TV Series

No it isn't. Jackson's adaption undoubtedly took liberties, but as someone who's a Tolkien fanboy, Rings of Power is an embarrassment.

The rights issue is a convenient excuse and would be a valid argument if they hadn't completely butchered canon that they do have rights to.

A few quick examples:

Gandalf SHOULD NOT be in Middle Earth at this point.

They've completely changed most of what Tolkien wrote about Numenor.

Galadriel and Celeborn's relationship.

Last but not least, they've decided to completely change the timeline of when, who and how the Rings of Power were forged.
Gandalf had many forms and many names and nowhere does tolkien state that the Istari were not present during this period and RoP has not yet said that the stranger is gandalf, only fan theories he may even not be istari as they arrived on ships not meteors he could be something else

Celeborns story has slightly altered but in two sepearate books tolkien had different accounts of their time together in this period, one where they are briefly seperted and one where they are together, so the deviation where they are presently seperated will only be an issue if he does not appear later down the line and their daughter.

Only the elven rings have been forged, with saurons help, now discovered there is no reason as per the books he will not return disguised as Annatar and finish forging the rest, so a minor deviation not a complete change.

Numenor I will agree it has deviated and galadriel never visited as far as is known/written

Jackson throwing out 6 whole chapters and then ignoring the scouring of the shire, which was an important part of the ending with actual meaning is a lot worse than a few minor changes in RoP that down the line will more likely be readjusted.

Post the hobbit Tolkien was sketchy on the history of middle earth and contradicts himself in diferent books so the writers can add charactors and slightly deviate, LotR was a complete book and Jackson rewrote it to suit.

Last edited:
Gandalf had many forms and many names and nowhere does tolkien state that the Istari were not present during this period and RoP has not yet said that the stranger is gandalf, only fan theories he may even not be istari as they arrived on ships not meteors he could be something else

Celeborns story has slightly altered but in two sepearate books tolkien had different accounts of their time together in this period, onenwhere they are broefly seperted and one where tgey are together, so the deviation where they are presently seperated will only be an issue if he does not appear later down the line and their daughter.

Only the elven rings have been forged, with saurons help, now discovered there is no reason as per tge books he will not return disquised as Annatar and finish forging the rest, so a monor deviation not a complete change.

Numenor I will agree it has deviated and galadriel never viaited as far as is known/written

Jackson throwing out 6 whole chapters and then ignoring the scouring of the shire, which was an important part of the ending with actual meaning is a lot worse than a few minor changes in RoP that down the line will more likely be readjusted.

Post the hobbit Tolkien was sketchy on the history of middle earth and contradicts himself in diferent books so the writers can add charactors and slightly deviate, LotR was a complete book and Jackson rewrote it to suit.
This bit I certainly agree with. I didn't mind a lot of the changes (Elves at Helms Deep, for example, worked for dramatic purposes), but, yes, not including the scouring of the Shire was a very odd choice.

From reading the Kaleidoscope thread on here and various bits on t'internet, the general consensus from those that have completed it are:

1. Yellow
2. Green
3. Blue
4. Orange
5. Violet
6. Red
7. Pink
8. White

Unless told otherwise, that's how I am planning to view the episodes.
Followed your recommendation, wish I hadn’t ;-(

Just finished the final episode of the final season of Man in the High Castle.
I never binge watch, especially if I really appreciate a series. I spaced the four seasons out over about two months, rationing myself so as to let each development sink in: watching one episode a night, sometimes skipping nights, rarely cheating by watching two episodes in a row. I'm afraid I was so enthralled that I watched the last three episodes together last night. Mini-binge.
One of the most deeply satisfying series that I've seen. The acting is uniformly excellent, with the two main characters, Juliana Crain and John Smith evolving through major changes over the four seasons (must have been very satisfying to do for the two actors). All other actors were good, with plenty of meaty roles. Special mention for Inspector Kido and the actor who played him, Joel de la Fuente. A couple of one-dimensional characters who didn't bring a lot to the series, frankly, but not too many.
If you're going to do a historical series, that is, a series about what actually happened, it's got to be done right. The sets have got to be good, the screenplay's got to be very solid to be convincing that what you're looking at is a past that actually happened. But if you're doing an alternative history, you're upping the ante, and it's got to be more than good. Because you've got to take the details of real history and put them into another setting that they never appeared in, and make it utterly plausible. I found the Man in the High Castle was a total triumph on that count. It was chillingly plausible.
The filming of this series was astonishingly good. I mean, it's simply really good to look at. The camerawork is excellent, and by heaven CGI has come on by leaps and bounds even in the last ten years.
Everybody's got their favourite series, ones that they'll defend almost irrationally to the death. On the recommendations of other people and the world in general, I've watched entire seasons of series that have left me cold. So as to not get into controversy here, I won't say what they are. I'll get a load of posts back saying, “You are an idiot, open your eyes”. And that's merely boring, and not the point.
For anyone who's interested in the history of the twentieth century; for anyone who's interested in science fiction that thinks (and makes you think); for anyone who's interested in the question, “What exactly would I have done under a totalitarian regime? Would I have collaborated? Would I have been in the resistance? Would I in fact have simply kept my head down, while waiting for this to pass?” And for anyone who's interested in a series that presents all that as really good entertainment — highly recommended.

Last edited:
Just started watching Our House from March last year. Enjoyed the 1st episode. However, there was a scene set 10 years ago in which there was a car chase/accident and everyone was driving 2021 registration vehicles.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.