UK far right trouble July/August 24

You can’t regulate Twitter and tik tok, Musk will just tell them to go fuck themselves, I honestly think switching it off for a week would help tremendously, what’s the worst that could happen, riots over tik tok!
Imagine if the Tories got in next time and decided that as part of social media regulation they were going to regulate hate speech and views on this forum. Would everybody be happy to sign up to that? I imagine not.

Social media is already regulated in the sense that you can be prosecuted for what you say on it, that should be enough. I don't see what further regulation gains except where people want to suppress views that they disagree with.

It's no different to walking into a pub and telling people that they can't talk to each other.

Imagine if the Tories got in next time and decided that as part of social media regulation they were going to regulate hate speech and views on this forum. Would everybody be happy to sign up to that? I imagine not.

Social media is already regulated in the sense that you can be prosecuted for what you say on it, that should be enough.

Hate speech wouldn't be a problem unless calling someone a **** is at issue. What do you mean by "views"?

So I take it you're not a fan then?

Look, you're only taking an interest in hating him because you can't stand his move into politics. I doubt you would of had this view say 5 years ago where if you weren't interested in space or cars then you probably wouldn't know who he is.

If it was that easy and he was just a total fraud then he must be the most successful fraud in history but I don't buy that. I certainly don't see how he's any different to Zuckerberg or any of the other billionaires who struck gold at the right time. Rather ironically most people on the left hate Branson because he was a Thatcherite. Meanwhile the right hate him because he was pro-EU. This sort of just shows how politics tortures and poisons people's minds and judgement.

Of course Musk benefits from the government but this is an incredibly naive and pointless argument. SpaceX and Tesla directly benefit from government funds but so what? Do you believe that Lockheed Martin, Boeing, Northrop Grumman, Raytheon, GM, Ford, Stellantis or Toyota don't benefit from government funds? These companies have bled the American taxpayer dry and who do you think they're donating to? And you think Musk is the problem....

I don't like where he's taking X or where he's going on politics but I've never met the guy and clearly never will so I can't take your path to hate somebody that I've never met. Meanwhile I'll watch on as the space industry and car industry flourishes because unlike politics that actually matters and it's also more interesting.
I decided Musk was a **** six years ago when he called the guy who rescued the kids from a flooded cave in Thailand a pedo because he wouldn’t use his shitty toy submarine to rescue them. That was when I first became aware of him, and everything he’s done since then has reinforced my opinion.

Hate speech wouldn't be a problem unless calling someone a **** is at issue. What do you mean by "views"?
But that's where it gets hazy because if you called somebody that in the street then they might take offense and report you. You could then get done so why should social media be any different?

Forums like this would be closed because of the amount of litigation and policing required then it would die a death eventually because nobody would say anything. Or maybe we'd all go to the football threads to talk football instead, just don't call anybody a **** obviously. :)

One of the dickheads arrested during the riots was charged with possession of a weapon because he was carrying a pole around. Fair enough. On the other hand though, an Asian lad was in clear view of Sky News cameras and police carrying a fucking sword around and nothing.

Its stuff like this that just fans the flames imo. A prick is a prick, doesn't matter what colour you are. The police need to stop being afraid to uphold the law because of "optics".

One of the dickheads arrested during the riots was charged with possession of a weapon because he was carrying a pole around. Fair enough. On the other hand though, an Asian lad was in clear view of Sky News cameras and police carrying a fucking sword around and nothing.

how do you know? police might be in the process of tracking him down as we speak.
will take their time but most of the thugs will get their comeuppance.

But that's where it gets hazy because if you called somebody that in the street then they might take offense and report you. You could then get done so why should social media be any different?

Forums like this would be closed because of the amount of litigation and policing required then it would die a death eventually because nobody would say anything. Or maybe we'd all go to the football threads to talk football instead, just don't call anybody a **** obviously. :)

I take your point, of course, but I am not sure it's that hazy. I don't really understand why these social media sites are allowed to be anonymous. You have an opinion you want to share? Put your name to it. Then the consequences of saying the wrong thing can be the same on the internet or in real life.

Its stuff like this that just fans the flames imo. A prick is a prick, doesn't matter what colour you are. The police need to stop being afraid to uphold the law because of "optics".

Sky News reported that the man with the sword has been arrested and they're investigating those who attacked the man at the pub too.

Arrest after TV footage showed man 'armed with samurai sword' at counter-protest
A 46-year-old man has been arrested after TV footage showed a suspect apparently armed with a samurai sword at a counter-protest organised by a Muslim community group in Birmingham.

West Midlands Police said the man had been arrested on suspicion of possession of an offensive weapon.

An assault on a drinker outside Yardley's Clumsy Swan pub in the city was being investigated, the force said.

Other inquiries were also under way into damage caused to windows at the pub, attempts to slash a tyre on a Sky News truck and damage caused to a Skoda car that was forced to drive across a grassed area after being attacked.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.