UEFA Champions League changes

But the Champs League fucks up individual leagues in the various countries. Ignoring the war in Ukraine, Shaktar Donetsk qualified every year. They were never going to win it but the money they made allowed the to dominate the Ukrainian league. That's not right. We were great, went shit and are now great again but as I see what football has become under Sky, the Premier League and separately uefa, I realise I am losing interest.
I get your broader point but Shaktar got huge investment from the richest businessman in Ukraine before the war. The CL money was peanuts in comparison. The important thing is that individual domestic leagues ensure that there is a proper structure in place so that money cascades down. There will always be rich clubs in the biggest leagues. I hate the current set up with the UEFA crooks in charge. There has to be a better system.

There is no reason why a properly and fairly run super Euro league (not like the one proposed) can't provide even more financial support for clubs in smaller leagues. At the moment the dice are stacked in favour of EUFA. Celtic could benefit hugely from a situation where they got the lions' share of broadcast income from their matches being televised across Europe. The Celtic fanabase is big and could provide huge revenues from a Digtial pay-per-view model. At present they just get crumbs from the crooks at UEFA. Digital streaming has changed the world and the clubs don't need the middle men to cream off all the money.
I am not stupid enough to trust the Glazers of this world but, with the correct safeguards for fans in place (perhaps subsidised tickets for matchgoers), a breakway league could be great for clubs like Celtic.
But the Champs League fucks up individual leagues in the various countries. Ignoring the war in Ukraine, Shaktar Donetsk qualified every year. They were never going to win it but the money they made allowed the to dominate the Ukrainian league. That's not right. We were great, went shit and are now great again but as I see what football has become under Sky, the Premier League and separately uefa, I realise I am losing interest.
I am not saying I trust EUFA or think the CL is perfect or couldn’t be better. I just know we need it, not just for the cash, we’ll really it’s mostly the cash, but that cash helps us improve if used correctly. Now I know our board are cunts and useless, but I think now they have learned that complacency is not on. I just love the CL games at home and away. I think we will put up a better show this year, might not, might be fucking leathered, but I live in hope. I just think it gives us access to what is for you a left leg of a player, but to us it’s vital. Not defending the corruption of those cunts in Zurich by any means

I am not saying I trust EUFA or think the CL is perfect or couldn’t be better. I just know we need it, not just for the cash, we’ll really it’s mostly the cash, but that cash helps us improve if used correctly. Now I know our board are cunts and useless, but I think now they have learned that complacency is not on. I just love the CL games at home and away. I think we will put up a better show this year, might not, might be fucking leathered, but I live in hope. I just think it gives us access to what is for you a left leg of a player, but to us it’s vital. Not defending the corruption of those cunts in Zurich by any means
I can understand why Celtic fans love European football but it doesn't have to be run by UEFA who cream off most of the broadcast and sponsorship money and rip off the fans when the final is held. For example this year Rangers got about £3m for being runners up in the Europa League. If Rangers and Frankfurt managed their own broadcasting rights (or at least got a bigger share of a club-owned competition) they could have shared at least £100m from streaming that match. Like Celtic, they both have huge fanbases who would have paid £10 to watch it on TV. Wouldn't it be better to pay the club you support rather than the twats at BT Sport? It is just a thought but I believe football needs to modernise. A new competition could be a game-changer for clubs with huge fanbases like Celtic, Rangers, Schalke, Frankfurt, Benfica, Ajax etc etc etc. At present they have virtually no chance to compete.

I can understand why Celtic fans love European football but it doesn't have to be run by UEFA who cream off most of the broadcast and sponsorship money and rip off the fans when the final is held. For example this year Rangers got about £3m for being runners up in the Europa League. If Rangers and Frankfurt managed their own broadcasting rights (or at least got a bigger share of a club-owned competition) they could have shared at least £100m from streaming that match. Like Celtic, they both have huge fanbases who would have paid £10 to watch it on TV. Wouldn't it be better to pay the club you support rather than the twats at BT Sport? It is just a thought but I believe football needs to modernise. A new competition could be a game-changer for clubs with huge fanbases like Celtic, Rangers, Schalke, Frankfurt, Benfica, Ajax etc etc etc. At present they have virtually no chance to compete.
Cannot argue with that.

