TV Series

it's a true story so couldn't really alter how it was, just watched the last one and worthy of IMBD rating maybe slightly higher
Plus they may want to do another. I know it's then no longer true, but it probably has legs

I’m still not sure about it. I’m enjoying watching it still but some of the plot devices are pretty naff.
Can you elaborate, mate? As a book reader, I've found the TV show plot has really added a lot of nuance missing from the book (which, in fairness, was written as an 'unreliable' narrative).

I lasted 10 minutes, which admittedly is not enough to have a valid opinion. However when three things really annoy you early doors, you know it's not for you:-

1. Pointless swearing at each other. I like a good bit of swearing but not every f***ckin' sentence.
2. Everybody calling each other "chef".
3. Camera in everybody's face - I suppose claustrophobic was the feel they were going for but I didn't like it.

It's obviously got something as many are raving about it, but not me.
Not watched it yet but on the 3 things as chef for the last 28 years

1)kitchens are very sweary, though not for the sake of it
2) only the head chef is ever called chef any junior chef trying to use it would be laughed at
3) if a claustrophobic effect is to minic a kitchen, Cooks work in sections and normally have space to work, the stress and pressure of a busy kitchen is never claustrophobic in my experience and if any one is in your face they told to fuck of out of it.

Always worry on Kitchen dramas as they tend badly exagerate the reality, and the last I watched Boiling Point with Stephen Graham was so bad and shite I am put off watching this.

Saying that never worked in the US so may be different there

2) only the head chef is ever called chef any junior chef trying to use it would be laughed at
3) if a claustrophobic effect is to minic a kitchen, Cooks work in sections and normally have space to work, the stress and pressure of a busy kitchen is never claustrophobic in my experience and if any one is in your face they told to fuck of out of it.

Always worry on Kitchen dramas as they tend badly exagerate the reality, and the last I watched Boiling Point with Stephen Graham was so bad and shite I am put off watching this.

For context, its not a proper restaurant, its a greasy spoon for all purposes and the real 'chef' is trying to incorporate a bit of professionalism and mutual respect in to the kitchen as its a shit show with bickering etc.. Obviously some artistic license cos its a fictional drama

I loved Boiling Point and I really liked this, each to their own I suppose.
But in fairness I’ve never worked in a kitchen.

For context, its not a proper restaurant, its a greasy spoon for all purposes and the real 'chef' is trying to incorporate a bit of professionalism and mutual respect in to the kitchen as its a shit show with bickering etc.. Obviously some artistic license cos its a fictional drama
For my context (though not really relevent) I have worked in a greasy spoon style diner, golf club, bar, pub, bistro, chippy, fast food joint, banqueting, restraunt, hotel(s), industrial catering and education.

Most sweary, bickering place was with the dinner ladies ;-)

Last edited:
A note on the Bear, The bloke that plays a bit part, is covered in tats and always fixing machines and stuff is a real chef from Toronto called Matty Matheson.
He used to have a t.v show over on Vice (I think).

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.