UEFA Independent Inquiry

I’d say “getting in successfully” may be a different figure to “tickets presented/found in possession of”, plus, doesn’t account for the ticketless jibbers either, so I’ll wait for something more concrete on that before I go crowing if I was them (oh imagine that !).

This did make me laugh though :-
“ I’ve read a number of stories of absolutely horrific experiences leaving the stadium as well – crimes being committed, muggings taking place. Nobody should experience what our fans experienced both before or after the match.”

Par for the course at Anfield back in the day, can’t imagine that much has changed, they should be more than desensitised to that type of thing by now anyway.
Easy to forget that only a few years ago the city team coach was attacked by Liverpool fans going into Anfield smashing windows and threatening the safety of players. They didn't arrest or identify a single person who attacked it and the whole thing was televised live, they don't like it when it's them eh?

Liverpool were fined £17k for that, we were fined £25k this year for being 30 seconds late onto the pitch against Sporting.

This is all down to basic mathematics.
The stadium is fairly full leading up to kick off , fans in the aisles and gangways etc, and their are thousands outside still trying to get in. The french have averted a major catastrophe here. It is awful for the fans with genuine tickets but at least they have all returned to their families alive.

Its distinctly possible that 3000 fakes out of 20000 tickets would cause chaos at the entry points.

Its easy to point fingers at staff and stewards etc but when the onus is on getting people through quickly it wouldn’t have been an easy situation to handle if more than 1 out of every 10 tickets failed to work.
At the end of the day they had 3 hours to get everyone in from when the turnstiles opened up until kick-off. Granted that eventually turned into 3 hours and 36 minutes but when you think about it that's not a lot of time if things start going wrong and the turnstiles shut down because some pricks are trying to scan in on fake tickets. Add in that not everyone with a fake getting refused entry is going to go away quietly and many will kick off about it, plus those with genuine tickets maybe not getting in because some fucker has scanned a fake of theirs in before them which in turn leads to those genuine ticket holders booting off (and in their case at least that's understandable), and suddenly the whole setup can go tits up.

Obviously I wasn't there so have no idea of why and how it all started to go wrong, but I'd be very interested to see a detailed timeline of events. Those thousands of Liverpool fans stuck on that road and in that tunnel for ages - was this because problems had started to occur at the turnstiles already due to many fake ticket holders getting in mega early as has been suggested on here by some?

Exactly. And those suggesting that 40,000 fake tickets is an exaggeration should ask themselves why organised criminals, in possession of the printing technology to reproduce the tickets, a huge demand (not least from people already committed to travel) and the ability to shift them on in a short period of time for cash, would limit themselves to a few thousand rather than produce as many as they could "on an industrial scale".
For those saying 40k is perfectly reasonable, how did someone set up and distribute tickets to something the size of a small festival or stadium sized concert without UEFA figuring it out. 10 people in Paris shifting 4k a day without their own extensive queues? It's not possible. Or City need to get these guys in the club to work the matchday ticket office.

For those saying 40k is perfectly reasonable, how did someone set up and distribute tickets to something the size of a small festival or stadium sized concert without UEFA figuring it out. 10 people in Paris shifting 4k a day without their own extensive queues? It's not possible. Or City need to get these guys in the club to work the matchday ticket office.
I don't think the French have said anywhere that there were 40,000 fakes. What they have said is 30,000-40,000 either with fakes or no tickets rocked up. Whatever the true figure, those shifting them wouldn't have shifted them all in Paris on the day of the game. Many would've changed hands before fans even travelled out there

That's like asking how drug dealers distribute kilos of cocaine. The producers, organised criminals, manufacture in bulk, sell to middle men who sell to those who sell on the streets. In fact, it's easier because it is less policed.

And this wasn't just in Paris, it was going on from the second the first ticket got copied which, I suspect, was the second the genuine tickets arrived in Liverpool.

I don't think the French have said anywhere that there were 40,000 fakes. What they have said is 30,000-40,000 either with fakes or no tickets rocked up. Whatever the true figure, those shifting them wouldn't have shifted them all in Paris on the day of the game. Many would've changed hands before fans even travelled out there
The post I was responding to claimed it was a reasonable assumption. I'm pointing out that handwaving "organized crime" for 40k fake tickets doesn't just require printing but vast distribution via post or collection. Dozens and hundreds of people advertising, posting, selling. It's not reasonable. Even if you believe the scousers are 100% to blame, unfairly imo, if you believe there were 40k fakes doing the rounds then you'll believe anything. Anyone who has worked in festivals and events will tell you it's a huge undertaking to get the tickets out into the world. There'd be mountains more evidence than the same two or three screenshots doing the rounds.

That's like asking how drug dealers distribute kilos of cocaine. The producers, organised criminals, manufacture in bulk, sell to middle men who sell to those who sell on the streets. In fact, it's easier because it is less policed.

And this wasn't just in Paris, it was going on from the second the first ticket got copied which, I suspect, was the second the genuine tickets arrived in Liverpool.
Drug dealers do it with years of networks and 100s and 1000s of people, many of whom are interrupted, arrested or murdered along the way with scores of evidence that it has happened.

Its distinctly possible that 3000 fakes out of 20000 tickets would cause chaos at the entry points.

Its easy to point fingers at staff and stewards etc but when the onus is on getting people through quickly it wouldn’t have been an easy situation to handle if more than 1 out of every 10 tickets failed to work.
It doesn't take a lot to cause chaos. It's like when you're on the motorway in a traffic jam for no obvious reason. A lot of the time it can be just 1 car breaking too hard that causes a butterfly effect. If a large number of the stalls are not letting people through due to fake tickets even for a brief period it would be mayhem.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.