United (N) | FA Cup Final | Post-Match Thread

I don't watch the Rags unless we play them mate, such is my utter hatred for them, so I can't comment on that one.

There will always be an element of interpretation. Handball is handball, however if the arm is down & the ball hit with power from short range, I've seen calls like that correctly ruled out because of the close proximity.

However, who determines what "close proximity" is & what a "power shot/pass" is? Again this is where interpretation & opinion come in.

Having said this, the arm being away from the body in an unnatural position is probably the closest we'll get to a resolution where there's more for this rule than against it.

But again as pointed out by Grealish, how's he supposed to jump & keep his arms down whilst trying to gain leverage?

It's unfair as Grealish evidently didn't intentionally intend to handle the ball, but I'll give you a scenario if you can be so kind as to give me your considered opinion...

So when keepers are faced with an onrushing player preparing to shoot, goalies are told to make themselves as big as possible to provide a block. I think on this one we can all agree.

Now as someone commented earlier, all handball's should be judged on intent, which is all about interpretation & opinion. But here's a scenario...

A defender (just like a keeper) makes himself big to block a chance which strikes his outstretched arm. He knows a cross or shot is coming, he makes himself big & turns to the side so he's not looking at the ball & the ball strikes his outstretched arm, blocking a cross or shot.

A. Is that handball?

B. Is it intentional?

C. Is it unintentional?
It should be much simpler than that - did the team gain an advantage by the handball offence - the touch was so slight yesterday that there was no real advantage - now if it altered the course or trajectory of the ball then absolutely

My problem with yesterday is whenever there is a decision to be made United got the benefit on multiple occasions… exactly the same as at Old Trafford… that to me stinks and they should open the mics so we can hear what’s being said or put VAR in the bin

Again I think we’ve over complicated VAR - I’d much prefer it to be a flag to the refereee to take a second look and make his own opinion up on second viewing

It should be much simpler than that - did the team gain an advantage by the handball offence - the touch was so slight yesterday that there was no real advantage - now if it altered the course or trajectory of the ball then absolutely

My problem with yesterday is whenever there is a decision to be made United got the benefit on multiple occasions… exactly the same as at Old Trafford… that to me stinks and they should open the mics so we can hear what’s being said or put VAR in the bin

Again I think we’ve over complicated VAR - I’d much prefer it to be a flag to the refereee to take a second look and make his own opinion up on second viewing
This is my whole point. Even asking this question none of us have given the same answer, which proves the interpretation & opinion conundrum. \0/

I'll thrown another spanner in the works if I may... Who judges if the flight & trajectory of the ball was affected & if an advantage was lost or gained?

Again this will be down to the interpretations & opinions of the side making the pass/cross/shot, the team trying to stop the pass/cross/shot, the referee & VAR officials.

As you've said which highlights the issue:

I’d much prefer it to be a flag to the refereee to take a second look and make his own opinion up on second viewing

As you can see, herein lies the problem. One man's "opinion" on handball is another man's it should have gone this way, or that & "The ref's a corrupt twat with an agenda against us!", or "He's a decent ref for making the correct call (which I just happen to agree with)..."

How do we resolve this to cover EVERYONE'S opinion/interpretation? \0/

Just like to add probably a bit juvenile but sing your fucking shit at the rags going up for there loosers medals was just brilliant ha ha ha

So I've only just noticed we played in the old shirt not the new one worn last week at Brentford, I heard it was going to be the new one, strange, glad we played in the old, hope we do next week.
It is the old one next week as well they’ve already said for both finals

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.