UB40

Decent band back in the day, King and The Earth Dies Screaming were top singles. Recently saw a good BBC4 documentary on band and the two post split factions are still doing the rounds, both laying claim and playing the original songs: those original band members minus Ali Campbell as UB40; those including AC as UB40 with Ali Campbell.

Probably the reason for the split right there.

King is their best ever for me. Loved it at the time and still do. Hard to deny they lost their edge though.

Once had a beer with a white Barbadian who had a hugely strong Caribbean accent, which was a bit odd but totally genuine.
Long story,but me and the ex went on a day cruise in Barbados with a load of the same white Barbadians.
You are so right about their accent seeming so weird with them being white....they did explain how it came about,but we got that hammered i cant remember.

I wonder how much of their early stuff they do live [either version]
Or is it just a greatest hits set. According to the BBC4 documentary they should all be seriously wealthy. Massive record sales but cash disappeared.
They really had it in their early years.

Fucking class !.....reminds me of the best years of City aways for some reason.

The first 2 albums are very good and they were very well respected by their peers in that genre of music. Like The Specials were also multi cultural and also had Asian guys in the band. The documentary is really good and if I remember the Campbell's older brother was originally going to be the singer but it never happened until the band split into 2 then he joined the Robin Campbell version

They were fantastic live. Growing up in Hulme in the early 80’s they were popular with my mates, both black and white.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.