Turning right

Correct. Also what if car 2 needed to be in the left hand lane after the right hand turn in order to turn into a side street. Car 2 would end up cutting across the lane of the right hand lane.

It's like a clock; You enter at 6. If your continued direction is any point after "12", you position yourself in the right hand lane. TL;DR, you don't turn right from the left hand lane at a roundabout!
UNLESS the road signage instructs otherwise. This is the point people are missing and it states that clearly in the Highway Code.

If the OP posted the location we could say for certain just by checking Google Maps.

UNLESS the road signage instructs otherwise. This is the point people are missing and it states that clearly in the Highway Code.

Is that scenario presented in the OP's picture? No.

Also, logic would dictate that if your regular path is blocked you'd be forced to make the appropriate manouvre; still doesn't mean that in a normal situation, there would ever present a reason for turning right from the left hand lane.

Car 1 wrong. 100%.

Does every car in car 2 position have to effectively do a u-turn and go back down the road you’ve just left, because that’s what would have to happen for car 1 to be right?

Funny enough at the next roundabout I have ended up going back the way I came lol as the left lane turned across me lol

1000005292.jpg

Is that scenario presented in the OP's picture? No.
You are right it is not BUT it is, I assume, a dual carriageway that has been "broken into" by a roundabout. The purpose of a dual carriageway is to allow free flow of traffic so it would be odd to break that flow by reducing it to a single lane before returning directly to two lanes. As I said before, nobody can say for certain what is right or wrong without more info.

You are right it is not BUT it is, I assume, a dual carriageway that has been "broken into" by a roundabout. The purpose of a dual carriageway is to allow free flow of traffic so it would be odd to break that flow by reducing it to a single lane before returning directly to two lanes. As I said before, nobody can say for certain what is right or wrong without more info.
When you assume you make an ass of u and me.

In free flowing traffic, on a roundabout you don't turn right from a left hand lane. You're turning right, you go in the right lane. It really is that simple.

highway-code-rule-185.jpg

Last edited:

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.