TV Series

Although I enjoyed the Americans, it falls way short of the two you mentioned; the wire is a masterpiece of reporting the social ills that exist (even to this day) and the sopranos is a melting pot of dark humour, coupled with supreme portrayals of sociopaths; each to their own though pal!
The Americans was an austere show that ended each episode with heartbreak. Being about spies, it could have been cartoon-y. Indeed, the first few eps were a tad cartoon-y. But it became a thrilling and moving series about family and human intimacy. Some great shows, like The Wire and The Sopranos, were about power, about what it means to be in control. The Americans was about loss of control, about what happens when the one thing you should never do as a spy (permit intimacy), becomes unavoidable and tragic. The Americans' bleakness was what made it simultaneously a must-watch and a hard sell. I still think about it often.

The Americans was an austere show that ended each episode with heartbreak. Being about spies, it could have been cartoon-y. Indeed, the first few eps were a tad cartoon-y. But it became a thrilling and moving series about family and human intimacy. Some great shows, like The Wire and The Sopranos, were about power, about what it means to be in control. The Americans was about loss of control, about what happens when the one thing you should never do as a spy (permit intimacy), becomes unavoidable and tragic. The Americans' bleakness was what made it simultaneously a must-watch and a hard sell. I still think about it often.

That’s spun my head a bit because I thought the soprano’s was essentially about being ‘powerless‘.

I didn’t think that it took much to scratch through the gangster veneer and see that Tony Soprano had genuine misgivings about a number of issues that came up regularly throughout the various series, not least the killing of old friends, but that he couldn’t do anything other than behave as mob bosses did (mercilessly) because if he looked weak then he’d lose both his position and his life.
I thought it pretty clear that he had PTSD big time and hence he was seeing the therapist.
IMO he was a man who had no way out, he had a tiger by the tail and he couldn’t let go.

Or maybe more accurate to say that he had a grip on something very powerful but was powerless because of it.

PS. And that’s not any disrespect to yourself, we can all make different interpretations.

Last edited:
Gangs Of London,s1.
Tried first 3 episodes,utter bonk.
It's like they've tried to put Gomorrah,The Krays and Power all in one.
Exactly the same position as you. Got to end of ep 3 and was still waiting to see something, anything, that I'd not seen before.
The "gangsters" are unconvincing, there's the tired old "strong willed mother" clique that we see in every show/ film of this genre, and there's no subplots to speak of.
It's quite well filmed, if you like moody cityscapes filmed from high rise offices, and semi derelict slum scenes, but it seems to me they're trying too hard to make it seem real and edgy, when they didn't really need to. I haven't engaged with a single character yet.
I'll plod on a bit, but it's wearing thin.
Expected better

The acid bath scene nearly put me off. I started to watch only last year after it did so well in the TV shows poll, and after the first couple of episodes I thought the makers were going for obvious shock/horror/loud-mouth character cliche. However, it settled down after this and I now rate BB and BCS as two of the finest TV shows I've ever seen.

Agree with this, almost binned it at that particular point. I get it hot some hooked for the sheer insanity of the scene/situation, but once toned out the cheap tricks, it became so much better.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.