UB40

In 1980 I went to see the Pretenders who were playing Keele university where I was a student. Didn't particularly like them but Chrissy Hind was quite fit. Anyway, the support band were fantastic and were getting so many encores they virtually had to be dragged off the stage to let the main band play. Very soon after, Ivory Madonna hit the charts and UB40 started headlining their own tour.

I don't know whether it was coincidence because they were relatively local or as a result of the reception when they supported the Pretenders, but they used the stage in the student's union to rehearse for the forthcoming tour so, every day, we would go in for a pint and a burger and watch them play for nothing. They were great live.

Long story,but me and the ex went on a day cruise in Barbados with a load of the same white Barbadians.
You are so right about their accent seeming so weird with them being white....they did explain how it came about,but we got that hammered i cant remember.
Tony Cozier, cricket commentator with the melifluous Bajan accent: wasnt he white?

There was a case recently where a white barbadian was accused, by the usual woke british busibodies, of cultural appropriation for speaking in his normal bajan accent.

Last edited:
Interviewed them in the Caribbean back in the early 2000s. Never drank so much alcohol or took so many drugs in a 72-hour period. They were filth (and top lads despite their Brum accents).

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.