Cannot argue with that.
Also a rule should be brought in that some of the broadcast payments have to be ringfenced (perhaps as high as 10 per cent) and the money shared by clubs in the domestic leagues. This would be great for Scottish football long-term. It would improve competition which would also drive up standards for the bigger clubs like Celtic and Rangers and even Hearts and Hibs.
The downside is it will make the very biggest clubs even richer. But they would have have more people snapping at their heels. It would be big boost to all those fallen giants in Italy like Roma and Napoli. I also think there is already a natural limit to the number of elite players available. The very top players have wider motivations than just purely money. The extra money could be used to reduce ticket prices for local fans. This has all been made possible by the new technology. Tyson Fury can make more on one fight than Celtic and Rangers combined over a season. That can't be right.

Also a rule should be brought in that some of the broadcast payments have to be ringfenced (perhaps as high as 10 per cent) and the money shared by clubs in the domestic leagues. This would be great for Scottish football long-term. It would improve competition which would also drive up standards for the bigger clubs like Celtic and Rangers and even Hearts and Hibs.
The downside is it will make the very biggest clubs even richer. But they would have have more people snapping at their heels. It would be big boost to all those fallen giants in Italy like Roma and Napoli. I also think there is already a natural limit to the number of elite players available. The very top players have wider motivations than just purely money. The extra money could be used to reduce ticket prices for local fans. This has all been made possible by the new technology. Tyson Fury can make more on one fight than Celtic and Rangers combined over a season. That can't be right.
Do we have an idea of the accounts of UEFA? How much they make, where they spend it? I am pretty neutral on UEFA and FIFA but I really know nothing about what they actually do, or with how much money.

Genuine question.

Do we have an idea of the accounts of UEFA? How much they make, where they spend it? I am pretty neutral on UEFA and FIFA but I really know nothing about what they actually do, or with how much money.

Genuine question.
We know that Platini who was UEFA boss for almost 10 years thinks it is normal to get £1m cash payments

Yes, you need to balance the draw of a few teams with the need of the many, of course. In 20/21 UEFA paid 1.1 billion euros into the national associations by way of "solidarity" payments, that's 20% of their income on top of the distributions to participating teams. I am not sure the teams who are the biggest draws in Europe would be so charitable if they made their own broadcast income. Not much history of philanthropy at Liverpool, United, Madrid and Barcelona.

I like the idea of central broadcast deals. They are much better at giving coverage to all teams and ensuring a fair distribution of the revenues.

Granted, the model can evolve with technology but giving the rich more doesn't seem much of a solution to me.

We know that Platini who was UEFA boss for almost 10 years thinks it is normal to get £1m cash payments

Not particularly bothered by that, tbh, a lot of money sloshes around the top levels of these companies and organisations, especially in Switzerland. I doubt an ESL would be very different. I can guarantee it would be based in Switzerland as well.

Anyway, if anyone is interested, I had a look at their 20/21 accounts.

5.7 billion income. 3.5 billion distributed to clubs and associations in their competitions, 1.1 billion "solidarity" payments to national associations. That leaves 1.1 billon, 650m spent on event costs, 120m on IT/communications, 210m on employee costs, and 130m others.

Governing costs (costs not allocated to a commercial activity) were 87m euros.

Yes, you need to balance the draw of a few teams with the need of the many, of course. In 20/21 UEFA paid 1.1 billion euros into the national associations by way of "solidarity" payments, that's 20% of their income on top of the distributions to participating teams. I am not sure the teams who are the biggest draws in Europe would be so charitable if they made their own broadcast income. Not much history of philanthropy at Liverpool, United, Madrid and Barcelona.

I like the idea of central broadcast deals. They are much better at giving coverage to all teams and ensuring a fair distribution of the revenues.

Granted, the model can evolve with technology but giving the rich more doesn't seem much of a solution to me.
Wow that’s some income for UEFA. You are right to be cynical about the top clubs. But they can increase their revenues hugely by cutting out UEFA, as much as five times the broadcast figures for example so they can afford it. They have to preserve the pryamid structure or they lose it all.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.