Two minors suspended by club for offensive chanting at Brighton game | 17 year old charged by GMP (p29)

As a junior FOC I've sung allsorts at games over the years some I'm not proud of but it was all 'of the time'.

These kids singing yesterday will only really know Charlton as someone associated via the backroom with the rags and if anything should be a shoulder shrug moment to them.

We've been singing the "jelly and ice cream" song for years. Thousands of impressionable young blues will have heard thousands of older blues singing that song, thousands of times. They will have heard dad's sing it, mum's sing it, brothers, peers, uncle Tom Cobley and all sing it. Drummed into them from an early age, accepted as harmless "bants" without any thought as to the inevitability of it happening.

So, we have a problem here Blues.

If we're calling out and reporting fellow Blues over a couple of misguided Charlton chants, God only knows what will happen when the GPC finally moves on. We'll have more banning orders than SC holders.

We'll have a 1000 page thread with Blue on Blue rows, hand-wringing off the scale, 18-25 group blame, ban hammers, a general shitshow. Older Blues ashamed by the chant, despite the fact they've probably all sang it on every away concourse across the land, as I have..on many an occasion.

There will be totally justified grief across in Trafford, but the grief amongst us Blues will be just as unpleasant.

So, I have a simple question. The next time you hear the "jelly and ice cream" song will you join in?
We were talking about this around the tea table believe it or not. When he dies, much as I don’t want to sing songs about it, do we all have to pretend he was a nice person? He’s a bully. I’m not going to forget the banner, noisy neighbours, not in my life time, and the general arrogance that he showed to us.

We were talking about this around the tea table believe it or not. When he dies, much as I don’t want to sing songs about it, do we all have to pretend he was a nice person? He’s a bully. I’m not going to forget the banner, noisy neighbours, not in my life time, and the general arrogance that he showed to us.
It’s football you fucking nob head.

Sometimes it's best to just say nothing, I've tried to navigate around the news & media since Saturday but, you'd think Charlton was a saint from the glowing coverage of him.....as I said best to say nowt at times to remain dignified.

I'm hoping when baconface pops off I'm abroad personally.

I have already decided I will not take my seat until the game kicks off.

We've been singing the "jelly and ice cream" song for years. Thousands of impressionable young blues will have heard thousands of older blues singing that song, thousands of times. They will have heard dad's sing it, mum's sing it, brothers, peers, uncle Tom Cobley and all sing it. Drummed into them from an early age, accepted as harmless "bants" without any thought as to the inevitability of it happening.

I've always looked at that song as a backhanded compliment towards to the old ****.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.