Txiki Begiristain...

LoveCity said:
I second the Guardiola doubters, he was born into the Barcelona footballing culture which goes from 8-year-old kids all the way up to the manager. Tito Vilanova is now in charge of Barcelona and has them 8pts ahead of Madrid and unbeaten, this is his first managerial job too, he also understands the Barca system through and through. I'm not saying Guardiola might not be a huge success, I'd just like to see him manage someone like Milan and see how he does.

Mancini is going nowhere fast anyway and for me that is good news. He deserves a LOT of goodwill IMO for what he has brought us in the last 1 1/2 years and a couple of shocking European exits are not even nearly enough to counteract him winning the FA Cup, Premier League, and 6-1 achievement.

On-topic, Begiristain will be a great appointment. Everyone has wanted him with Spurs pushing hard lately after Chelsea had, but looks like the Soriano effect has made the difference.
I agree with all of that.

I don't think we've finished establishing ourselves as a top club domestically yet (we've finished in the top three a whole twice!). The Champions League improvements will come in time, so I don't let anything that happens in that competition affect my views on Roberto yet. From taking us from a team who sat back and only scored 68 goals, to a team who went and won the league scoring freely, yet we hardly ever won away at mid table clubs - and that's improving this season.

I can see that Roberto was frustrated this Summer with Marwood. I think the club have actively seeked to do something about that. I think that is what this appointment is about, not about Guardiola, but to back Roberto further.

Forgive me but can somebody point me in the direction where Mansour has ever said he covets the Champions League trophy more than any other. Now i'm sure that ultimately he will want to win this as does every City supporter but right here right now at the present time we have achieved all our main goals. Attracting quality footballers, reaching the top 4, winning our first trophy, winning the league (probably ahead of schedule) and now we need to show that wasn't a one off and do it again. The Champions League will take care of itself and will come when the team has progressed even more. All this talk today of replacing Mancini should be nothing more than a knee jerk reaction.

BillyShears said:
I see another Daily Star exclusive has got everyone reaching for the "Sack Marwood" button.

If Begiristain comes in then Mancini will be gone within months I reckon. Roberto has been looking for more power behind the scenes and the appointment of Soriana and Begiristain would diminish his power base significantly.

I'm not convinced that Pep would come although it's not impossible. I just really hope that Jurgen Klopp is on the club's radar. He's the man.

I'm also in the not convinced about Pep camp. He obviously has a lot of silver wear behind him at Barca, and despite what people say he was still very influential in that side (he didn't just inherit a load of good players and did a 'Arry Redknapp with them), however I just get the feeling Klopp could do more with a more disjointed set of circumstances, unlike the well oiled machine that is Barcelona. Regardless if Klopp has said he'd never leave Germany then..

If we do get Pep in, with Soriano, Txixixixix, the academy etc, we HAVE to give that set up time. I'm amazed how many are calling for Mancini's head after last night and frankly if you thought we had teething problems now just wait till we've got a man with no experience managing another big club trying to integrate potentially bad academy prospects whilst trying to meet FFP. It could be marvellous eventually, but it would have to be seen through.

At the moment it's all 'Mancini is poor in Europe'. As soon as Pep has a couple of shaky games? 'Never thought he could do it outside of Barca'. Words change, meaning stays the same. The only person you could get in without such questions is Mourinho, and that would only take a few years before people are asking if he can use academy kids, or if he has to spend hundreds of millions to rebuild the team fully every few seasons, if he even can at all, or if he siege mentality only lasts a couple of seasons, etc. The grass isn't always greener.

I'm backing Bobby - always have done and always will do.

I don't play computer games like Football Manager, or whatever - I prefer the real world.

Roberto has done more for City than I could ever have imagined in such a short space of time and he gets my 100% backing - now and also going forward.

That is my opinion and I respect the fact that others may feel differently.

JoeMercer'sWay said:
I'm not going to hang Mancini out to dry because 2bh the board have to shoulder a lot of the blame for not backing him in the summer.

Sort out the backroom that failed in the summer, sort out the scouts and have a good january window and try and retain the league.

A man who knows the score.

Not a big Mancini fan. Was not impressed with his approach in Europe last season - no tactics. And not impressed with the way he almost sacrificed Tevez last season after he lost the plot in Munich. But I wouldn't change unless the wheels fall off in the League.

Not a fan of Guardiola either. he was part of the family at Barcelona and had been there as a player and come through the ranks. Very different to going to another club who don't have the same style or players. He might be totally out of his comfort zone. Anyone who appoints him is taking a big risk.

Marvin said:
Not a big Mancini fan. Was not impressed with his approach in Europe last season - no tactics. And not impressed with the way he almost sacrificed Tevez last season after he lost the plot in Munich. But I wouldn't change unless the wheels fall off in the League.

Not a fan of Guardiola either. he was part of the family at Barcelona and had been there as a player and come through the ranks. Very different to going to another club who don't have the same style or players. He might be totally out of his comfort zone. Anyone who appoints him is taking a big risk.

Agreed. Jose or Klopp would be safer bets imo.

bluebrickroad said:
I'm backing Bobby - always have done and always will do.

You always will do? I can't understand that because, for arguments sake, he could take us to a 9th place finish this season and you'd still be singing his name at the top of your voice. You've got to give praise where praise is due and criticism where criticism is due. He well and truly fucked up last night and it's almost an insult to how hard we worked to get Champions League in the first place.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.