Underated City Players

ifiwasarichfan said:
Alan Oakes very rarely gets a mention on the Board. In recent times Kevin Horlock and Paul Bosveldt. Horlock was a lovely player yet was completely without pace and Paul Bosveldt who came at a ripe old age for a final payday and found himself back in the Dutch squad.

agree with all of this.
alan oakes was absolute class.

Paul Bosvelt. In that epic comeback v Spurs, he was brilliant, had to fill 2 midfield roles due to Barton's sending off. Also in the 4-1 derby, in the first half, we were quite fortunate to be 2-1 up, but he came on at half time, and just stabilised everything, and it was the platform that a great win was built on.

I thought Claudio Reyna was quite underated.

Sun Jihai. I know the guy was nothing special, but he always gave his all, was versatile, and generally a solid performer. Good professional too, never moaned about playing in his favourite postion, or whenever he was benched.

<a class="postlink" href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ud9ev2dp5xw" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ud9ev2dp5xw</a>

The way he runs back to scrape the ball off the line, sums him up. Always gave his all.

my rag mates used to slag me off about shaun goater when we were in the lower leagues, a legend for some of us.................okay i think he d be underated by anyone but us!!!!!!!!!!!! god bless his cotton socks!

Was kevin Beattie at Ipswich that broke Kenny Clements's leg....

Just to answer my own question.

Paul lake? Not under rated Bobby Robson rated him highly, when unknown, Robson picked him for England squad remember it clear as day and the lad suffered his first serious injury.

Niel Young? Very unlucky to play in an era when Ramsey was manager, but ramsey did not play wingers. But who are we to question the only manager to win a World Cup.

Summerbee? played sposmadically see above. 7 caps over 8 year period, however in same period, Thompson of Liverpool only managed 1 cap.

Alan Oakes? made the World Cup provisional 30 in 1970 but missed the cut, but hey Brian Labone and Bobby Moore were awesome together, Jack Charlton went as experienced Back up, Norman Hunter was the cover for Moore, "Holding mid fielders" were Alan Mullery who was at his peak and Cover was Nobby Stiles (World Cup winner), even with bluemoon tinted glasses at the age of 9 I knew he would not get in ahead of them, but Christ I wished it.

Most under rated? Joe Corrigan, unlucky to be in the era of Shilton and Clemence but in the mid to late 70's there was not alot to choose between them, if Shilton and Clemence had had the misfortune to suffer long term career threatening injuries Corrigan with International experience would have been spoken in the same breath as them, without a doubt if he were playing now, we would have NO debates about who was England no1. Without a doubt a millennium ahead in ability of all the so called contenders at the moment.

Mick Doyle? suffered from the same affliction as Alan Oakes, however did win 5 England Caps, like Oakes his versatility played against him, he vied for two central defensive positions with Oakes,Booth and Watson at City alone, this was LONG before "squad rotation". Played against Italy in the 78 World Cup (Qualifying) campaign and got murdered by Roberto Bettega, alongside Brooking and Brian Greenhoff. Anyway Watson and MacFarland were Mustard, we were looking for a successor to Robert Moore, Colin Todd and Beattie were the men and with respect to the legend, he weren't in their class. Unfortunately Revie did not like Todd or Beattie, Crazy Horse(Emlyn Hughes rip) and Phil Thompson got the long term nod alongside Watson. But he still won more Caps than
Kendall and Harvey who were part of the best mid-field I ever saw. (total 1 cap between them)

Denis Tueart? It was crazy at the time, Tueart and Gordon Hill were the main wingers of the day(Goal scoring), there was a newspaper campaign almost universal, that decreed that Revie had picked the wrong wingers!!

Revie resigned, Greenwood took the papers at their word, promptly dropped Hill and Tueart who F***** off to the NY Cosmos, AND PICKED Steve Coppell and Peter Barnes instead.

Peter Barnes? Possibly the unluckiest and most under rated, deffo, deffo think it fucked his career also. Greenwood (England Manager) played with a very adventurous 4-2-4. Wilkins and Brooking were the 1st pick in mid field , Keegen played in the hole, (not a new phenomenon) Latchford was a monster of a centre forward, and Coppell and Barnes supplied the ammo from the wings. We were cruising towards qualification towards Euro 80. We played a friendly against Austria, if memory serves me right we were winning 3-0 in Austria, the 2nd half Austria murdered us, we were over confident, Barnes did not track back, and we lost 4-3. Greenwood bottled it, with no pressure from the media, and the Bryan Robson era was upon us. Barnes never played for England again. We also went from a positive free flowing attacking side into an absolute shambles.

Gary Owen? shipped out to WBA with Barnes, however played with the 1st 3 black superstars, Batson, Cunningham and Regis. However he was never going to get past Wilkins, Robson and Brooking. Unlucky to lose Book as manager and be replaced by Allison.

To put in perspective, we currently have 5 full England International footballers on our books. Collectively they have won more caps than the players named above.

NICKS BACK said:
Peter Barnes? Possibly the unluckiest and most under rated, deffo, deffo think it fucked his career also. Greenwood (England Manager) played with a very adventurous 4-2-4. Wilkins and Brooking were the 1st pick in mid field , Keegen played in the hole, (not a new phenomenon) Latchford was a monster of a centre forward, and Coppell and Barnes supplied the ammo from the wings. We were cruising towards qualification towards Euro 80. We played a friendly against Austria, if memory serves me right we were winning 3-0 in Austria, the 2nd half Austria murdered us, we were over confident, Barnes did not track back, and we lost 4-3. Greenwood bottled it, with no pressure from the media, and the Bryan Robson era was upon us. Barnes never played for England again. We also went from a positive free flowing attacking side into an absolute shambles.

That not true. Austria were 3-1 up.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.