United (H) Post Match Thread

Still very predictable, and with the players the Rags have the only way to play against us.

We would destroy them 99 times out of 100 if they came out and played an open attacking game, our players are far better footballers.
I don’t think that first 20 minutes was predictable at all to be honest.

We expected them to sit back and play on the counter.

But in the first 20 minutes, they did the exact opposite.

They pushed up really high and were really aggressive trying to win the ball high up the pitch.

Mancini helped build the foundations of what this club now is, and we all should never forget that.

And one last point, Mancini knew what a game against the Rags meant to the fans, I am not sure Pep gets that, however superior he is as a manager.

I agree entirely about Mancini - loved him & what he did for us. I doubt anyone will ever forget that.
However, he was an odd man who seems to fall out with players & staff very easily so he has no longevity. Pep is a success because he sees the big picture. A Derby might not be as important to him than overall success. It is what it is

I understand people here coming on to defend Pep but in all seriousness he should have himself and the team up for this fixture. To lose to them on the odd occasion is slighlty acceptable but to do it on a now regular basis is not on. His over thinking in big games is infuriating and will cost City again especially when he does it against grossly inferior teams like Salford are.

I know, that’s why I left that out because it makes it worse. We should be flexible enough to be able to drop a few balls over the top. I stand corrected. I still think United prefer to play teams where they are expected to have less of the ball. When they have to be creative and break teams down....
Yeh I agree with you, they’re tailor made to sit deep and play on the break. I think that’s why their record away from home is so good.

I also agree we need to be able to adapt when teams play high up, to use our pace to exploit the space behind.

Unfortunately I think only Foden has the pace and the instinct to make that run in behind.

Mahrez and Sterling only want the ball to feet. Aguero doesn’t have the pace anymore. And Jesus is offside.

They pressed us higher up the pitch than any team has this season in the first 20 minutes yesterday.

Even Gary Neville said it was the highest line he'd ever seen a Manchester United team play away from home.
You would have thought with the players we have, it would have been simple just knock the ball into space behind them. I dont remember City doing it once.
I can remember Sterling make the run but the ball went sideways or back. Sterling throw his arms in the air that he wasnt set free !

The thing I find most frustrating is there appears to be no logic in that team selection yesterday.

Lyon is the worst tactical set up I’ve seen from a manager since Hughes was in charge.

But I kind of got the logic. Match their 3 at the back formation and hope that our superior quality man for man will see us through.

But yesterday, playing with no width, two plodders in centre midfield and Kev pushed right up alongside Jesus?

I don’t even understand the idea.

You would have thought with the players we have, it would have been simple just knock the ball into space behind them. I dont remember City doing it once.
I can remember Sterling make the run but the ball went sideways or back. Sterling throw his arms in the air that he wasnt set free !
I totally agree with you mate.

But as other posters have said, it seems if our Plan A isn’t working, we tend to just stick to Plan A.

Of course that has played a big part in us being successful, but I do agree with you, sometimes you have to adapt.

I find Sterling really frustrating at times that he won’t run in behind more.

He’s so quick, and DeBruyne could put him through with his eyes closed. But he always wants the ball to feet. It’s a real weakness in his game imo.

I like Jesus there I said it lol. But I think a Jesus without Phil and Bernie in the team is only half the player.

That front 4 of Jesus, Foden, Sterling, Bernie will give the defenders no time on the ball. To me that is Citys best attacking line up. One I would have started with yesterday.
The utd back line was never pressed was never attacked at speed.
That front 4 can operate all along the front line the defenders dont know who to mark. Jesus, Sterling and marhez doesnt work well.
If we had played with that front 4, we certainly wouldn't got beat

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.