TV Series

Think I’ll start watching power of the rings once the season has finished and watch it like a long slow build film..

The Rings of Power looks sumptuous as it should with all the money spent on it. The world is very believable some characters more interesting than others. I think the elf lords' hair deserves its own thread to rival the bread based internecine warfare of the barm/muffin thread!

This isn't based on any particular work of either JRR or Christopher Tolkien but on the appendices of LoTR. Lots n lots of details but not really a compelling narrative. Hope it doesn't end up like the Hobbit stretched plot spread thin over 3 long films. We'll see I thought episode 2 picked up pace after the scene setting opener.

But it a a real fucking shame that internet cunts get racist whenever there's people of darker skin in any sci fi or fantasy tv or film. The cleverer ones might disguise it in terms of affecting the believability of the characters or lacking experience but it's clear their main beef is with having brown folks in stuff that has dragons, dwarves elves orcs wizards etc.

Tolkien didn't as a rule describe skin tone, did set out to create an imagined mythology of England, based elvish languages on Finnish and Welsh. He also served on the Western Front and was injured during the Battle of the Somme. He wrote the experience of mixing with ordinary soldiers changed him. He would have been serving with troops from across the Empire and experience diversity.

His father died in South Africa when he and the rest of his family came to live in Birmingham, his mother died when he was 12. I don't pretend to know anything about his character but I do think his essential compassion and decency shines through in his writings.

In fellowship of the ring Frodo says it was a pity that Bilbo spared Gollum when he had the chance to kill him after escaping from the Misty Mountains. Gandalf replies that it was pity that stayed Bilbo's hand. He goes on to say

"Many that live deserve death. Some that die deserve life. Can you give it to them Frodo? Do not be eager to deal out death in judgement."

I've always remembered that, think it's a good way to lead your life. Seems the essence of what it is to be human.

Anyway thanks if you've made it this far!

Shit on the villa.

Jesus its only released 2 episodes! Judge it at the end of the season

And don't be talking "no respect for the source material" you know Christopher Tolkien absolutely hated the LotR movies....

The poster you replied to is old enough to remember going to see the LOTR movies, but apparently not old enough to remember that the die-hard fans hated them because...they weren't loyal to the source material.

Also any self-described Tolkein fan who complains about pacing is just desperate to find fault. The pacing of the books is bloody horrific, and Amazon has committed to 5 seasons. We are 5% of the way through this show, it's doing what it needs to do in order to set up characters, plotlines etc.

But it a a real fucking shame that internet cunts get racist whenever there's people of darker skin in any sci fi or fantasy tv or film. The cleverer ones might disguise it in terms of affecting the believability of the characters or lacking experience but it's clear their main beef is with having brown folks in stuff that has dragons, dwarves elves orcs wizards etc.

It's never about the sanctity of the source material, it's always about disrupting the image people had in their head. Whether it's a black stormtrooper or dwarf, they imagined it a certain way and get upset when someone shows them a version that doesn't fit.

If Tolkein didn't specify that a character had a specific skin colour, it's not important to the character, so it can be anything.

House of the dragon is far superior, and this comes from someone who loved and then hated GoT for what they did to it.

LoTR:RoP is absolute dross. No respect for the source material. Amateur acting, terrible script, dire pacing. I love LoTR, I grew up with it. This was the children born of the 90s Star Wars (original trilogy). I was born in 1992 and I remember vividly watching every single Lord of the Rings film in the cinema. The hobbit series was crap and I imagine watching them was like what kids of the 70s and 80s felt watching the Star Wars prequels ( although I love them) I wanted to like it. But it just made me feel like shit and sick. Poor. Also ironic that woke LoTR has the unkept hobbit precursors speaking as Irish travellers and thus is racist. Not for me. Shite. And dwarf women have beards.
Just watched both episodes and enjoyed both.

Not sure where you are getting the no repsect for the source material from, they are telling a story from an age that tolkien was vague about beyond the lore surrounding the forging of the rings and saurons rise and the writers are not permitted to use material from the silmarillion, but have involved the tolkien society and experts to aprove any new charator, arc and expansion into other realms or Arda.

Plus
Harfoots one of many peoples moans online were around elven lands in the second age and though the ones in this seem to be a mix of them and fallohides so faithful, Galadriel is deviating slightly, but then until Annatar apears it is too early to say if her overall story has been compeltley changed.
Lastly the stranger is more likely a blue wizzard or another istari

Last edited:
The Rings of Power looks sumptuous as it should with all the money spent on it. The world is very believable some characters more interesting than others. I think the elf lords' hair deserves its own thread to rival the bread based internecine warfare of the barm/muffin thread!

This isn't based on any particular work of either JRR or Christopher Tolkien but on the appendices of LoTR. Lots n lots of details but not really a compelling narrative. Hope it doesn't end up like the Hobbit stretched plot spread thin over 3 long films. We'll see I thought episode 2 picked up pace after the scene setting opener.

Tolkien didn't as a rule describe skin tone, did set out to create an imagined mythology of England, based elvish languages on Finnish and Welsh. He also served on the Western Front and was injured during the Battle of the Somme. He wrote the experience of mixing with ordinary soldiers changed him. He would have been serving with troops from across the Empire and experience diversity.

His father died in South Africa when he and the rest of his family came to live in Birmingham, his mother died when he was 12. I don't pretend to know anything about his character but I do think his essential compassion and decency shines through in his writings.

In fellowship of the ring Frodo says it was a pity that Bilbo spared Gollum when he had the chance to kill him after escaping from the Misty Mountains. Gandalf replies that it was pity that stayed Bilbo's hand. He goes on to say

"Many that live deserve death. Some that die deserve life. Can you give it to them Frodo? Do not be eager to deal out death in judgement."

I've always remembered that, think it's a good way to lead your life. Seems the essence of what it is to be human.

Shit on the villa.
The stupid thing about the trolls on the internet moaning about lenny henry and who more likely have only watched jackson attempt at tolkien know fuck all about the harfoots mentioned in the LotR appendix who were described as brown skinned

Last edited:

Shit on the villa.
Galadriel was some woman. She even foresaw the energy crisis when giving a gift to Frodo:

“May it be a light to you in dark places, when all other lights go out.”

I watched the first episode and agree with the comments about the visuals, they are stunning.
Those that don't know or have read JRR might struggle with the language which is a little dated. It will be interesting to see if Amazon has been able to stitch together the source material into a compulsive narrative.

Anyway. LOTR was way ahead of its time;

Sam Gamgee commenting on the current government:

"Even darkness must pass. A new day will come. And when the sun shines it will shine out the clearer."

or even,

“But in the end it’s only a passing thing, this shadow; even darkness must pass.”

They knew a thing or two them Hobbits.

Shit on the villa.

That's fucking brilliant assessment and read.

I'd be proud of that, meself!!

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.