TV Series

Mentioned this a couple of weeks ago but I've finally got round to watching the 'new' Twin Peaks series.
Was a huge fan of the original at the time and until I started watching this again I'd forgotten how much if an effect it had on me.

Also thought I may have a different opinion of David Lynch's work these days (film & tv has so many influences and facsimiles of the pioneers work it' almost like everything has been done to death).

But, I'm finding so much enjoyment from it. It's great being back in that world and this is what happens when you give David Lynch carte blanche to do whatever the fuck he wants.

Not as polished (purposely) as some of my other favourite shows (Mad Men, Sopranos) but it's so entertaining and I've discovered I haven't grown out of the 'weird' after all.

Anyone else a fan?
Definitely. I put off seeing it as I thought that it might not be all that good. Plus, Season 2 of the original series sort of petered out, so I never watched it until the end.

In the end, I got half way through Season 3 and then decided to watch the whole series again, starting from Season 1 episode 1. This was during lockdown so it gave me something to do.

Even imported the Criterion DVD of Fire Walk With Me, which actually helps with the comprehension of some of the final episodes of Season 3.

Have since gone back and watched Lost Highway, Mulholland Drive and Inland Empire. Wasn’t that keen on Mulholland but actually enjoyed Inland more than I thought I would.

Reading your post, I remembered that when I started out in teaching, the first school assembly I gave (for the older pupils) was on Twin Peaks, as back then it was being shown on BBC 2. The talk was all about how Agent Cooper was deploying shamanic techniques to find out who killed Laura Palmer.

It went down well as the series was very popular with Year 10 and quite a few of the staff at the time.

Blue Velvet is my favourite Lynch movie, though. I just love the perversity and humour of it, especially the Oedipal thing going on between Frank, Dorothy and Jeffrey. It’s scary too. The only complete nutter I have had the misfortune to meet in real life was like Frank. A few of us were stuck in a room with him and it was a case of trying to placate the guy, which was difficult as someone like that is completely unpredictable. So you just don’t know what might make them kick off.

Also, used to own a T-Shirt with Frank wearing his mask adorned with the famous line ‘Don’t You Fucking Look at Me’.

And I once worked with the wife of a New Zealand cricketer. I think he was in the international squad as a bowler but wasn’t quite good enough to make the side in the Test matches. You would think I would remember his name but I don’t. I do remember him doing a Frank Booth impression down the office phone when I answered it, though.

I’ll finish with a recommendation: Severance. It’s not like Lynch but is utterly unique and infused with surreality blended with a compelling story.

Definitely. I put off seeing it as I thought that it might not be all that good. Plus, Season 2 of the original series sort of petered out, so I never watched it until the end.

In the end, I got half way through Season 3 and then decided to watch the whole series again, starting from Season 1 episode 1. This was during lockdown so it gave me something to do.

Even imported the Criterion DVD of Fire Walk With Me, which actually helps with the comprehension of some of the final episodes of Season 3.

Have since gone back and watched Lost Highway, Mulholland Drive and Inland Empire. Wasn’t that keen on Mulholland but actually enjoyed Inland more than I thought I would.

Reading your post, I remembered that when I started out in teaching, the first school assembly I gave (for the older pupils) was on Twin Peaks, as back then it was being shown on BBC 2. The talk was all about how Agent Cooper was deploying shamanic techniques to find out who killed Laura Palmer.

It went down well as the series was very popular with Year 10 and quite a few of the staff at the time.

Blue Velvet is my favourite Lynch movie, though. I just love the perversity and humour of it, especially the Oedipal thing going on between Frank, Dorothy and Jeffrey. It’s scary too. The only complete nutter I have had the misfortune to meet in real life was like Frank. A few of us were stuck in a room with him and it was a case of trying to placate the guy, which was difficult as someone like that is completely unpredictable. So you just don’t know what might make them kick off.

Also, used to own a T-Shirt with Frank wearing his mask adorned with the famous line ‘Don’t You Fucking Look at Me’.

And I once worked with the wife of a New Zealand cricketer. I think he was in the international squad as a bowler but wasn’t quite good enough to make the side in the Test matches. You would think I would remember his name but I don’t. I do remember him doing a Frank Booth impression down the office phone when I answered it, though.

I’ll finish with a recommendation: Severance. It’s not like Lynch but is utterly unique and infused with surreality blended with a compelling story.
Absolutely.
Nice reading that.

Definitely a time travel moment when I landed back in Twin Peaks.
I left home at 17 and went to live with a lodger (in Wythenshawe/Peel Hall area). She was a huge city fan.
I'd come down in the evening and I'd watch this as her husband was off to play snooker.

She'd watch a few with me but I got the impression she was thinking....wtf is this.
Sometimes a relief when she went to bed early and I didn't feel so bad putting her through it.

Blue Velvet is perhaps my favourite David Lynch film too. Married the film making of something like the Elephant Man with his darker view of the world.
It's been a while since I've watched this films tbf. I do recall enjoying Mulholland Drive, but that was the last time I'd seen David Lynches stuff. I think as his (and others) work/style has been used my so many film makers, I was perhaps thinking it wouldn't be as interesting or that I may have grown out of 'weird'.

But Twin Peaks Season 3 has been so enjoyable (and sometimes frustrating) and I'm glad I'm rediscovering.
Lynch does a lot with transcendental mediation doesn't he?

Severance - I've been told by many to get into this.
It's on Apple TV which I can't justify....but, I've recently upgraded my phone so have an offer of taking it up for 3 months (cautious of being burnt with free trials....or forgetting to cancel) but I may do this purely for Severance.

I have Andor on my list of things to watch but I understand that it’s one of a number of star wars related series (the Mandalorian being one of them?).
Anyhow, if anyone knows what they all are and the preferred order to watch them and any related historically released movies in then I’ll be grateful for some advice.
Thanks.

The trouble with 'Andor' is that it's been greenlit for a second series.

So, you can watch the film "Rogue One" and treat 'Andor' as a flashback or wait and watch them 'in order'.

It's hard to say when there's another series to come.

As for 'The Mandalorian', well, it's not really related as it's much further along the timeline, I'm pretty sure.

Started watching Dark Winds, set in the 70's about Navajo police, it goes into the life of the Navajo and the resentment that is still felt. Produced by Robert Redford so has some high profile personnel behind it. Not seen it all yet but the first few episodes are good. Worth a watch

But Twin Peaks Season 3 has been so enjoyable (and sometimes frustrating) and I'm glad I'm rediscovering.
Lynch does a lot with transcendental mediation doesn't he?

Severance - I've been told by many to get into this.
It's on Apple TV which I can't justify....but, I've recently upgraded my phone so have an offer of taking it up for 3 months (cautious of being burnt with free trials....or forgetting to cancel) but I may do this purely for Severance.
Lynch's promotion of TM is actually quite controversial.

Just been reading about this in Ronald Purser's excellent book McMindfulness: How Mindfulness Became The New Capitalist Spirituality.

Purser states that Lynch has been an 'avid TM proselytizer since 1973' and makes use of high powered lawyers and 'cease and desist' letters when questions get asked about TM's Quiet Time school program.

With Severance, if you do go for it, for me it didn't start to impact until the second episode. It does require a bit of patience before its delights start to register.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.