say this no matter what price you're quoted first time; there is always room for bargaining in Turkey, and they expect to do it with you... I even bargain with the taxi drivers on occasions like when I've got a long trip to the airport - and the last one I offered a bonus to if he got me there on time and he ran the first set of red lights, ahhaaha, it was great!)

"evet" - yes

"higher" - no

"saouul" - thanks

"sherefeh" - cheers

& remember to mention football; you can't go wrong

"bock" - shit

"chock bock" - very shit

"kotu" - bad

you get the idea??

"goozelle" - beautiful/nice/pretty/good

mention any Turkish player, for example

"Tugay, English Premier League - chock goozelle" and you will get approving nods and smiles, etc

(I have often had these sorts of limited but fun conversations with taxi drivers when there was nothing else to talk about - you can really rip into ManUre and their players and have a lot of fun with people - they understand perfectly, not like Americans!)

and also

"billmeeyourum" - I don't understand

"benim Turkche chock kotu" - my Turkish is very bad

Thanks mate,

This will come in really handy, I think its always nice to try and speak the languge when your on hoilday. Especially please & thanks you.

Some lads have told me not to take to much stuff with me because everything is so cheap. Do you know what thinking about it, I shouldn't be so worried about the place. People are people where ever you go?

Don't go to Oct so loads of time to get it out of my system.

cheers.

BTH said:
I went to Marmaris five years ago. Don't walk down the street as you'll be mithered to death by every restauranteur in town, especially if - like me- you don't tan. They'll never leave your missus alone either. Don't buy anything there. It's like Strawberry Fields - nothing is real. Nothing. Don't even think bout buying any cigs, especially B&H as they'll be sweepings off the factory floor and will give you pleurisy at the very least. The only beer they sell is Efe's and don't, whatever you do, stop in the street as a local with a toothbrush and some mysterious liquid will start cleaning your shoes, badly before demanding money for the privilege. with menaces.

Otherwise, enjoy your holiday.

Replace Efes with Carlsberg and you could be describing Heywood.

here you go Stu:-

"lootfen" - please

"tesheckoolair" - thank you

you'll hear these words pretty quickly so you can practice your pronunciation upon arrival... the Turkish accent is different and I've been spelling the words above as I think they're best spelt in English.

if you're in a tourist resort most people will be speaking English to you, even the guys in the street selling knock-off merchandise - and since Turkey produces well over a third of all Europe's clothing you'll find buying stuff like this very inexpensive.

you'll have fun and find Turkey as hospitable as any other place you could visit, if not more so.

Marmaris is nice, they would be chatting up your bird though, but otherwise its nice locals aren't great but as long as your in like a tourist part such as Marmaris then it's a very nice place to go

I can't believe this conversation is taking place in the 21st century. It is Marmaris you're off to, not Mars, right?

You'll be fine, enjoy your holiday.
Only been once and wouldn't go back if you paid me but lots of other people i know love it.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.