UEFA Champions League changes

UEFA want to run all european football and get more TV revenue into their coffers. There are 55 associations in EUFA, one of whom (Liechtenstein) does not have a league so does not take part in the competition. Also Russia is currently excluded (Belorus should be) so 53 associations with a vote. The vast majority of those only get one team into the qualifying rounds, so if they have a chance of getting another of cause they will vote for the new proposal.

The four groups of 9 teams based on co-efficient will be designated A, B, C & D. A team in group A will play 2 teams from groups A & D and 3 teams from groups B & C. How the draw will work is going to be a logistical nightmare especially if you can not play a team from your own association in those 10 matches.

At the end of the day it is a shit competition with the daftest name.

P.S. There will be 77 teams taking part in next years version. This is spread over Preliminary, 1st, 2nd & 3rd Qualifying and Play Off stages before you even get to the group matches. God knows how many teams will be involved in the new proposed version.

My understanding is that the extra place(s) come in the 24/25 season, based on performances in European competition in the preceding season 23/24, which means the extra place (outside of the top 4) is only available to teams that
a) qualify for Europe 23/24 , ie do well in the PL next season
b) do well in Europe 23/24
Looks like it isn't the team that gets the extra place but the league.
If PL has more teams in later stages in 23/24, say 3 of 8 QF and then 2 of 4 SF it's the FA/PL that gets a fifth spot to give to 5th place finishers or whatever rule they invent to make sure United qualify.

“Each club will play eight league stage games against different opponents, with four home ties and four away.

The top eight will go through to the knockout stage, while those from ninth to 24th will compete in a two-legged play-off to progress.”

Who picks those 8 opponents, and how?

Could we get Real Madrid, Barca, Ajax, Bayern, Juve, Liverpool, PSG in our “League Stage”???

The levels and ability for corruption are become more and more frequent…and that’s even before you pick the refs!!!
My understanding is that teams will be put into "pots" as they are currently and each team will play 2 teams from each pot. So we'll be in Pot 1 and will play two other teams from that pot, two from Pot 2 etc. I assume the usual rules about not playing a team from your own association will apply.

So, how many extra games is this and where are they planning on fitting them in? Are they expecting the PL to cut the number of members?
8 games against 6 in the current group stages, plus potentially another 2 if you finish in the 9th to 24th spots, then the usual 7 up to and including the final. That's a maximum of 17 against 13 currently. I strongly suspect PL teams in the CL won't be playing in the League Cup.

UEFA set to make major Champions League rule change after Man City & Liverpool thrillers (msn.com)

Proposed (confirmed?) changes make my blood boil. It's already a way-overrated competition which has little interest until the qtrs, and now to reach last 16 they want to have 10 games (instead of 6) to qualify for last 16 (if you finish in top 8), or 12 games for the next 16 clubs in a single league. An absolute bloody farce.

And then, when it gets to the business end of things, after all those unnecessary no-interest games, they want to do away with two-leg semis and have a one-legged much-more-of-a-lottery single leg semi, in a neutral location, to be quickly followed by the final at same location (like Portugal in lockdown). So, let's have loads of irrelevant games to reach the key stage, then fuck-it, get it finished asap, with fewer fans being able to attend and, oh yes, four sets of fans in the same city. That's gonna work well.

Fucking MORONS!

It's all about money for them, this format aims to maximize profits rather than quality or entertainment, i don't mind the one legged quarter or semis but to get there worldcup or euro format would be much better rather than having lots of meaningless games.

My understanding is that teams will be put into "pots" as they are currently and each team will play 2 teams from each pot. So we'll be in Pot 1 and will play two other teams from that pot, two from Pot 2 etc. I assume the usual rules about not playing a team from your own association will apply.

8 games against 6 in the current group stages, plus potentially another 2 if you finish in the 9th to 24th spots, then the usual 7 up to and including the final. That's a maximum of 17 against 13 currently. I strongly suspect PL teams in the CL won't be playing in the League Cup.
I think the usual rule on not playing teams from the same country will apply, as you stated, but will be done away with in the round of 16, which doesn’t happen now.

It's all about money for them, this format aims to maximize profits rather than quality or entertainment, i don't mind the one legged quarter or semis but to get there worldcup or euro format would be much better rather than having lots of meaningless games.

Not sure who really benefits here as more clubs getting in just means more shit clubs and shit games. The big money must be in the big games which right now are the 2 leggs in the qtrs and semis. If you make those single games then you get less of the big teams playing each other. I would think 1 game of that significance is worth 10 shit games in terms of revenue.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.