UK's first active male professional footballer to come out publicly as gay

Courageous move for a young kid just getting started in the game. But, he’s put it *out there now and can move forward without the burden of having to hide who he is. Here’s hoping that any fans that have a problem with him over his sexual orientation will get quickly silenced by their fellow supporters.

*originally said “behind him” but realized that might turn into another pun thread, and it deserves more and better.

Fair play to him, very brave and a positive step forward for football.

Unfortunately the response to City's message of support (and every other clubs) on twitter makes for grim reading.

That's why people step forward, to show others they're not alone.

You can’t change religion unfortunately.

Why is it a correct decision in your opinion? Are you saying all gay players should let you know they're gay?
No one should be bothered at all....it has zero relevance to anyone but himself.

Nah, it has a lot of relevance to many other people. Visibility is important.

The only gay men I saw represented in the world when I was growing up were super camp and effeminate TV entertainers who were treated as a bit of a joke. I concluded that there was nobody in the world like me, that's a very lonely place.

Unfortunately I know people who are going through their whole lives living a lie because of that fear.

There will be kids out there who see this news and it will make a huge difference to them.

ps. I found a lot of people like me.

In a time when we have pro players up to all sorts of morally questionble things like cheating with family members and frends wags, cat kicking, biting, racism, whoring, drink driving ETC, this shouldn't be a big deal should it but unfortunately it is.

Fair play to him. Let's hope this is the last time he makes headlines for it. Shouldn't even be mentioned from here on.

Those wondering why it's a big deal and saying there's nothing to it just need to have a trawl through the comments on Twitter under the Blackpool FC statement.....

Good luck to the kid but there haven't been many (or any) who has reached the very top of the male game who has come out.

It’s interesting that it’s a young guy that’s made the jump and not an established professional.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.